Heartbreaker this morning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Heartbreaker this morning

Post by B-Logger »

Hunting season has been very weird for us this year. Prior to season we saw all sorts of bucks and some very nice ones. However, I never even saw a little buck during season until last week. I could have shot several but passed. Had one only about 10 feet from the stand too!

This morning though, I finally got one to come in. Had to use a grunt to turn him towards me and it worked. Problem was he came in on the very wrong spot and I had to turn to shoot. About a 30 yard shot. Easy?! But I concentrated so much on the shot that I forgot to double check....and the limb hit the tree. Not really hard, but definitely hard enough to throw the shot off.

Only good thing was that it was a clean miss. So, there's one good buck that got away.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Nice that it was a clean miss. A true heartbreaker would to wound and lose one. What you have is a hunting story that will get better and funnier each time you tell it! :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

welcome to hunting.. if you hunt long enough and see enough big ones, you will find that alot of mishaps like that happen. Its hard to shrug them off but this happens to everyone..

like said, atleast you didnt wound him:)

go back and get another crack at him
Mike P

Re: Heartbreaker this morning

Post by Mike P »

B-Logger wrote:But I concentrated so much on the shot that I forgot to double check....and the limb hit the tree. Not really hard, but definitely hard enough to throw the shot off.
Welcome to the club B-Logger!

Here is my initiation into the tree bangers club.

And I had the luck to do it on a 160 B&C class buck!

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

crazyfarmer wrote:welcome to hunting.. if you hunt long enough and see enough big ones, you will find that alot of mishaps like that happen. Its hard to shrug them off but this happens to everyone..

like said, atleast you didnt wound him:)

go back and get another crack at him

:D I've been hunting a little over 50 years now and for sure, if there is something weird that is going to happen, it usually happens to all of us. This is the first time for the tree whackers club for me though. But, it was a clean miss. Maybe he will come back so I can miss him again. lol
Keep smiling!
Dennis
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Welcome to the club B-Logger. It was really embarrassing to see my bolt sticking in the ground about two feet in front of a doe. At least is was a doe and was a clean miss. At least you didn't double check. I DID and joined the club anyway. I was certain the limbs had plenty of room to expand on the shot. Boy was I wrong. Live and learn.

DuckHunt
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Hey, I remember reading that the great Gene Wensel even had this happen!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
wabi

Post by wabi »

No comment.
(I've missed because I used the wrong yardage mark, had a mechanical open in flight, had a scope fail and change POI, and hit an unseen tree branch with the arrow, but never whacked a tree with the limb yet. :roll: If I comment I'll probably join that club, too. :wink: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
At least a clean miss and it's over. No tracking and worrying to add to the ordeal.
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

WELCOME SORRY FOR YOUR OOPS THESE THINGS HAPPEN, AS YOU SEE YOUR NOT ALONE I'VE GOT A TON OF THEM, GET HIM NEXT TIME :)

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers