Cabela's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gaffle

Cabela's

Post by Gaffle »

A story about how Cabela's stands by their products.

About a month ago, I went to Cabela's store in Ft Worth to get a scope for my new Vixen. I'd intended to get a VariZone, but they didn't have any in stock. No LumiZones either. In fact, no crossbow scopes at all that would work on a Weaver style base. Plenty of Barnett scopes, but they only fit tip-off bases.

The guy behind the counter said I should go try the bargain cave. There was only one there, a TenPoint 3X Proview. It was on sale for the same price as the VariZone, which was a great deal. When I got it home though and mounted it on the Vixen, it became obvious that the crosshairs were not square with each other. Defective product. The label on the box said 'Sold As Is. No Return.' I thought at that point I was screwed.

Well, I got a customer survey from them asking about my shopping experience. Now, being one that's always had the outlook that you don't ask a question that you don't want to hear the answer for, I told them about my experience. I told them I didn't think too kindly of a store that would put out defective merchandise for sale with a no return policy and generally read them the riot act.

The next day, I got a call on my voice mail from the manager, telling me he wanted to make things right. I just got back from visiting with him. He told me Cabela's has a liberal return policy because of the bargain cave, that most everything in there are returned items and they often don't know a product is defective unless the customer tells them so when they bring it back. (Word of caution - THOROUGHLY check anything you buy in the bargain cave at a Cabela's store!. I've never had a problem with Cabela's before and trusted them, so I didn't.)

To make a long story short, they ordered me a brand new VariZone and cut me one heck of a deal on it, to make up for my gas money driving back over there. It wound up giving me enough store credit that I was able to buy a range ramrod for my muzzleloader, a pound of Pyrodex and a box of percussion caps and still have a little left over.

Just wanted to give them a good thumbs up from me for their service and wanting to make their customers happy.
"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda
Stash

Post by Stash »

The "big box" stores often get a bad rap, but generally the customer service is great.

If you have an issue and approach them calmly and politely, you will generally be extremely satisfied with the way you are treated.

The managers have no personal stake in profit/loss on any single item, and it's in their and the stores' best interest to make an unhappy customer into a happy one.

As for archery technical help, it can be hit-or-miss. If you need expert archery service, ask the people you're dealing with what their level of expertise is before they start on your equipment. You may come across someone who is new and inexperienced, but generally there is someone on staff (who may or may not be on duty that day) who knows their way around a bow or crossbow, so maybe phone first before dropping in.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i don't know about cabelas as we have none in canada not any that i have ever heard of or been to but i've had good dealing with the bass pro in vaughn they have excellent customer service and one amazing store. i'd rather go there then to canadas wonderland next door any day.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Gaffle.... welcome to the forum. I have done a small amount of business with Cabelas and have been pleased with them!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've been buying from Cabela's for years and have always been satisfied with their customer service. I've never felt cheated in any dealings with them.
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum :D I use Cabellas on ocassion and have allways been very happy with them :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

When I bought my rifled slug gun I ran up to Bass Pro (1 3/4 hour drive each way) and bought a very cheap scope for it, actually 2 cheap scopes, Redheads. I needed them in a hurry thats why I made the drive.
I got home and immediately noticed one of the threads was never machined rendering the scope useless to me.
When I called, the customer service rep said to bring it back which was not possible at the time, then she put me through to the manager of the hunting department, I had a new scope on my gun in less that 24 hours, he even offered to drop it off himself. That speaks volumes about how they feel about their customers and I give them my business when ever it is possible because of it.
The cheap scope is still on my slug gun, held true for many, many of the hardest hitting slugs money can buy, I flinch just thinking about it. :D
I have no issues with the big box stores.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string