How to Sling a Crossbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gaffle

How to Sling a Crossbow?

Post by Gaffle »

I doubt there's any right or wrong answer to this but I'm very new to carrying a crossbow on a sling. How do you carry? With the limbs up over your shoulder or down by your side? Or do you sling it crosswise over your back like a traditional back quiver?

I started out with it slung limbs up and decided it was a pain in the butt. Swapped it around to carry the thing with the limbs down by my hip so I could grab hold of a limb and use it to maneuver the limbs around and clear the brush while walking in the woods. Haven't tried the crosswise thing yet, but I've been considering giving it a try.
"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

its a pain to carry but that you must do to use it. i found the vixen and phoenix were ok in more open areas limbs up going thru thick brush in my hands at port arms to move it as needed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Gaffle

Post by Gaffle »

I don't have the port arms option because of having to use my walkin' cane. fergot to mention that. :wink:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome, Gaffle! :D

You just have to fight the contrary things into some semblance of submission when slinging them. I don't find them pleasant to transport either! :wink:
Grizz
mikew

Post by mikew »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I don't find them pleasant to transport either! :wink:
And people think that the crossbow has such an advantage..... I agree with ya Grizz!
Last edited by mikew on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i just sling it over my right shoulder just like my rifle and i don't notice it any different then the rifle no discomfort to me when passing through thick brush i take it down and carry it with one hand by my hip just like a gun. works for me but everyone is different

mike
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm with Mike . . .but, I do not have an attached quiver. I carry a hip quiver. Depending on how your quiver is atached, it could also make going through the brush/woods more difficult.

Without the quiver on the bow . . .slinging it with the limbs up works best for me. I tried it with limbs down, but, there seems to be more briars and bushes than tree limbs in my area. So, limbs up is better.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Gaffle

Post by Gaffle »

That's gotta be it! I'm 6'6" tall and I tend to get tangled up in tree branches rather worse than with briars. That's probably why limbs down works better for me. Sunovagun... That just turned into one of my DUH moments. :oops:
TYE

Post by TYE »

One thing I like about hunting with a compound bow now, that crossbow is a pain in the arse to carry around. :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

great point scott i forgot to add that. i don't have a quiver attached however by this fall i'm hoping to try a dan miller top mount. i don't expect there to be much of a difference in the way i sling it

mike
hawg hunter

slinging a crossbow

Post by hawg hunter »

The sling I use is a super sling. It has the option of carrying you xbow like a back pack . keeping the limbs at about shoulder height. helps to break brush without hanging up.here in south Texas most of the brush is head high so we push our way through without stooping over. These bows are great hunting tools but are hard to carry.
mikew

Post by mikew »

bstout wrote:...I must have found the sweet spot because I no longer think about toting my crossbow.
What he HASN'T said is that his arms are like Popeye! :shock:

-Mike
the elf

crossbow sling

Post by the elf »

Hi guys---I am short and wide--and get tangled in everything.
I use a side quiver--and a long 2 piece strap to carry my Exocet.
I put 1 loop around the stirrup and the loop on the other end around
the pistol grip.Two piece because it is infinitely adjustable.This way the xbow is horizontal front to rear with limbs pointing up and down.With this set up I can also carry a backpack for all the other stuff I seem to think I
need.I can also shorten it up to use on the 4 wheeler. I can't do pictures.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I carry mine with the sling and the limbs up like I do my rifles. To do this though you cannot really use the factory quiver mount comfortably. Either a hip quiver or a top mounted quiver mount will do. I know of three different choices so far of top mounts. Mine, Dan Millers, and Wyvern's. All three are a little different, all having pros and cons. Not trying to be self promoting, just all the ones that I know of.
Why ride when you can walk!
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I have a sling attatched to my x bow,which I carry across my chest on the left side. My hip sleeve quiver is connected to a small fanny pack, which I carry across my chest on my right side. This leaves both arms free. I must look like a Mexican bandit! Ray