MY EXOCET IS BAD !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

MY EXOCET IS BAD !

Post by confederate »

I have an 2004 Exocet 175. Last year I bought a new camo stock and limbs for it to upgrade from the brown that it came with. It has always been super accurate. I just recently bought some slick tricks to try. Man those things are unreal! I shot it today out to 30 yards and they are dead on with my field points. You better believe I will be hunting with them this year.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Right on man!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
maple

Post by maple »

OK OK

Bad.
Is that good or bad in the new lingo?
diesel

Post by diesel »

Yes sir that's what I'm talking about.
confederate

Post by confederate »

Its really amazing the accuracy of these Excaliburs. If you do your part they will stack arrows. I have never owned any other brand. when I first changed over to a Crossbow I did a lot of research and Excalibur came out on top. Do the other brands shoot as accurate as Excalibur?
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If you think that Slicks shooting straight is cool, wait till you see what they do to a set of lungs. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Pydpiper wrote:If you think that Slicks shooting straight is cool, wait till you see what they do to a set of lungs. :D
X2
"Eze 18:21"
saxman

Post by saxman »

I need to give them a try :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I just might try them allso :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
confederate

Post by confederate »

I started reading about slick tricks in 2004 on this forum. I had never heard of them. Seems every other post was about slick tricks. It even spread to all the other archery site too. I finally decided that this spring I was gonna give them a try and I sure am glad I did. They feel very strong and remind me of a mini thunderhead which I shot for many years with a compound bow.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
ehntr

Slick Tricks and your new bow

Post by ehntr »

yes, I see you like it....alot :lol:

So tell me exactly what Slick Tricks you are using.....model/grs.....

Big Thank you...
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I don't like to talk bad about a particular product. And this isn't exactly about the Slick Tricks, it's about all the "mini-heads" out there. I gave away my Slick Tricks in trade for another forum member's mechanicals. I did this because I found the relatively short blades to be insufficient to down a deer quickly enough. Sure, with a bit of extra care in tuning the Slick Tricks, they are accurate . . .especially at 20-25 yards or less. However, I lost too many deer(one is too many) via tracking issues. One of these was what looked like a perfect double lung shot at 18 yards.

After switching to the mechanicals . . .2" cut, I have had no tracking issues. Maybe it was a two deer fluke(one of these was on the move and was gut shot, still dropped within 20 yards). Therefore, I'll stay with the larger cut blades until I find something that will drop a deer quicker. There are too many stories on this forum about deer getting away.

The speeds of these new crossbows/compounds have put pressure on the broadhead companies to develop a broadhead that will not plane so easily. Their answer was to shorten the blades and the head. Unfortunately, the shorter they get, the less cutting they actually do. Less cutting, less bleeding, longer tracking jobs, higher chance of a losing a deer.

And, yes, I have dropped deer in their tracks with the Slick Tricks and the Wasps . . .but, it just makes sense that a larger cut is better. There is the arguement about the actual amount of cutting surface. The Slick Trick four blade magnums have a good amount of actual cutting surface. They still fall well short of the three blade 2" cut and way short of the 2.5" three blades. I perfer the wider cut as opposed to the concentrated cut. You stand a much better chance of cutting something important.

Think about it. The notion that the average cut on contact, fixed blade is far superior to the average mechanical might have been valid a few years ago. However, it's losing the battle of the field testing I'm doing. Especially in a crossbow that shoots over 300fps.

Maybe someone should start a poll about lost deer . . .shot with a short blade or a wide blade.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
confederate

Post by confederate »

I sure dont want to start a fire about broadheads but let me say this. I have killed 85 or 90 Deer with a compound and 6 or 7 with a crossbow. I have never shot a mechanical. I have seen people on hunting shows pushing rage and other brands saying how good they are yet 90 percent of the time when they shoot a deer it runs off with 3/4 of the arrow sticking out due to lack of penetration. That doesnt impress me at all. The smallest head I have ever shot is a thunderhead 85 and I killed a bunch of deer with them. Also, I have shot deer that I would have sworn I hit perfect till I found them and I was surprised to see it was way off what I thought. A double lung hit will put a deer down for sure but I have seen a deer run a hundred yards in 8 to 10 seconds and if it runs that far here in the south I want an exit hole. I havent tested the slick tricks on a deer so I cant speak for what they will do to one but they are a super accurate head for sure.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Confederate . . .the fire has been burning for a long time. :lol: It's simply getting hotter, that's all. :) I've killed a lot of deer with fixed blade broadheads too, especially in my compound days. However, I wasn't shooting anything as fast as my Exomax. I wasn't shooting anything as small as the "mini heads" either.

A complete pass through is nice because it allows your arrow to escape any damage. However, it's not needed to drop a deer. It does allow for a better chance of tracking. However, with the two I've shot with the mechanical, tracking wasn't included with the deal. :D

As far as accuracy, just plain physics will tell you the mechanicals have an advantage, especially in hunting conditions.

The downside to the mechanicals is the blades are not as strong. However, I've bent up my fair share of fixed blades too. The other downside is the preception that the blades might not open or they will open prematurely. I'm finding that if they are banded properly, then they open every time upon contact. Also, Innerloc and NAP(probably others) have come out with mechanicals that do not use rubberbands nor O-rings. I haven't tried the Innerloc yet, but, have heard good things. I haven't shot the NAPs enough to really comment. The NAP Spitfires prematurely opened on me(30% of my shots) . . .however, the NAP Spitfire Magnums did not(the few times I've shot them).

I got to face the facts . . .I harvest via loss of blood. I have a weapon that can accurately propel an arrow well over 330 fps even with a heavy head. There's enough KE to create a complete pass through even with a 2.5" blade. Why not use it?

Oh yeah . . .you could be right, maybe the shot I made only looked like a solid double lung.

Try a wide 3-blade mechanical on a deer . . .then let me know what you think.

How many deer have you gut shot and they drop within 20 yards? I've never done that before with my rifle. That's what turned me on to the wide blades.

Thanks,

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
confederate

Post by confederate »

Scott, I dont think you can depend on an arrow to drop a deer with in sight. Sooner or later you will need an exit wound to help you especialy if you dont make a perfect hit. Ive shot Deer with a rifle right behind the shoulder that dropped on the spot, then later made the same shot on another deer and it would run 75 yards. If a rifle wont do it then an arrow wont either. I have friends that shoot mechanicals and they kill deer. I have one friend that shoots the sniper because I recomeneded it to him if he was gonna shoot mechanicals. After looking at it I thought it was the best design out there at the time and is still up there with the best. That being said I still dont shoot them. My buddie always kills deer with them
but on less than perfect shots at any distance he still has problems with penetration and thats normally on does and young bucks too, not big bodied Bucks. As far as the gut shot deal goes let me say this. If you make a true gut shot and I mean thru the stomach only, you got problems even with a rifle. Lots of time we hit the gut but also hit something else vital that help us out. I have seen some fawns shot thru the gut that didnt go far. They just dont seem to have the stamina of older Deer. On the matter of slick tricks, I have shot them from my Cross bow out to 30 yards at 300 fps or better and believe me they are pinpoint accurate. There are thousands of Bowhunters who swear by them and they seem to be happy with there blood trails. I will have to speak to that part after I start killing animals with them. Right now I am very happy with there accuracy. Ok with all this said I am enjoying the debate. Im getting ready to leave for Florida on a fishing trip so I will be gone till tuesday. I will look forward to more debate when I get back brother. :D
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340