Hello Excalibur Forum

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hetichunter

Hello Excalibur Forum

Post by hetichunter »

Been lurking around here for quite a while and Peter finally got me hooked up so I thought I would say hey. I should tell you right away that I don’t have a crossbow and don’t have any intentions of gettin one. Cant use one in Illinois without doctors slip. But there are lots of guys like me from other hunting forums that have been coming here a lot cause the forum here is getting like a cult following. Most of us come here cause we started reading Mike P here and we got hooked and he does not post at any of the other forums. So I hope you don’t mind a non-crossbow guy in your midst. I thought you ought to know that this forum is gettin like tons of visitors as word has gotten out!!!!
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome!
This is a crossow forum, but you'll find most of us are more interested in the hunting than what tool you choose to hunt with.
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Welcome ... Great Forum for sure !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome aboard
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Welcome
i don't personally own one as of yet but looking to purchase in the near future
:D
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Welcome to the forum .You`ll find that we hunt with other forms of gear as well during the different seasons . :D
ManX

Post by ManX »

Well come non-xbower guy!!!! :shock: :lol: :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Welcome. Great bunch of folks here, very helpful. But be careful, you may get the bug...even if you can shoot game with it. Now. I shoot one (or 3) daily and would even if I couldn't hunt with it. They are that much fun. Besides, you just may qualify for that slip one day. Or, the legislature/DNR will come to it's senses.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Welcome to the forum, great story!
Mikes writings are one of the things that keep me coming back too, when they show up I know that I am going to be in to some good reading that night when the house quiets down. Combine that with R.J.'s pictures and thats about all the excitement a guy needs in the off season.
Like it has been mentioned there is a lot of diversification on what we all choose to hunt with, it's not just about crossbows around here, it is about a bunch of people who appreciate all forms of our sport. Crossbows brought us here, friends are what keep us coming back.
Enjoy your stay!
David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Hetichunter! :D
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
liaf

Post by liaf »

Welcome to the forum. I myself own a phoenix but I can not legally hunt with one in NYS at the present time. NYS probably has the most restrictive laws on the books, practically have to be paralyzed to get a permit. I know things are changing so i decided to get one to target shoot. If you ever decide to get one just to shoot at targets wait till after hunting season and you will find used phoenix's with the right stuff package for around 475.00- 500.00 on e-bay. These are x-bows that have little use on them. I guess those people decided that the x-bow isn't the "death ray" that some people think they are compared to a vertical bow. I bought a NIB phoenix with right stuff package/vari-zone scope for 550.00 shipped to my door. Even though i can only kill a Morrell target I find it enjoyable to shoot. I have since modified it with a zeiss z point, custom string and a STS. I never thought I would spend the additional money for these accessiories but these x-bows are addicting to shoot.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

I cant justify the money now for a crossbow. I have to spend it on things i can actually use to hunt with. I know they must be fun to shoot but dropping 500 bucks to target shoot just aint happinin.

Should Illinois ever get its act together and allow them I will be all over one. Until that time its slug guns and compounds.

I have looked at them at bass pro and gander mountain and they look like fun. I like the simplicity i see with the recurve even though i would never shoot a recurve longbow. 300 ft. speed is 300 ft speed and the arrow dont know what shot it. Why get a compound crossbow when you can get that speed out of a simple recurve design and be able to put your own string on and off and mess with different combinations.

By the time i can use one to hunt here i will be the most informed first time crossbow buyer in history due to this place! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Shakibods

Great site & Welcome

Post by Shakibods »

I was a newbie to the site about a year ago. I don't post much but the people and material here are first class. I have made it a routine over morning coffee to hit the site a read as much as I can.

Good luck in IL, anytime you can spend in the field regardless of the implement is a great day. :D