OT A gun in the house

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

OT A gun in the house

Post by saxman »

A gun in the house

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

As John Steinbeck once said:

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of some one evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas! in the tank.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The reason I have a loaded gun in the house (2 actually, one in the shop) is because it's not good for the bowstring to leave it cocked that long.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

It's not hard to tell you're not in Canada! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Good one Sax! You left out; "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6", lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"It's not hard to tell you're not in Canada!"
Beautiful country, great people.....but their government is apparently afraid of them.
mikej

Post by mikej »

amen to that although that is not legal here i do support every word of it but our government seems to be trying to make it harder and harder every day for us to have guns.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

mikej wrote:amen to that although that is not legal here i do support every word of it but our government seems to be trying to make it harder and harder every day for us to have guns.
We have the same problems, although to a lesser degree. We have well over 20,000 gun laws on the books in the US, none of them work as well as a .357 in the night stand or glove box, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good one Sax!

I also like General MacArthur's quote that goes something like this. . .in a well fought war there are only winners and dead people. At least I think it was MacArthur.

My Grandfather told the police at a road block when they asked him if his rifle was loaded, he said, "wouldn't be much good if it weren't". I think he was in his late 80's at the time. He is 92 now and still carries his rifle around in the truck, loaded. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

It is allways better to be prepared :wink: [LOCKED and LOADED in the House]
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Country

Post by Country »

I can remember when my wife's friends were horrified that I had a loaded gun in the house when we had a child. Arn't you afraid that your child will find the gun and shoot himself or one of his playmates they would ask. Not at all I would respond, my son knows all about guns and has been shooting since he was two years old. It is much better to make a youngster familiar with the power and potential danger of firearms right off the bat then have them stumble across one in a dresser drawer and not know what it does. Early education and instruction are the key to avoiding accidents. By the way - 22 lr via pistol and rifle was the tool. No recoil but the sound of the mussle blast imparted respect.
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

when we had our farm in the outskirts, I always kept a loaded firearm locked in the bedroom. My children are #1, not our retarded laws!

When I worked nights, my wife knew the drill. Grab the kids and stay locked in our bedroom. Use the cell and call for help, and if that door opens and it's not the police, put a hole in it!

In those small farm towns, the OPP had about 3 towns to cover with 4 cops. "minutes away" was closer to an hour!

Now we live about 300 yards away from two drug force local police husband and wife. Now that is what I call minutes away. It's their number that's on speed dial. 911 is second!

We don't bother anymore with loaded firearms in house.
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

I am sorry to here our neighbors can not defend them selves in there house.
Maybe if something happens to someone (god forbid) and they should sue the government because they where not allowed to defined them selves and the government did nothing to protect them.

Just think 100 million dollar law suit to make the government take notice. and you can argue that it took 30 minutes for the police to show up but if you had a firearm at the ready in your position you could have protected yourself and family in seconds.
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
that one cracks me up lol
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I can remember when my wife's friends were horrified that I had a loaded gun in the house when we had a child. Arn't you afraid that your child will find the gun and shoot himself or one of his playmates they would ask. Not at all I would respond, my son knows all about guns and has been shooting since he was two years old. It is much better to make a youngster familiar with the power and potential danger of firearms right off the bat then have them stumble across one in a dresser drawer and not know what it does. Early education and instruction are the key to avoiding accidents. By the way - 22 lr via pistol and rifle was the tool. No recoil but the sound of the mussle blast imparted respect.
Made the same decision with my 2 boys when they were only 3 about 10
years ago. Had so many guns that I decided to educate them early and let them shoot and hold them whenever they wanted to. Taught them how to disassemble and assemble them and all the aspects of marksmanship and safety. Best decision I ever made for their and my well-being, safety and participation in the sport. They still NEVER go to the Gun Closet without asking, never pick up a firearm at home or anywhere else unless at the range with me and generally have a great respect for them. I agree wholeheartedly with the above poster.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have some friends that would never want a firearm in the house. The last time we visted them their 3 boys (ages 7-12) were running around the house pointing toys guns at each other in play. They tried to get our 3 year old to join in the fun, but our boy was stunned that they would point the guns at each other. It was an eye opening experience for me. These people are virtually "anti's" and yet their kids don't think twice about pointing guns at each other. How did that happen?

Since we have guns in the house and since our boy goes to the range with us, (he brings his toys guns along), we strive to model safe gun handling and we show him how to handle his toy guns safely too. I realize the time will come when he'll probably understand the difference better between "pretend" or toys guns, and real firearms, but until then we will continue to encourage him to treat all "guns" as "live". Practice makes perfect - we want him to be comfortable and safe when he handles the real thing.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.