A question for those who also use vertical bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

A question for those who also use vertical bows

Post by ninepointer »

I got into bow hunting as a teenager with a vertical (compound) bow but I switched to a crossbow after I blew a chance at a big 10-pointer because I had trouble drawing my bow (I was seated, cold & stiff, and I now know that I was drawing too much weight). My question to you vertical bow hunters is: When in a tree stand, do you always have to stand up to draw on a deer, or do you draw from a seated position? (I don't consider myself to be scared of heights, but I think I would have difficulty standing up & drawing while in a small stand like a hang-on or climber)

Ninepointer

P.S. I just realized that my post might sound like I'm an anti-crossbow troll trying to start trouble. Those of you here who know me know that I'm an avid crossbow hunter. I'm not trying to start a vertical bow vs. crossbow debate. Its an honest question, really.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
bradm

Post by bradm »

For me it depends on the angle of the deer. If the deer is within 14 yards of my stand, I stand up so the limbs don't hit my leg. Beyond that I will try to stand slowly and get a shot off. It depends on how long your Axle to axle length is, the shorter it is, the closer you can shoot the deer sitting down.
Theres a place for all gods animals, Right beside the mashed potatoes and gravy.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i do both... it just depends on if im standing or have time to stand up. I preferr standing and shooting though. I also practice sitting down in a chair before season comes in. Also, most seem to think its cool to shoot 70-80 pounds.. keep in mind that a 30pound bow will kill a deer. I can draw 70 pounds with no issues, but I tune my bow for 58pounds so ican draw nice and smooth without any movement and plus it helps you hold the bow back longer.

i like both bows.. i like the crossbow a little more since I get about 10 more minutes of hunting in since the peep sight on my compound doesnt like low light
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I always sit to shoot as I seem to gain a bit of accuracy that way. However, I do recall one time having a buck come in directly behind me. I stood, turned (which wasn't easy being in a twin maple) and shot that 8 pointer while he was eating pin oak acorns.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I hunt with a compound as well as my crossbows.

I shoot the compound from both sitting and standing positions.

The one thing I just love about the crossbow is the fact that I can shoot it both left handed and right handed and eliminate a lot of gyrations attempting to get into shooting posture. This lack of movement has really made a difference for me.I do practice shooting the crossbow both right and left handed and recommend that everyone become accomplished doing so.

I cannot say the same for my compounds. I can only shoot them right handed. Thus, in many circumstances I am forced to stand to be able to swing to my right in order to shoot the compound at a deer. And yes, this movement has cost me shots at some good bucks because they busted me when I stood and turned.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:I hunt with a compound as well as my crossbows.

I shoot the compound from both sitting and standing positions.

The one thing I just love about the crossbow is the fact that I can shoot it both left handed and right handed and eliminate a lot of gyrations attempting to get into shooting posture. This lack of movement has really made a difference for me.I do practice shooting the crossbow both right and left handed and recommend that everyone become accomplished doing so.

I cannot say the same for my compounds. I can only shoot them right handed. Thus, in many circumstances I am forced to stand to be able to swing to my right in order to shoot the compound at a deer. And yes, this movement has cost me shots at some good bucks because they busted me when I stood and turned.
very good tip;) I do the same with my ML'er also... as long as I dont jerk the trigger its always dead on left or right handed;) Just still feels weird shooting left handed but when its a big one walking by, you dont notice it
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

90% of the time sitting, 10% they come in from behind so I need to stand.

Stand placement seems to help this out before hand...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Thanks for all the replies guys :) The reason I asked is that a friend of mine just took up (vertical) bow hunting and feels he needs to stand up when he shoots. I see this as a big disadvantage when in the presence of deer. I'll suggest he practice shooting fom a seated postion.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i' haven't practiced shooting from a sitting position so ..i won't take a sitting shot .. maybe next year ....i have set up a few evergreen branches to let me draw back without detection ...my biggest problem is a noisy squeaky stand ...