Choice in broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikew

Post by mikew »

enormous wrote:Yes. I use fresh bands each season also.
Thanks!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pyd, great review. Although I've not been tempted by mechanical's in the past I'm considering giving these a try. They fit my "I owe it to the animal to strive make the quickest kill legally possible" ideology. Do you think I'd have to double band shooting out of a Vixen too?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Sure wouldn't hurt to use two bands, the package comes with two for each head anways. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

I would suggest two. If you decide on one, then position it in the most forward position. Most Dentist offices will have these elastic bands. Mine give me a dozen free if I ask.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
saxman

Post by saxman »

While i have killed every deer I have shot at this year I am NOT happy with the blood trail left by the G5 Montec.

I will be looking to change
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Scott, no blood trail, more like a continuous spillage of blood..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

I feel that I have been blessed to have found all of them in short order except the last one.
I am not compleetly dissatisfied with them I would just like a blood trail.
So far it has been minimal at best.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'll be eBaying for some as I don't think our local Bow Shop carries them. Anyone recommend any particular eBay sellers that they've had good experiences with?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have three coming in the mail soon, if you want one I will send one off to screw on until you find yours..
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pyd - Thanks for the kind offer! I went ahead and ordered some off an eBay store last night. Am hoping to give you a field performance report sometime this season. :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Good luck with them Vix, you will love how they shoot.
Again, they are fragile blades, in my practice shooting I destroyed 2, both were tied up tight in dental floss but still took on damage. My advice, just use one to practice, you will quickly understand what I meant by being very accurate.
Who was your EBAY seller?
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Hi Pyd - I went with Outdoor Experts
http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore ... 943&rlid=4
Their feedback was 99.8% and they seemed to be one of the lower priced for the bhead. I paid $22 UDS + $7 for shipping.
From what I read elsewhere the bhead seem to be pretty much a one-time use which sucks, but I'm for the quickest kill possible.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

mechanicals are OK and Ive used them Rocket Buck blaster is like the one that has 4 blades but has 3.There is no replacement for shot placement.... but you do not always get the best angles that mechanicals need to work good where in the same angle a fixed blade would work fine..so if you want to wait for that perfect angle there is nothing wrong with mechanicals except anytime you have more moving parts like mechs do ( same wheels vs recurve Idea ) seems something is bound to happen when that big boy steps out...( rubberbands ect ) SO in my opinion only with Excalibur xbows fixed blades are the only choice for me, i dont have to worry about POI or broadhead faluer, angle, as much as I would if useing Mechs.....just my opinion here Gents not trying to start a debate here..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Oh yah, those Rocket Hammerheads really are devasting. They create a wicked big channel, causing very, very quick expiration.
The only problem with them is that they are basically a one shot broadhead. The blades bend and break each time I've used them, but they always ensure a very short tracking job. Still use them occasionally along with Slick Tricks. :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I keep 2 Slicks and 2 Hammerheads in my quiver, until I started shooting these Hammerheads I was pretty determined that I would never consider using a mechanical. I didn't start this thread because I though they looked cool, I started it because I have had devastating results each time I have launched them from my bow.
No broadhead is a replacement for shot placement, but some are capable of bleeding the animal out faster than others, these Hammerheads do just that. Match that up with good shot placement and you have an ethical kill with a short recovery time.
Anything I can do to make me and my equipment a bit more efficient is worth a try in my books.
Fixed blade heads can have contact failure as well.
WMU 91
Boo string