a little off topic but hopefully someone can help me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

a little off topic but hopefully someone can help me

Post by mikej »

can anyone tell me a way to fix a leak in an aluminum boat if any one has had this problem and found a product that works i would really appreciate hearing of it as well if this kind of thing isn't allowed please delete thanks

mike
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Where is the leak Mike? A seam? a rivot? Or a hole?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Assuming it's a hole, I used JB Weld (a glue) with an aluminum patch on both sides. Holds like nothing else I've tried. I did one for a friend the same way---35 yrs ago! Still working.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i'm not exactly sure if its a seam or a leak or a hole it was smashed hard on the front and the centre rail had been replaced and the whole bottome covered with bondo fibre glass tar and bed liner i'm trying to do it properly without going to the expense of a welder so i think a good place to start is on that centre rail with jb wled would i use jb weld for all of it or is there a better way and how about aluminum brazing rods do the work would that be better then jb thanks

mike
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i have an aluminum canoe that has a 30 year old patch made of a screw a nut and 2 flat washers with a piece of rubber gasket material between the washers and the hull. i had a 40 plus mile per hour john boat that a welding shop successfully permanently fixed in the bow area.... all to say performance and use may determine what repair will be required... i have a friend that was well pleased with that J-B weld stuff on his alum. john boat... my experience with any of those epoxy type fixers is to be sure what you are working on is VERY clean,VERY dry and warm. good luck!
thanks philip
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

mike.........if you neaver welded aluminum..i would suggest you dont try it out on your boat..
you will end up burning all kinds of new holes into it..
if its the main front seam..i would grind out all the fibre glass that was used to fix it before,then starting of with a good clean and dry surface,i would refibre glass the area inside and out of the leak area
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Aluminum can be welded with a acetylene torch a bare aluminum rod with flux takes a while to master . Or you could use one of these products . Have used these Brazing rods with good success.

http://www.alumiweld.com/

They are fairly expensive . Bought some from a place called Boss tools in Windsor Ont for about $ 23.00 ( 1/2 # or so ). As with all aluminum welding the surface has to be extremely clean before starting.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

mikej,
Since you are going the patch route I'm assuming that your boat isn't highly powered or will not be treated rough in future outings. If it is you may want to consider having it welded. Especially since the problem spot is near the front which is typically the hardest working part of a boat. I somehow managed to bust a 6-inch crescent shaped crack in the middle of the bottom of my BassTracker. The faster I went the more water it took on. The bilge pump could keep up fine.

As others have mentioned, welding aluminum is difficult and is something best left to a maser. I tried as well and confirmed I'm also no master. I took it to a local professional welding shop and $50 later it is as good as new. It is really quick and easy and provides a safe permanent solution. You just have to find the right person for the job.

DuckHunt
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Cabelas sells a heat applied expoy stick made by 3M especially for aluminum boats. It work great. I used it on the trapping flat bttom boat. This boat takes it really tough during trapping season and this expoy stuff holds up fantastic.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... &noImage=0
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks for all the help guys no the boat isn't high powered its got a 20 horse merc on it and as far as abuse all i fish is lake trout and pickeral so mostly trolling other then running accross the lake i'm gonna try the epoxy if that don't work will either replace it or try to find a welding shop there isn't any close to me that will take aluminum if there was i would just go that route as far as cabelas i have read great reviews about that stuff and would really like to try it but i'm in canada and we don't have a cabelas just bass pro so i can't get it thanks again

mike
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Mike, if you're anywhere near Guelph or KW I have a friend that can weld/fix just about anything. Let me know if you're in the area and I'll give you his shop info.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks anyways vix chick but i'm about 8 hours northeast of you but i appreciate the thought

mike
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mike, I found a stick of the green stuff. Pm me and it's yours.
Don
Some people just like stepping on rakes
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I've taken my 17' alluminum canoe and cut about a foot and a half off the back and made a flat back for it. I did this for mounting a trolling motor on for hitting the local reservoirs. I made an angled Al. bracket for the frame and a piece of Al. sheet for the back. Drilled offset holes in each piece, broached the holes square, applied sealant, then carriage bolted it all together. The sealant I used was made by 3M and is a marine grade sealant. I purchased it from Wal Mart in the boat section. There were about three different types and I used the one that doesn't completely harden. I did this about three years ago and haven't had any trouble at all with leaks from the boat. The boat also catches the eyes of many John boaters when I'm blowing past them in my 55# thrust trolling motor powered canoe! I thought I had pictures of it on this computer but can't seem to find them. I'll try and post some later. But to get back to your post this was the product that I used and have been extremely happy with it.
Why ride when you can walk!
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

I have seen the groundpounder canoe.
As always a quality job. Looks really cool.
Fastest canoe in the county.
Hey pounder aren’t you supposed to be working.