Modified treestands for use with my crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8up

Modified treestands for use with my crossbow

Post by 8up »

Spent today checking over some of my treestands. This is my first year with a crossbow. I got to thinking about having the crossbow in the stand and came up with this idea that I added to three ladder stands.

I bought Flat stock at the hardware and 1/4"-20 bolts & nuts. Then after a few bends and a little cutting and drilling my bracket was made. I cut some rubber hose and will use camo tape to secure the hose. Now the crossbow sits nicely without me needing to hold it.

2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thats a Great idea 8) Thank You for shareing :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

good idea but have you tried to sit in the stand with the bow in the holder?

how about with all your cold weather clothing on?

To me it looks like you are taking up a lot of leg room on an already small stand.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Good idea but as Rick says it look like you've used up leg room on a small stand. Another observation: Appears to be far too easy to bump it and send it falling to the ground. :(
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
8up

Post by 8up »

It keeps you from extending your legs while its there, but it can easily be put in your lap anytime you want. At 5' 8" my legs arent real long to start with. I sat for 18 years with a vertical bow between my legs never in a holder so this wont be much different except that I can have both hands free.

Cold weather? Our season starts the last week of September its usually 85 degrees. We usually don't see our first frost until mid October. November 3rd our muzzloader season opens. I rarely hunt if its going to below freezing. I'm retired and can hunt every day from Sept. 22 until Jan. 6th minus 4 days for youth hunts. I am usually tagged out or burnt out long before our seasons are over.

Griz it actually lays back towards you enough that it would take pretty good hit to fall forward and even then the stirup would catch the under side of the stand. I'm not saying it couldn't fall but I don't plan on testing it either.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
frisky

Post by frisky »

I wrap a piece of 10 gauge electric wire around the tree at eye level. I twist the ends together, into a pigtail, then bend it into a hook. I hang the bow by the stirrup on this hook. I loosen the wire at the end of the season. Works for me!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Sounds like you have all the bugs worked out of it. I don't hunt from a tree stand anymore. Too tough for me to get up unless it's a ladder stand. Where I hunt is a long walk and carrying a ladder stand is a real chore, so I hunt from a ground blind. I use a $20.00 guitar stand to hold my bow. I modified it slighly by bending it back a bit so the CB isn't so straight up and down. Work great, Comes apart and fits in the carrying case with the blind. I use a folding lawn chair so I am quite comfortable.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
8up

Post by 8up »

I hunt 90% from treestands I try to get 1 new one a year. I think I have 5 ladder stands, 4 lock on's, 2 climbers I use as lock on's and one Climber. I will put them up and leave and just inspect them ocassionally.
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

what I did with mine last year is I have a few of the bow holders that screw in the tree with a arm. I just hang the bow by the stirrup on the arm and I can swing it as I need to, or I just lay it on my shooting rail and hang it when I need to stand up.
speedball

Post by speedball »

great idea, just wish i could keep my stands long enough in the woods to enjoy them, other nice people like to cut my cables and steal my stuff!!!! :x :x
gone huntin never to return................
8up

Post by 8up »

speedball wrote:great idea, just wish i could keep my stands long enough in the woods to enjoy them, other nice people like to cut my cables and steal my stuff!!!! :x :x
nothing worse than a thief :x :evil: