Which mechanical Broadheads do you shoot???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dick195252

Which mechanical Broadheads do you shoot???

Post by dick195252 »

I have read so much on here about Mechanical Broedheads. I just want you to list which ones you shoot and how they perform, Only want to hear from Mechanical Broadhead shooters, Thank You
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
mikej

Post by mikej »

the spitfire 125s work great for me great groupings fly just like a field point and i haven't had one open in flight and they also have replaceable blades
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Grim Reapers 100
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Rich

Post by Rich »

Rage 2's have performed well for me.

Rich
tws75

Post by tws75 »

i use rage 2 blade they fly great and leave a very good blood trail
wabi

Post by wabi »

Wasp JakHammers up until last year when one went through a deer without opening. :shock:
They were the only ones I had tested that met my demands for accuracy, durability, and dependable performance up until that time.
I will test more as time and finances permit, but for now it's fixed blades.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have target tested Wasp Jackhammers, Spitfire, and Spitfire Mags. All these shot very accurate. No need to do anything other than screw them on and spin test. Flew into the same groups as my field point without any adjustments to my sights. The regular Spitfire opened upon launch from my Exomax about 30% of the time, so I added a rubberband and it shot just fine. I question the ability of the spring loaded and cam heads' durability. I asked the Innerloc and Spitfire techs how many shots I could expect to get before the cam or spring wears out and I didn't get an answer. If I ever use one of these heads hunting, then I would throw on one rubberband for a little insurance. Especially if I had used the broadhead already.

I have target tested and field tested the Hammerheads. These things are wicked to the naked eye without taking a shot. I have only taken two deer with them and did not need to track either. They are extremely accurate and make a deadly big cut. As they say on their website, you may never track an animal again. Only negative, I didn't get a complete pass through on either deer. Both shots pierced the skin on the exit side, but, the arrow remained in the deer. Therefore, both arrows were broke and the heads were damaged. Not sure if the head damage was from hitting bone or the deer falling and rolling on them. I'm adding some weight to my set-up in hopes of getting the arrow all the way through. If I never get the arrow all the way through and the deer keep falling within 20 yards, then I'll keep using these broadheads. I hate losing deer in the tracking stage.

I do have some Stricknines on order, will be here tomorrow. They are a lot like the Hammerhead, just heavier.

Seems like I target tested a couple of more . . .can't think of the brands. What I found was the simpler designs using rubberbands worked better for me. They all were very accurate and grouped with my field points. Doing nothing other than a spin test is a major advantage to me because I'm not real good at tuning fixed blades, there's probably a politically correct term for it. Also, O-rings are great, but, never use more than one(no double banding with O-rings).

Here is the website for Vortex broadheads, another forum member turned me onto these broadheads. http://www.vortexbroadheads.com/Catalog ... heads1.htm Take a look at their selling points . . .strong blades and less moving parts . . .the two things mechanicals are not known for . . .I thought that was interesting. I might just have to try some.

Sorry about the long post. I've been testing these mechanicals for over a year, full time. It's been interesting.

Hope this helps.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Scott,
I have a pack of the mini-max 3 on order. As soon as I get them I will be testing them for accuracy, durability, and performance (blades stay closed in flight and open in the foam target). If they pass all those tests I will pass the info on, but the real test will be postponed until at least Sept. 27 (season opener).
I really like the look of the mini-max. Simplicity! Plus a 7/8" cut even if they fail to open. :wink:
wabi
Camper

Post by Camper »

I use 125gr Rocket Stricknines Large cutting diameter, they fly true and have never let me down!
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Ive used wasp jakhammers for years as well as spitfires and both have performed great.
Im going to be usiing the rage 2 blade this year on both my compound and my exocet.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rage 3 blade! Hits same exact hole as fieldtip out to 45 yards!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I killed three deer last season with my Exomax with three different mechanical heads. Spitfires, Scorpion XP and Rage 3-blade all in 100 grain. All of them performed perfectly on target. All of them passed through. All were clean kills. The Rage was the most impressive to me in that it left a massive hole making up for my less than ideal shot placement.

The soil in my mountainous area has lots of rocks. The Rage is easily the least durable of the three I have shot. Once it hits the rocky ground upon exit it is pretty much useless. Spitfires are quite a bit more durable. I've been able to get a few shots on each of them in some cases.

Opening day I'll likely be pushing a Rage 3-blade, but have a Scorpion XP in the quiver as well.

DuckHunt
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

2-blade Rage broadheads for me. Fly like field tips and usually leave allot of blood behind. I used to be skeptical of mechanicals till i tried this! Now i am a believer.
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Vixocette

help ! problems with new x-act

Post by Vixocette »

just bought two new packs of these tryed them out of my exocette and my sons vixen accuracy is like feild tips but they are not opening on impact would like to use monday on bear using easton 2219 aluminum arrows blades are very stiff to open help would very mutch appreciated i even oiled them no luck
maximus

Post by maximus »

LOVE the STRICHNINES!!! Have dropped,and I mean dropped 4 deer last year with them.
Now,I cant seem to find them anymore. Bass Pro used to carry them,they no longer do. I need to find someone who does.