Making the right decisions can be tough...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bayou Stalker

Making the right decisions can be tough...

Post by Bayou Stalker »

I went out to Hutchinson Creek, a public WMA, for my last couple hunts. This morning, twin yearlings come up on my "unexpected" side at 25 yards. I watched them playing around and was trying to decide if I wanted to make this my first public land, first crossbow, first deer of the season kill. I decided that I was going to take one. They were on the other side of many limbs and I waited for my shot. They were walking out of range and one stopped with the vitals between two tress 10" apart. I was confident I could put my arrow between the trees, but there was some small twigs and leaves that in the hole. I didn't want to chance a bad hit thanks to all of the input I have read on this board. As bad as I wanted to take my chances, and get on the board with my Southern Attack team members, I let them walk and another shot did not present itself. I'll set my stand up differently next trip. I questioned myself all the way back to the truck, and concluded that I made the right call.

Kendall
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

You made the right choice. Nothing like trailing a wounded deer most of the day and still not finding it, knowing it is suffering as you can see blood trail. You feel worse making that shot than not taking the shot and getting them next time out with a perfect shot. IMO
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Boo

Post by Boo »

Agreed, best not to take any chances on your first one or any shot for that matter. If you do your part and something does not go right you won't beat yourself up over it later.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

i agree if i'm 98% sure i can make the shot i still won't take it. its all or nothing
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

GOOD GOING, IT WILL ALL COME TOGETHER FOR YOU, IT'S A LONG SEASON, AND YOUR JUDGEMENT IS GRADE A. GO GETUM TEAM MATE :)

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Bayou Stalker

Post by Bayou Stalker »

Wes,

You know you signature line was the last thing that went through my mind before I took the pin off her between the trees....
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
Varizone
Rage 3 Blades
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Been there, done that on a nice 10pt. Got a deflection and hit him above the vitals. Trailed him for kilometers and never found him. I'm confident he survived, but it still made me sick.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
gunnutjay

Post by gunnutjay »

If your not sure, then you made the correct decision. Just imagine the thrill of success when you do get the right opportunity! It sure beats the agony of defeat and the guilt of making a mistake...

Good luck with getting your first!!!

Cheers
gunnutjay
8up

Post by 8up »

You made the right choice and I commend you on your good judgment. Glad to here your getting out there.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

The only thing I would add to what everyone else has said is that I'm glad there are hunters like you out there in the woods. You made more than a good choice. You made a statement, and a darn good one at that.

Savagevervet
wabi

Post by wabi »

You did the right thing! If there is any doubt in your mind, it isn't a good shot opportunity! Enough can go wrong even when you're sure you can make the shot. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Bayou Stalker

Post by Bayou Stalker »

Thanks everyone. It is going to be rainy for the next few days as a nice front moves in, then the cold settles in on Friday. I'm taking Friday through Tuesday off from work to settle some unfinished business... :)
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
Varizone
Rage 3 Blades