First Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DMc

First Crossbow

Post by DMc »

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this site and like, not only the information that is available, but the levelheaded attitudes that I am hearing.

I've hunted with a longbow since I was very young; but then I got old. :oops: That along with injuries has prevented me from enjoying the flight of an arrow for the last several years. I can't stand it...I NEED a bow.

As of now, I have settled on the Exocet 200, probably from Outdoor Experiences, due in part to their accessory package which includes 150 gr bolt cutters, and I was thinking of upgrading to the Lumi-Zone Scope. I was also planning on getting the STS but thought I would wait and shoot the bow for awhile first. My thoughts on the bolt cutters as opposed to a mechanical such as the Rage is that I will be using this, not just for deer, but elk also. Elk are pretty tough; big bones.

I would appreciate any insight from those of you more experienced on the choices I am contemplating.

Dave
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Dave,

Welcome! Good choice of bow. I also think you have the right attitude, shoot it for a while, then decide if anything needs to be added.

Good luck this season.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

Hi Dave and WELCOME TO THE WOODS

You have made an excellent choice of bow and the package to go with it.
I agree with Scott above,get it,shoot it and then decide what you need.

It will kill anything just the way it comes from the factory but if you are like me I like to tweak.

I would reccomend a Boo string and a Groundpounder mount though
The factory quiver mount will work fine but I love my GP mount.

The Boo string is second to none and is truly a big upgrade INHO

Again Welcome
Further down in this post you will get solid advice from those with much more knowldge than I.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hi Dave!
You said:
I've hunted with a longbow since I was very young; but then I got old.

Welcome to the club!
I think you'll find the crossbow an enjoyable way to continue to bow hunt. It took me a season ar two to adjust my methods to fit the crossbow (less stillhunting and more stand hunting), but those methods fit an aging body a little better, too. :lol:
wabi
dutchhunter

hello

Post by dutchhunter »

welcome to the forum . the exocet is a amazing bow i would go with the lumizone scope for the larger opening more light .early mornings and ow light lumazone makes a big diff for only a few dollars more well worth it
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Welcome
I shoot the thumbhole version of your bow. Using Golt Tip Lazer II with brass inserts and 100 gr Slick Trick mags my arrows weights about 405 grns. Flemish string of my own make. Deadly accurate at 315 fps.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Can't go wrong with the Exocet.

Rich
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have no input on any of the things you are asking about but would just like to welcome you to the forum
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Welcome to the group you won't be dissapointed with your decision to puchase the exocet,you will find this group full of info regarding the crossbow and the adventures we share using them.
The best things in life are not things!!
DMc

Post by DMc »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I had to chuckle to myself what an uneducated newbie I was when Saxman recommended the ground pounder. What the heck?? Had to go on the search function to figure that one out.

Looks like a good deal. I am sure I will have lots more questions as time goes on. It is nice to know there is some place to turn to find answers.

Dave
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :D The Exocet with the Lumizone scope is a Great Set up that will serve you well for many years to come.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

Welcome to the group, everyone on this forum is very willing to help you out with any questions you have. I have only had my Vortex about 5 months now and have really been helped out by asking questions and looking over all the great information people post on this forum. I do not have any friends that shoot crossbows (yet) so I relied on this forum for most of my needs and they did me well. Guess the best way to describe it is "Ask and you shall recieve"
Good luck on your new purchase and enjoy :lol:
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Welcome to the forum :D
The exocet will do you good for the larger game .The owner has taken many a large animal with his exocet .ie moose