Bolt cutters or sst

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

josh1963

Bolt cutters or sst

Post by josh1963 »

I just bougth a 08 equinox and just right scope package. What broadheads should I get with it?
2008 Excalibur Equinox
AP scope package
Firebolts, NGSS,Ground pounder,s-coil stabilizer,Extender and cheekpiece
TYE

Post by TYE »

It's really personal preference. I find most broadheads fly really well out of my crossbows. Compound bows... that's a whole nother story... lol

I really like the Innerloc EXP's. Excalibur packages them as their Excalibur X-Act broadheads. Same broadhead, they work great!

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m ... ent_id=118

I'm also a big fan of the Magnus 4 Blade Stingers! I have yet to find a tougher more durable broadhead yet! And they have a lifetime warranty!

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stingers.html
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I use the Wasp Boss Bullet 100 Grain, and i am very happy with them :D , Like TYE said though it is all Personal Preferance :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Oh snap I forgot to mention the Waps Boss's.... I love those heads too! By far my favourite replacement blade broadhead.
mikej

Post by mikej »

as these guys said its personal preference i prefer spitfire mechanicals rockets are good too
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats on the new bow.
I use 100grn G5 Montecs but am thinking about trying the Bolt Cutters in 150.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Big John

bra

Post by Big John »

I shoot a couple Max's, and others. I've found the WASP'S to be very good. Especially the Hammer SST. They are 1-3/16" w. As opposed to 1-1/16" or 1-1/8". But the Slick's perform well also, although they may require a little more tuning. As a side note: I made a bunch of Turkey bolt's a couple week's abck. They are 400 gr. With 125 gr. heads. They fly like darts. With Quick Spin's on them. I wanted a little more speed for turkey, usually use 430 gr. I may try the Bolt Cutters on them in the fall.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm finding 4 bladed, smallish fixed blades--like Slick Tricks--prevent the arrow from planing and are, therefore, more accurate one arrow to the next. Mine also shoot to the same point as field tips of same weight, allowing me to forgo practicing with BH's. I'm shooting them on Lazar II Gold Tip carbpon arrows, with 100 gr brass inserts and 2" Blazers for vanes. Overall weight of 410 grns (using 100 gr Slicks) and +20% FOC.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

josh1963 . . .depends on the distance of the shot. If you are shooting 20 yards or less, it's really not going to matter. Longer yardages require a mechanical to maintain accuracy(less than 2" group) in hunting conditions.

I personally like the wide cut mechanicals for their accuracy and ability to bring a deer down quickly. I use the Rocket Hammerheads, but, I like the looks of the Rocket Stricknines. The Hammerheads are relatively cheap. Use rubberbands instead of the O-rings.

Good choice on your selection of bow. Enjoy.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ehntr

Re: Bolt cutters or sst

Post by ehntr »

josh1963 wrote:I just bougth a 08 equinox and just right scope package. What broadheads should I get with it?
When I read Josh's post I read that he is asking what BH's come with the "just right scope package"? The "package" on the website lists the standard 100 gr 3 Blade Wasp BH's......................maybe the Boltcutters are going to be included in future packages.........anybody know?

Josh............there is nothing inadequate about the 100 gr BH's that come with the package. They are good BH's.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I use Montec G5 - 100g, I may switch to the 125g or may try those boosters 25g to bump up the 100 to 125g. just to play the 100g G5 flew great, as go as field points.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

enhtr . . .I think you are right.

josh1963 . . .you most likely will get the Wasp Fixed Blade broadhead. It doesn't specify in the description, but, the Wasp Fixed Blades are shown in the picture of the Right Stuff Package. That's what I got . . .I don't know of anyone that's gotten something different. They are a very good broadhead. However, I recommend a mechanical broadhead in the bow you have. The higher speeds will make fixed blade broadheads do crazy things sometimes. Especially if you don't put them on exactly right.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen