What Do You Sit On?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

What Do You Sit On?

Post by Mike P »

Ohio gun season is right around the corner. I change my tactics totally for the gun season. I run and gun.

Seldom do I hunt from my climbers during the gun season. I love pounding the ground and covering some turf. I will go a ways and sit for a while, move a little and sit and on and on.

What do you ground hunters sit on. I want something light and easy to carry that has some measure of comfort. I have looked at these two products and find them interesting.

The first one is from North Starr Treestands and is called the Little Star II.

It is only 1 1/2 lbs. and only cost around $15.00.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=460204

The second one is the Nif-tee-Seat.

http://www.nifftseat.com/

It is twice as much.

You guys got any good suggestions? Remember, light, easy to carry and with a measure of comfort.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i bought a little seat from walmart on clearance last year.. it sits about 8 inches off the ground and has 4 legs you fold out. Weighs about 2pounds.. its made for turkey hunting though

I like the first one though, but im not sure how well that will hold up over time.. also looks like it might fall over :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

crazyfarmer wrote: it sits about 8 inches off the ground and has 4 legs you fold out.
CF, you have to be limber and like twenty-eight years old to sit on something eight inches off the ground!

As to the north starr, I think I might take a flyer on that. It certainly is cheap enough

I now have one of the seats that you strap to a tree and it is round and swivels on ball bearings. It is clumsy to carry and I don't like taking the time to strap it and unstrap it every time I want to move. It is being retired this year. I want a new seat that is easier and more comfortable.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote: it sits about 8 inches off the ground and has 4 legs you fold out.
CF, you have to be limber and like twenty-eight years old to sit on something eight inches off the ground!

As to the north starr, I think I might take a flyer on that. It certainly is cheap enough

I now have one of the seats that you strap to a tree and it is round and swivels on ball bearings. It is clumsy to carry and I don't like taking the time to strap it and unstrap it every time I want to move. It is being retired this year. I want a new seat that is easier and more comfortable.
its nice to find good stumps, but the badthing is those are usually in bad places where you cant see :P Im gonna have to invest in more all day comfort stands next year also since these 40bucks hang ons are starting to work on me even being young :P

if you get the seat, lemme know how it works for you. Would make for a cheap in law xmas gift 8)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

crazyfarmer wrote:
if you get the seat, lemme know how it works for you. Would make for a cheap in law xmas gift 8)
I don't care what they say CF, your a class act! :lol: :lol:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

LOL right about sitting eight inchs of the ground, At age 50 I would never get back up. I have a camo three legged stool sits about a foot off the ground. straps on to my napsack. ok for a couple hours than you have to get up and rub the fanny and good for a couple more hours. I even use it in my tree stand.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am always on the ground, well almost always.
Yesterday I started using my turkey vest, holds all my goodies and is quite comfortable. The swing down seat buckles at the upper part of the back, I use that to hold my quiver.
The odd time, like tonight, I sit in my stand, an old tree-fort (3x3 platform)in a very promising spot. Problem is it is small, so when I sit I have limited room for swinging the bow. Tonight I was thinking about a seat to strap to the tree so My feet are on the platform instead of my butt. I may make one but would prefer a manufactured idea.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I'm sorry, can't resist, but I sit on my butt! :P
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Just use the chopper! :lol:
Benu

Post by Benu »

I have a cheap little 3 legged folding stole that I carry. It is aluminum and totally light, I don't even notice that I have it.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've been using a dense foam rubber pad. It keeps me warm as a bonus. However, it's only good for about an hour, then I have to adjust every 30 minutes until I give up.

I really like the looks of the niffty seat. Would it really matter if it was under water during the hurricane? I like the cheaper price. May just have to give it a try.

Anybody have one already?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

When I'm not in my blind I use a thick, warm, foam pad on the ground. in my blind I sit on a small folding chair - the cheap camo ones from Walmart. They sit higher, don't sink into the mud, have a low backrest and I can sit for hours. I used to use the 3-legged stools but they would sink into the ground and I missed having a backrest. The chairs I use now get tucked into the ground blind bag when I move the blind - I don't mind the bit of extra weight at all.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike P . . .I emailed niff-T-seat Thursday and asked if they could deliver by next Thursday. I'm still waiting on a response. I was in Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and they had some round cushions for $4.99. Those things are very comfy. They feel like the dense foam that has been cut up. It has the heating qualities also. Not the seat I'm looking to buy, but, super comfy to put on the ground.

Have you made a purchase yet?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

sumner4991 wrote:
Have you made a purchase yet?
I ordered the cheap one from sportsman supply and got it two days after I placed the order on their website.

So far so good, I have only used it a couple of times just around the yard here to see how it feels and it is pretty comfy.

I love the way it folds for easy carry, it actually creates a handle with the unique way it folds up. It seems to feel better to me then the three legged stools I have tried at various outdoor stores.

The downside is that you always must have a tree at your back in order for the seat to work. That may limit some spots but I usually find myself with my back to a tree in most instances.

I do have one fabulous seat that is the most comfortable I have ever used but it is a little big and weighs about eight lbs. But you can sit it it all day with outstanding comfort. I bought it on ebay a few years back and it is called the Lean Seat. Think of a tree lounge treestand for the ground. It works on the same principal as the treelounge but you just lean it up against a tree. They were fabricated from aluminum square tubing like the treelounge and telescoped in much the same manner. And you can lean them up against very small diameter trees and they work fine. I'll try and snap a picture of it if it ever quits raining.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I know it is not what you wanted but here is one of those strap on seats.For anyone else that is looking for that kind of thing.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults