Climbing Tree Stands – Part III Summit Viper

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I will try to be as objective as possible with this review. It will be hard to do so. I absolutely love my Summit Viper. I have used a Viper for years and the stand is like an old friend. The stand and I have shared so many memories of so many bucks. I would give up a lot of my hunting equipment before I would ever give up my Viper. So I am on record now as being a little prejudice regarding this stand.

1. Set Up

Set up is accomplished by placing a shrink tube covered steel cable with large outside diameter stop points through a slot in the stand. Tension on the cable is determined by the stop point you select. It is a very simple design and the lack of any pins or superfluous other parts to accomplish the lock up to the tree is one of the stands best features. I would rate it equally with the lock up on the Equalizer were it not for the noise issue. Even though the cables are encased in a rubber like shrink tube material, they can and do on occasion make noise as you place the stand on the tree. Oh, and be prepared to renew the heat shrink material covering the cable on an annual basis if you use the stand regularly during the season. It is not a big deal, but it is required maintenance if you want to keep the noise to a minimum every year. This being said, it is still a great design and it rates a nine out of a possible ten points and is second only to swift lock terminals used on some stands and the belt and camber systems used by others like the Lone Wolf.

2. Climbability

Climbing with the Viper is effortless. The sit down stand up movements are very simple with little force needed by the legs to pull up the bottom portion. I just put my feet under the side tubes of the foot portion to raise it as I go up the tree. I did try the new foot “stirrups” they came out with a few years ago (the green plastic three quarter horseshoe design) and found that I didn’t need them and that they got in my way more then helped me. The front bar of the seat portion is heavily padded and you appreciate this fact as you sit on that bar while climbing. In all the years of using my Viper I have never had the cables slip against the bark of the tree. You climber users know that feeling, the cable slips about an inch or so before it holds onto the tree and you get that “pants are ready for the biz bag feeling.” Once you are up the tree Summit wants you to take a strap and secure it around the seat portion and the tree to prevent slippage when you stand up and take your weight off of the seat. This feature is ancient technology and many other manufacturers have moved way past this method with better mousetraps. Were it not for this small flaw I would give this stand a ten for climbability. As it is, it receives a nine.

3. Comfort

Some of you Viper owners may have noticed the seat portion of my stand is the long gone blow up seat. Both the seat and the back have separate blow up valves and you can inflate them to your specific comfort level. I LOVE THIS FEATURE! I don’t know why Summit ever moved away from this design but I suspect it was due to cost. The seats that now come with the Viper are your run of the mill sling seats albeit very well made ones. And I am sure they are very comfortable, but not as comfortable as my old blow up seat. If this seat every wears out it will indeed be a sad day. But overall, the Viper is a true all day climber regardless of the seat vintage. It is incredibly comfortable and if I am in for a long hunt, the Viper is my choice of all my climbers. The design allows for easy transition from the sitting position to the standing position with little effort. Some sling seats envelope you to a degree that it is hard to get out of them and into a standing position without going through some major body gyrations that could alert inquisitive eyes. Not so with the Viper. The Viper scores a perfect ten for me in the comfort department.

4. Safety

I always feel safe in my Viper. But Summit needs to make one improvement and it is indeed a very simple one. They should incorporate the dual straps utilized by the Equalizer and other stands that lock the seat portion to the foot portion. In my opinion this is the best way to insure the seat portion of any climber never slips when you stand up and take your weight off of it. The downward force of your weight on the foot section makes any seat portion seemed nailed to the tree. As mentioned above, the Viper just uses a strap around the seat section to secure it to the tree once you arrive at your desired hunting height. It is for this reason that I downgrade the viper one point and give it a rating of nine.

5. Packability

The stand nests pretty well. The weight you will be throwing on your back is twenty pounds and the Viper is right there in weight with most of the competition. But it is my opinion that these twenty pounds are a heavy twenty pounds. It is heavy because it just never reaches that sweet spot on your back where the weight is distributed properly to reduce the fatigue while packing the stand into your hunting area. I have tried many things to overcome this obstacle with my Viper. I have never succeeded. If I have a long way to go, the viper stays in the barn. In my book the Viper achieves its worst score for this category and only receives a seven out of a possible ten.

6. Overall Impressions

The quality of the stand has never been an issue. Summit knows how to produce a quality product. The welds on the aluminum are precise. The straps and seat material is always top shelf and Summit has never really skimped on what they provide to the hunter. Their customer service is just outstanding and they stand behind their stands the way Excalibur stands behind their crossbows, so that is really saying something as Excalibur wrote the book and is the standard by which all others are judged.

Overall, I like this stand. If I had to only use one climbing stand for all of my hunts would this be the stand I would choose? No, it would not. But I can tell you this. I will use this stand a lot. I will use it on hunts where I don’t have to pack it in for any distance, and for me, that is the majority of the places I hunt. Once again, I am now sixty years old so take that into consideration. You young bucks out there can probably horse this thing over hill and dale with no problem.

I do like this stand enough to place it in the top three of all the stands I have tested. To be more precise, it would come in at number two. If anyone else has experience with this stand please by all means jump in and tell us all what you think. Also, I will do my best to answer any questions that arise regarding this stand here in this thread.

The next stand to be reviewed will be the Timbertall Brute Lite.

rickyp

Post by rickyp »

Mike,
That is a putty good review

I have the 2000 model it is the one with the blow-up seat and it had the shooting rest.
I like and dislike the blow- up seat. if you have it just right it is great but it can be noisy and if it isn't just right it is not so comfy. I find my self having to adjust the air pressure almost every time I get in it. I replaced the seat with the foam seat and it is just as good and more quiet. I think the reason they stopped selling it is they tend to get air leaks and are then no longer any good. Now if summit made a way to remove and replace the blatters so they could be repaired it would be a better idea.

I see you have the seat strap around the tree. I use to do that as well but I found when it rains the water would run right down the tree and then over the seat and down to my back. what I now do is wrap the seat straps around the cable at the point they meet the stand it isn't as comfy but not bad and I no longer get a wet back .

I use my viper during the early season and switch to the Goliath during the colder season. I am a some what big guy at 6'1" and 225 LBS I find the viper to be a bit tight Whit my insulating clothes on but about Right during the warmer season.

Another thing I found works well for both my viper and Goliaths. When I pack them I use a bunjy straps around the top and bottom sections to hold them tight together and I use the side bags so I put the strap around the bags as well so everything stays tight and in place. it makes for a quiet walk and the stand sections are not flopping around.

That is an interesting gun holder who makes it and how well does it work?
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I have a viper. I maybe use it 3 times a year. I'm not fast enough or quite enough to use it on a regular basis, nor do I need to. I do like it aot though if I spent the time to become better with it. I would have no complaints. I just resently used it to hang a hang on stand and it worked perfectly for that. I belive i'll be doing that from now on, when i'm using screw in steps its like a portable work bench in the tree!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Rickyp, the gun/crossbow holder on my viper is the New Dawn product and you can find it at the manufacturers web page http://www.newdawnoutdoors.com/Vortxx%20Stabiilzer.htm. I love this holder because it is the only one I have found that accommodates my Excaliburs as well as my rifles and shotguns.

My blow up seat never seems to lose any air. I set it where I want it at the beginning of the season and it stays that way all year.

I also place the back section in a position where I use the elastic chords around the cables if it starts to rain. Only takes one wet back to figure that out. Ok, poor choice of words there but you get the idea.
thorman75

Post by thorman75 »

I just picked up the new Summit Titan yesterday at BPS Portage In. I had the Summitt Goliath but it was stolen along with my Exomax last fall.
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
bull_dogg

Summit goliath ss

Post by bull_dogg »

Mike do you know if the goliath ss has that leveling feature??
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

After not using a aclimber since '98, and getting busted more and more lately, I bought a Viper a week ago. MUCH better than the loggy climber I used in '98! Hated that thing. Uncomfortable, didn't deel secure/safe. Now the Viper, love it! Quiet, secure, stable, and best of all comfortable! I have used it every day since purchase on the 11 th. Should have bought one years ago!

Yes, I was worried about harnesses and such, but this stand is amazing compared to what I had used in the past. I haven't seen or tried the others, but I don't mind the seat strap thing, and never having used the air seat, I find the cushion sling very comfy.

Believe it or not, it was this thread and another about harness use that caused me to try tree stands again. Thanks, I think?
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
DanO

Post by DanO »

Just bought this stand based on the comments on this board. I like it but at 57 I need to improve my abdominal muscles a little (that's agood thing!) and I need to use it properly to climb. I do feel as safe as the permanent ladder stands I use.

I had a few problems with the tree strap last night. I couldn't seem to get it to cinch properly. The buckle seems to creep over to the strap attached to my harness and then proceed to slip slightly.

How do you get the rubberizing replaced on the cables?

I also need the sidebags for stuff. I'm used to permanent stands with the whole closet of hooks permanently attached to the tree.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.