carbon arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

carbon arrows

Post by mikej »

i'm looking for opinions on carbon arrows. does anybody have any good or bad? i am thinking about trying them and which brand is a good one i haev been using easton xx75 2219's with spitfire 125's
Rich

Post by Rich »

I use Gold Tip II's, I fletch my own using 2" Blazers and brass inserts. They fly like darts, no complaints from me.

Rich
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike . . .I use the carbons because I do a lot of target shooting. I pull, bend, and tug the arrows out of the target. Then I just shoot them again . . .good as new. I've used Gold Tips and Beman Thunderbolts and like them both equally.

The downside . . .they will break. However, it seldom happens and the impact has to be with a very solid object at just the right angle. Some guys don't like to hunt with them for fear of a arrow breaking in a deer and having carbon splinters in their meat.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

ok thanks for the info guys. the gt II's seem to be top choice from what i have been reading would i have to use different broadheads? as well is it possible to buy carbon already made or do you have to get them in raw shafts and make your own.i have no idea how to do this

mike
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike,
You do not have to build your own. However, I find it fun and easy. Plus, I know they will stay together that way and I'm confident try will fly straight. The reason I started building my own however was because of repair jobs on the arrows. If a vane flies off, then I can just replace it . . .no big deal.

The fletching jigs looked scary to me when I started. Hard to decide which one to choose. I ended up with the Arizona EZ fletch . . .probably because of the EZ in the name(actually it was because of Gary L.'s video). It works fine for my use. I got a 4 degree offset(you will want some offset, do not get straight). You want the regular one, not the one for carbon arrows . . .the one for carbon arrows is for the small dia. arrows.

Do a search on the AZ EZ and you will find all the information you will need . . .plus some.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

My favourite crossbow arrow was definitely the Beman Thunderbolts. I have had damaged 2216's, 2219's, and Gold Tips, but never damaged Bemans. I shot them through aluminum, steel, etc and not one broke.
Gaffle

Post by Gaffle »

When I got my Vixen, I picked up a half dozen Cabela's Stalker X Bolts. Haven't tried broadheads with them yet, but they shoot darn well. I'm using 140 gn field points with them.

I suspect they are the same thing as Easton Power Bolts, because they've got the www.bsafe.ws link printed on 'em and that's Easton's carbon arrow precaution page.

Anyway, I'm more than pleased with them.
"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda