Appearance in public?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Do you change out of your hunting attire before being in public?

I hunt from home so I don't have to travel anywhere wearing in my camo/blaze orange.
15%
I wear my camo/blaze orange only from home to hunt and back again making no stops along the way.
16%
I wear my camo/blaze orange when I stop for gas, coffee, breakfast, etc.
44%
I change into my camo/blaze orange only when I get to my hunting location.
25%

Total votes: 55

Benu

Post by Benu »

I wear just my pants and base layer shirt in public. When I get to the site I put on my outer camo layer coats, hats, and blaze. I keep that stuff all in a large container in the car.

I have filled up with gas on the way home a few times in just my green thermal layer, especially if its raining and my outer layers were all soaked. My image in public at this point is just that of crazy guy in long underware.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Usually on the way to my hunting local in the morning I wear whatever clothes. I then change into my hunting clothes. I may wear them home, stop off at Canadian Tire, Walmart, Blockbusters, beer store. They then go in the clothes hamper to be washed again.

I think in this day and age most people are so far removed from the outdoors that an occasional injection of a camo clad hunter in public is good for them and us. It's a reminder that hunting and hunters are still prevelant. That we are your neighbours. That we are decent people.

I won't walk around in public with blood on my pants/boots/etc.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Usually put my outer gear on at the location. If I'm heading home I will wear it with pride. I love to hunt and don't care if people have a problem with me harvesting my own food. No one looks down their noses at farmers, so what is the difference???

I have never had anyone get vocal with a negitive opinion yet. Still waiting. Looking forward to it :twisted: . Unless they are a vegetarian, they will get an ear full.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I put on my hunting clothes at the house and don't stop anywhere between there and the hunting area. I do it for scent control. I don't think I'll pick up too much scent during the drive, but if I stopped at a gas station here, I would come out smelling like a fried cigarette.

If I only hunt half the day, I leave the stuff on after I get home.
Brother Model 80
Automatic Needle Threader
Overcasting Foot with Side Cutter
80 Stitches
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I walk out the door and I am hunting.

There just never seems to be any occasion where I would wear my hunting clothes in any environment other then the woods.

I do, however, have some special camo I have been holding back just in case we ever have a forum pajama party.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I live in the deep soth of Ontario & around here you get the looks if you wear camo. However I care not & hold my head high.

When people give me the business I give them my favourite Nugent Quote.

From ted!
"I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I do not hide when I am in public. The problem I see is that as Chris said Hunters here in Ontario have hid the fact of hunting by making sure that the general public don't see that average people do enjoy to hunt.

This is one thing I do not agree with the Organizations that want hunters to keep hiden in public and don't show your game coming back from a hunt.

Give it to them all ! If the public here in Canada seen this over and over it would be just a part of life just like most of the States. The general public would see that Game and hunters can live in the same world and they would not see an impact on the wildlife that they now commonly think may dissapear because of a hunter.

I have seen more Trucks and Cars on the road in the last two years with stickers on the windows showing they hunt then I ever have in my life and I have to say WAY TO GO!

I've drove a hunting Billboard for 12 years Red ext 4X4 with yellow turkey tracks all over it and strutting gobblers on the back window and have never been questioned yet about it. I have more problem with hunters then I do the anti's :?
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
wabi

Post by wabi »

I frequently wear camo shirts on days I don't hunt. :lol:

edited to add:
I do live in a rural area where hunting is accepted by most people. A lot of the kids wear camo to school, too. :lol:
wabi
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I agree Adrian. I remember growing up and everyone was so excited to see someone with a deer on or in their vehicle. Got me pumped up to get out there and enjoy what nature has to offer.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Most of my attire is camo including my favorite boots that I ussually throw on to do something :D

I do have my specific hunting clothes that are kept in a Rubbermaid container that I only change into/out of when I am at my hunting locale for scent reasons.

If anyone asks or says anything I admit that I hunt & am proud of it :D

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
maple

Post by maple »

I only wear huntig camo when I'm hunting. Usually change into it at the car before hitting the bush. It comes off when I return to the car.

That being said, I DO wear a camo Ducks Unlimited cap everywhere in the city. And I sport a deer hoof-print in my car's rear window right beside the blaze orange hat I keep there for everyone to see.

Safety first right?

Maple
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

what's public :)

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

i wear some form of camo daily sometimes a cap or a camo work coat. i agree with you guys about hunting not being quite as accepted and public as it used to be i remember when i was a kid our school bus driver would purposely go out of his way to drive past hunting camp so he as well as us kids could see what each camp had hanging up from that days hunt. he would even stop sometimes for a closer look if it was a big buck. we all loved that. if that ever happened now it would be all over the 6 o'clock news and you can bet he wouldn't have a job. i guess that was the benefit of living in a small rural community
catcher

Post by catcher »

I only wear camo if I am hunting. Do not wear it to wally world. I always say to my wife when I see people with a camo coat on in the stores. ( I wonder what they are hunting).
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Thats who drives that truck. Sorry to cut you off. :lol: :lol:
Just kidding
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes