loosing bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gruntahunta

loosing bolts?

Post by gruntahunta »

Hi Guys, i have been loosing a few crossbow bolts/arrows latly in the low light of the evnings so i have ordered some lumonoks, any sugestions on how to fit them to the ali shafts that Excaliber supply? 2119 or 2117 i think they are one or the other. i intend to just carry 1 lumonok in the bow quiver and only use it when the light fades as my eyes rely strugl in twilight.
any sugestions any of you might have will be greatly apreceated.
thanks.
grunt.
responsible hunters are true conservationists and game managers.
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

Giday bestout, thanks, i have been thinking about building some tree stands as we cant by them here and to expensive to ship over so I will have to take some timber and tools with me and spend a day out there soon, although it is very hilly type country i might be able to build some ground blinds on the up side of a slope.
thanks.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Grunt

The lighted nocks are great,just make sure you pratice with what you plan to hunt with
The luminocks weigh more that the standard and they may cause your arrow to have a different point of impact or POI
I have some with lighted and some without and at 50 yards they have a dramatic Difference in POI
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Normous

Post by Normous »

Floresent wraps would certainly help. A flashlight makes them very visible at that time of day. Try a search. I think Boo posted a link not long ago.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
cdup

Post by cdup »

I took an office hole puncher and punch out some reflective tape. I use the dots on the flat insert at the end of the arrow in case the arrow does go in the ground I can still recover it with my flashlight. Cheap, and effective. :)
Respect everyone, but fear no one
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum grunt
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bright wraps help me the most... its pretty easy to spot bright yellow, green, or white most of the time under brown leaves
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Lighted nocks too expensive (for me) to practice with, triples the cost of an arrow.

I paint the last 7" of arrow with white lacquer than overspray the leading 2"s with a fluorescent paint matching the vanes. Very inexpensive, keeps weight at back to minimum (less than a grain) for increased FOC and makes stripping vanes easier.
Imagehttp://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... _33_39.jpg
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Welcome gruntahunta, I went to Sydney a couple of times.
CDUP, that is a great idea, I already use reflective tape in clothespins for a trail marker in the dark. Thanks and
GOOD HUNTING.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Welcome gruntahunta! It's awesome how many different countries are represented here at the forum.

You just need a second set of eyes . . .I'll be right over. :lol: I'd love to lose a few arrows in the Outback!

Are you hunting on a daily basis? What animals are you shooting? Are your arrows getting buried up in the dirt/brush/leaves? It really doesn't matter what wraps or attachments you have on an arrow if it's buried, right? Depending on your prey, you might want to slow your arrow down. Use the grabbers on small game and a wider cut on larger game.

Shot selection would be my final suggestion. However, it's hard to pass up a good shot just because you might lose an arrow.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

I was loosing some as well,
I went out and bought a metal detector for a little over $100
I even found some that I lost while hunting the past season that had a lumnaknock, spitfire B.H. at finding hunting arrows that run about $30 each it has already paid for it's self
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

Hay guys, sorry for not thanking you all for all your advice I have had a little trouble geting on the forum latley, I will probibly try the paint and little reflectiv sticky dots.

Hay sumner4991 at the moment i only hunt on the weekends and its allway a hard decision between xbow or rifle but as we begin to moov into summer, longer days i will hunt with the xbow during the week after work and the rifle on the weekends when posible.

at the moment i am loosing bolts in the long green grass, haveing green fletches sure doesn't help, you are right about shot selection, i should pass up some windy days or get a lot closser.

thanks to you all and happy hunting.
grunt