Greetings from Michigan

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Greetings from Michigan

Post by B-Logger »

Hello all. Just signed up for the forum. Hope everyone is into hunting by now. Now if this weather would straighten up some...

I live and hunt (archery and rifle) deer on our own property in central MI. This will actually be my first year with a crossbow. It is an Exomag. I do use the crank to cock the bow (sometimes still a problem) due to a physical problem.

I hunt alone but used to hunt with my wife and two sons. Now the sons live a long ways away and the wife no longer hunts due to some physical problems. I really do not mind hunting alone either; it is preferred!

I have a few questions for you experienced people out there and hope from time to time I may even be able to help others.

My first question regards hunting from a tree stand. Do most of you just hold your bow or do you hang it? If so, what do you use for hanging the bow?

Second question. If any of you use the crank, do you leave it right on the bow or take it off before shooting?

Thanks all.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks bstout. Hope your hunting is good.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WELCOME!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
cdup

Post by cdup »

Welcome to the family! I don't use the crank, but I choose to hunt with my phoenix on my lap. I don't like having to make any addition moment that I have to. IMHO :)
Respect everyone, but fear no one
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks Vixchix.

bstout, why do you say to not shoot the bow with the crank still attached? Will it do harm?
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks cdup.

With my compound or recurve it seems I almost always hung the bow but always hung it in such a way that it caused mimimal moving to get the bow; actually less than if I had it on my lap. So far with the crossbow I've just held it but have been considering hanging it.

I also have some problem getting the bow up and down from the stand. Have to have a clear area for pulling that thing up for sure else it catches on limbs or the steps.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

welcome here for sure. Both my ladder and climbing stands have safety rails. i prop my CB on them. all the weight is on stand rail til i lift to shoot.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

B-Logger, welcome to the forum! If you're talking about a crankaroo by excalibur, it is made to be removed prior to shooting. I would imagine that it would be pretty awkward to shoot your bow this this type of cranking device on the bow. I have an accu-draw that is permanently mounted to the stock of the crossbow and can be used with a supplied hand crank of you can use a cordless drill. Hope this all makes sense.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks smokepolehall.

I have one ladder stand, 2 climbers and two regular stands plus hunt from the ground from time to time. Your option is not available for this but that does sound interesting for sure.

bstout, I wondered if that was Ten-point's crank I saw in a picture. It's been a while since I've seen one but seems they were good. But I already have the crank so would hate to spend extra dollars on what I already have.

btw, I tried cocking with the rope a few days ago and was surprised when my arrow went way...way left at 20 yards. Guess the same thing happens with that as with cocking by hand. Needless to say, my right arm isn't too great right now so was pulling mostly with the left.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend
My 1 stand has a shooting rail and I set the bow on that.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks and hello Ray.

Believe it or not, it really isn't that bad shooting with the crankaroo on but it does seem to be a bit louder. Probably because it is so close to the ear when shooting. However, the idea of using a cordless drill may indeed become a necessity soon. I'll for sure keep that in mind.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

bstout wrote:The rope cocking aid will symmetrically cock your bow every time regardless.
Interesting! I'm going to have to try this again. Naturally I assumed it was the arrow but shot it again using the crank. The arrow is fine. Now when I'm able, I will try the rope pull but will also mark the string first with some whiteout. When I said the arrow went left, I wasn't referring to an inch or two either. It was a lot. In a deer target, the shot wasn't even in the insert.

Thanks saxman.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Naturally. I'll let you know if it happens again. I also was under the understanding that with the rope cocking device it would not cock off center. We'll keep trying.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to get ready to go out hunting. Good luck everyone and thanks!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!
and good luck on today's hunt! :wink:
As for the arrow going way off target, there are several possible causes. One is cocking the string off center, but with the rope cocking aid that is just about impossible.
Another possibility is a bad arrow.
Also, "canting" the crossbow (not keeping the limbs level) will send an arrow way off the mark.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome