Cross Border

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

Cross Border

Post by Crunch »

Just wondering... I'm in Ontario. Has anyone ever ordered a bow from the States? Do you get killed on the S&H and duty? Where is a good place to order from if I break down and buy a new bow?

crunch
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Ebay has a few, Some said Dan Miller (I think) Is great too but I have no phone number.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=667712

Some on here, good price.
I just love mine. Good Luck, Stosh
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stosh wrote:Ebay has a few, Some said Dan Miller (I think) Is great too but I have no phone number.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=667712

Some on here, good price.
I just love mine. Good Luck, Stosh
Here is Danny's number 740 483 2312
David at Wyvern (the link that Stosh provided) is a straight shooter.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stash

Post by Stash »

For a new bow from a retailer, if you're buying an Excalibur, try finding one right here in Ontario.

From the US, you need to specify shipping by USPS - Post Office. Do NOT use UPS or another courier - you will get dinged with an enormous brokerage fee, could be $50 or more.

There should not be any duty - you need to pay GST/PST and a small ($5-10 area) brokerage fee.

If it's a used bow, a lot of people will suggest you get the sender to mark the package as a "gift" to avoid the taxes - don't do it. It's illegal and if you get caught you could be in a lot of trouble.

Make sure it's insured!!!!

Make sure you negotiate the shipping/handling costs up from with the seller first. Some places charge a lot for handling - it takes time to package things, write up invoices, arrange for delivery, etc. There's a lot more to shipping stuff than just sticking a label on a box.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Got mine from a fella in Georgia. The duty was around $100, but it was still a good deal due to the price I paid for the setup. Took a while to get here. 2-3 weeks. I second the idea of INSURANCE!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
dutchhunter

usa

Post by dutchhunter »

I highly recamend staying in ontario keep are money at home when ever pausible.some times u cant . but it is worth trying we do have some great bow shops here in ontario that stand behind tthere products with a warrenty second to none
WalknTall

Post by WalknTall »

There should not be any duty as per NAFTA. The product was made in Canada. You will get dinged big time if you use UPS for shipping. The brokerage fees are a killer.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I bought my son's Vortex off ebay. Shipping was $40 and it shouldn't be anymore than that no matter who/where you buy one from in the US. As others have mentioned go USPS only stay far, far away from UPS.

If you can get the place you're buying it from to de-value the price it will save you some tax. They place I bought it from put the value at $400 for the bow and the scope package so I paid tax on that amount. Once all was said and done I saved about $250 over buying it locally.

If you can find a good used one you'll be way ahead of the game. Shipping should be the same. Marking as a gift is technically illegal but I've had guys do it for me countless times and I've yet to be arrested. :D
If you don't want to go the "gift" route then see if they will mark the price down to save on tax.

As a guy I know who used to work for the Feds said, buying a crossbow from the US is no different then buying a toaster. The fact that it's a hunting weapon has no consquence when it's crossing the border.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Allan

Post by Allan »

Get it from BJ here on the forum!
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

I've shipped many bows both ways. What everybody is saying about UPS..............is the truth.......they charge outrageous brokerage fees. The shipper doesn't see those charges...you get to pay them when receiving it.

No. 1 - have it shipped by post $30 - $40 range
No. 2 - insure it for what it's worth. You can't declare the value as $400 and insure it for $600.....that sorta raises eyebrows.

Canada Post charges a flat rate $5 brokerage fee for customs...then you pay GST plus your ON PST :cry: (which we don't have in AB BTW :oops: )
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
peter p

Post by peter p »

I ordered mine (exocet 200) from the bowhunters superstore in the states.
It was a good deal at $380.00 US (Canadian dollar was close to US dollar at the time) but when it gets to the border, they find out the cost of the bow in Canadian dollars and you will be paying close to the value of the bow in Canadian dollars plus taxes.
In total it cost me the value of the bow in Canadian dollars without the taxes (saved only the taxes).
If I had to do it again, I would buy it in Ontario.