posted speeds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

onmedic

posted speeds

Post by onmedic »

Since i've started investigating into xbows, and of course im a smart shopper and i'm looking at all types and different makes of course. I've looked at Middleton so far and i used to own an exocet which i liked alot. The middleton was a 315 and went through the chrono at well over that speed.
My question is. How does excalibur rate their bows. I know with a compound its all IBO which is 70lbs, 30" DL and an arrow that is 5grn/lbs.
So what would i have to shoot to get the advertised speed for a particular model.
My bro in law has an older style exocet with a new string. Now it is older but it certainly does not shoot the speed that was posted for that year of exocet.
Middleton was nice but the excalibur with the scope dialed in to the bow is certainly taking the advantage thats for sure. Bigget benefit i've seen so far.
I've yet to check out the compound style but screwed on a long trip in the bush somewhere if something happens to it. I do like the reduced noise apect and physically smaller thats for sure.
Thats why i'm interested in the phoenix, its smaller. Don't need anything over 300fps.
Elite Archery
I want to be like Bill
FROW
Ontario Monster Whitetail Magazine
"Beasleys" Canada In The Rough
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My Exocet does exactly what it says it will.
If you are considering a Middelton I suggest you try this:
Imagine a problem with the bow, say a split limb. Call both companies and explain your issue. Excal will have you shooting before the sun goes down, You will not likely make contact with "fiddelton" for weeks, if at all.
You are comparing apples to oranges.
Derek Middelton is a clown, a two-bit cloning piece of crap. His bows are a reflection of that.
Last year Brad Ingold of Ingold archery did a 3D with his "middleston" it blew up in his hands before he could finish, he continued with an Excalibur and won. It seems dealers prefer to push their middleton bows due to a profit margin, but in the end you end up with a second rate bow that is prone to problems that can not be resolved.
Middleton is a cloner, a guy who trys to make profit form another mans work, the bottom of the barrel of mankind. That is my opinion of course. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

i was talking to a guy at BPS last night and he said that they sell more xcals than any other bow in stock. says something dosnt it :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Brent, you were likely talking to Stash..He works there. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That was the sugar coated version. :D
I despise clones.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When Middleton first appeared, he was accessible. Now, not so much. I just thought it was cheesey on his website where he claimed to be "more accurate" than a Excalibur, yet he did nothing to try and prove it. He lost credibility right there with me.

Anyway . . .I agree with David. Pound for pound, Excalibur has the better product, the better customer service, and the best forum. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

i've never heard of middleton before but its looks to me that those bows on his site are designed alot like the excals the safety is even the same and comparing the trigger pull to that of a rifle seems i've heard that before as well. and as far as his lifetime warranty i'm sure that sounds good but when you need to claim it i bet its a totally different story. anyone could could build a crossbow if all they did was rip off someone elses design and hard work, this guy sounds like a joke to me just my opinion
terry-1

cbow

Post by terry-1 »

The limbs look very thin to me on the Middleton crossbows. I do like the looks of the 180lb model it is only 5 lbs that would be a nice to carry around. I shot my Excaliburs and new Parker Cyclone today from my shooting bench man was I have a good day all by croosbows were grouping tight all the way out to 40 yards. My older Exocet 175lb was shooting around 275 FPS with heavy Beeman Thunder bolts and near 290FPS with Gold Tips and 100gr heads. My Cyclone was hitting around 340 FPS using Parker bolts and 125gr heads. With 100gr heads it was hitting 350FPS. I desided to shoot the 100gr G5 Montec 3 blades this fall the total weight with Parker bolt was right at 400gr measured on my Dillon power scale and speed was htting right at 350+FPS through my Chrony with 2" groups at 25 yards. Can't argue with that I was going to try some new 125gr steelforce broadheads that just came in stock at our local archery store but after today's shooting time I am not changeing anything. If it works leave it alone! :D
onmedic

Post by onmedic »

ouch Pyd, thanks fuz, thats what i was looking for, i know now what i would have to shoot in order to acheive those speeds.
If excaliburs customer service is that good than i can expect to have it replaced if it doesn't perform to those specs.
Elite Archery
I want to be like Bill
FROW
Ontario Monster Whitetail Magazine
"Beasleys" Canada In The Rough
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have the Exomax and the Exocet and would take them over any other crossbow on the market hands down 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

well now let me tell you how the calf ate the cabbage! one bite at a time!
speeds of CB's you will not get the excal stated speed with heavy arrows. they say 350 gr. speed gives flatter traj. over longer distance. for the most shooting give or take a few yds. if you know your CB 40 yds. i have both vixen & phoenix they harvest animals and do it well. quality CB's from a quality company. my phoenix fps with 2216 weighing 395 grs 290
vixen is carved tip limbs fps 345 grs 265. never had nary a problem harvesting my game
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

warrenty

Post by dutchhunter »

My buddy split a limb on his phenix 30$ shipping he was back in buizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It's like the MPG rating posted posted in windows of new cars. Under IDEAL conditions...
The Excals I've chroned will do the listed speed with 350 gr arrows and the string set to highest point....if the air isn't too dense.
I was pleasantly surprised that the Cyclone I just wrung out shot as advertised: 350 fps with a 400 gr arrow. But it's laud and so narrow that I'll have to rebuild the bow press to restring it. In the field? NO WAY!
My Vortex is still the simplest, easiest to take care of bow I've owned. Accurate to a fault. And it gets an honest 320 fps with the arrows I make.

I've had my flings with 'neat looking' bows--largely because I enjoy making things work and the thrill of the new and different--but if I had to choose one it would be EXCALIBUR.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The speed thing is always a point of discussion in the archery business and some manufacturers are less than honest with thier speeds. Bill and I recently spent quite a bit of time shooting all of our bows through a chronograph using all arrow and tip combinations. The crossbows we used were just models we had laying around from trade shows so we did nothing special to them.

We were very happy to discover that all models did at least what we advdertised and some did better. Each of our crossbows is an "individual" since they are pretty much hand-built but they will be pretty darn near what we advertise if you use the same string and arrow weight we used during testing. If you follow this link to our website you can see what each model will do with what arrow and tip weight:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m ... ent_id=132

Let us know what you think of this information.

Peter