Mossberg Shotguns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MG

Mossberg Shotguns

Post by MG »

I'm thinking about buying a mossberg 535 ATS with two barrels for hunting deer and birds. Has anyone had any experience with this gun, any opinions?
Allan

Post by Allan »

My neighbour bought one in May, and after seeing and feeling it, I too bought one. I ordered it from SIR (Cabella's out west) online. Shipped to my door it was only $338. It took about 3 weeks.

I like how light it is compared to my Winchester pump, however the action is not as smooth. It came with 3 chokes, a rifled barrel and a lock. Here is the kicker. I have not fired it yet.

I have been working too much to get out to the parents place to try it.. That should happen in a couple of weeks.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Ihave the 535 turkey gun foe 3 years now and just love it mine is three and a half inch gun and it realy kicks bad with heavey shot but it is a great gun for the money
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

dutch hunter x2
thanks philip
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I purchased mine about 3 years ago for turkey and love it.

I've had excellent patterns out to 50 yards with its extra full choke and #5 shells.

The only problem I've had since was finding a rifled barrel for deer. Can't find one locally and you can't have one shipped from the US. Have since given up trying and purchased a T/C Triumph with the local ML controlled season in mind.

I see you are looking at the combo and think you will be very pleased with this shotgun for the money.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Bought the Turkey/Waterfowl combo this year and really like it. Light and smooth. No jamming issues. If you can get one the best deal is on the 3 barrel combo (Turkey/Deer/Waterfowl). My local shop had one in the spring but I didn't buy it. When I went back about a month or so later they were sold out and could only get the 2 barrel combo.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great thread!
I am looking for a shotgun for my wife/kids, my shop has an 870 youth/Jr. with one smooth bore barrel and a Mossberg with the combo barrels for about the same price, I was undecided which way to turn until I seen all the positive feedback on the Mossy.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
MADMAX2

Mossburg?

Post by MADMAX2 »

Finally got my brother into hunting this past spring for turkey and was scrambling to find him a good used gun found one in the local penny saver it was an older mossburg 400 when I took it out to check the pattern I was impressed it held a better pattern than my rem 870 and is about 2lbs lighter also he downed two birds with it,me being the older brother I might have to trade guns in the spring getting too old to carry the rem :wink:
The best things in life are not things!!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have the Camo 835 Ulti Mag LAND CANNON
It is a great shotgun but it will KICK THE $^*# out of you.

I like Mossberg
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Pydpiper wrote:Great thread!
I am looking for a shotgun for my wife/kids, my shop has an 870 youth/Jr. with one smooth bore barrel and a Mossberg with the combo barrels for about the same price, I was undecided which way to turn until I seen all the positive feedback on the Mossy.
I have a 870 (12 and 20) and the Mossberg 535. The Mossberg with the 22" barrel with one one of the regular chokes (it comes with 3 plus the turkey choke) would make an excellent youth gun. Nice and light. Nice recoil pad and with the right loads the kick is very manageable.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
dutchhunter

hey bowster

Post by dutchhunter »

if u need a rifeled deer barrel for your 535 pm me
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I bought the 535 combo in the spring, took 2 birds with 31/2" shells, dont notice the recoil when shooting at the real thing.but kicks hard when sighting in. up bear hunting last wk and sighed in the rifle barrel with rem 23/4" managed recoil copper solids. could shoot 3 " groups at 50yds with open sights.I also have 31/2" buckshot for the turkey barrel with ic choke but I will probably go with sabots. great gun for the price.