gillie suits

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

roadrunner

gillie suits

Post by roadrunner »

hey guys;

has anyone or does anyone use a gillie suit ?
i picked one up at h&h a while ago, kind of makes you look like a moldy big foot . i sat down next to a globe cedar ( at night) my wife said i looked like part of the bush . figured i'd try it out on sunday.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Road, please let us know how this works out. I've thought strongly about getting one myself.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
hawg hunter

ghillies

Post by hawg hunter »

I've been using one for three yrs now. I hunt the brush country of Texas and their are very few trees. Works like a champ, I've the Rancho SAfari ultra lite long coat, boonie hat and face mask in Real Tree Matches my xbow perfectly. Remember deer see blue jeans and use the wind.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Deer see blue jeans?? Even under a ghillie?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've had a lot of luck getting deer to walk right past me(as long as I don't move) until they get within 15 yards. Even when I'm in blue jeans. However, when they get within 10 yards(me on the ground), they are very good at detecting me. I'm not sure if it's the sense of smell or the hearing . . .maybe the eyes get better. I've had very few get within 5 yards and they were young deer.

I hunt in a lot of thicket, swamp, and brush. I'm concerned that I'll keep getting hung up with the ghillie. Is that an issue?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I use a ghillie suit and they are excellent for cover, BUT they pick up every branch and burr within 5 feet of you. They often dont come out easily and it becomes a tangled mess. Before long it just becomes a burr suit. but there is a time and place for them.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
hawg hunter

gyhillie

Post by hawg hunter »

Looks as though there are a few skeptic about my statement about the jeans. My ghillie covers every thing to my knees. If I wear blue jeans those old Does knock me off every time at 10 or 15 yds if Iwear any other color with every thing the same they'll walk up to within 5yds before they knock me off. I've read several studies and deer see blue, its the only color that I've notice that bothers them. I've several friend that hunt alot, they have had the same experience.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Hawg, that is most interesting and I'll be paying attention to that in the future.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I have seen Sax wearing girlie attire...does that count?
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.