EXOMAW NOT FIRING WOULD NOT COCK revised

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

on a side note i have done just about every one of those heat of the moment scenarios at some point ( not yet with my excal :lol: )over the years
saxman

Post by saxman »

I pulled the trigger twice on my second buck only to realize the saftey was on.
DUHH!!!!!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

saxman wrote:I pulled the trigger twice on my second buck only to realize the saftey was on.
DUHH!!!!!
I have done that my share of times, never on an animal but very frequently on targets. I squeeze so hard the bow jerks up, never any mystery as to what happened by those standing around me, mocking me. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

saxman wrote:I pulled the trigger twice on my second buck only to realize the saftey was on.
DUHH!!!!!
I did that on the second doe that I shot at last week and after I took the safety off I ended up shooting high.

Safety on was my first thought for Jamie's problem.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Now we are beening honest LOL Had a buck walk by 5 feet infront of my stand the other day I had a 10 foot shot and forgot to take saftey off and deer never even seen me. Just walked past with his head down and into the bush. I was not happy with myself
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Flipping that safety on can make a pretty big click if your not ready for it. I am in the habit now of taking it off as soon as my quarry presents it's self.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

safety??? I only use it to climb up and down the tree!! other then that my bow is ready to go~!!
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

This thread reminds me, last year I had a huge ten point come in 25 yards from me and stop right in the middle of a thicket, stood there for a good five minutes, then it happened.
When I went to complain to the manager at taco bell about the gas that the burrito supreme, from the night before, made me miss out on that buck he didn't seam to sympathetic to me....still don't know wheather that buck heard it or smelt it :oops: :lol:
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

A quick note to Jamie
FYI you are far from the first one to have your trigger freeze up. I found this one out 20 years ago and had to walk a half mile back to my truck to thaw my old Wolverine out. I am at least as human as you.
Ice can shut the bow down for one reason only, and that is the precision fitting of the interior trigger parts. If a customer is willing to sacrifice the quality and consistancy of the trigger for the other 364 days of the year we can solve this issue, but I personally would rather use a bit of common sense and an occasional shot of WD and reap the benefits of the precision trigger. Everything we do at Excalibur is colored by what I would want as a hunter, so we opt for quality and our customers have to accept this maintenance issue in return.
If our triggers were made sloppily or with bent steel cases, this wouldn't be nescessary, but then again, we wouldn't be Excalibur either.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

thanks bill now that iam fully aware i have already done this yesterday and it seems to have corrected it and will continue in the future thanks and i hope no hard fellings
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

No hard feelings, Jamie. We all learn by doing, and something like this provides a heck of a lesson not easily forgotten.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The biggest lesson I've learned so far from this thread is don't eat Tacos when you plan to hunt. (I won't hunt in the rain. It risks loss of a blood trail.) Still, it's been a worthwhile discussion.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome back DJ!
Good to see you back here.
Hope you're hunting. Post your pics!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Hi DJ
I'm glad you got it worked out
Let me know what you did,either here or PM me.
We dont get severe cold here but every once in a while I go to Michigan and i always take my crossbow regardless of the season.

I hope to hunt with some of my northern brothers on this forum someday and I may need that info.

Welcome and I look forward to your posts
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

i hunted 2 days prior in the rain and sleet i left my bow in my subaru i only brought in in the house briefly then back out to hunt one thing to look for if its frozen up is when its NOT cocked the trigger becomes NOT spring loaded you can manualy move it back and forth when you pull it back it stays and you have to push it back forward. this tells me the spring is froze up and it will not work . So if u have the concern it may be froze thats what to look for if its working good, when u pull the trigger (when uncocked) and let it go it will go back to its regular position if it stays in the position after u pulled it its froze and needs thawed before you use it i hope this thread will help someone in the future. Prevent what happend to me lol