EXOMAW NOT FIRING WOULD NOT COCK revised

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deer jamie

EXOMAW NOT FIRING WOULD NOT COCK revised

Post by deer jamie »

hey iwas out last night had a nice 8 point at 40 yrds . Lined him and the trigger was stiff it took everything i had to pull it, needles to say i made a crappy shot high in the back i was given the opertunity for a secpond shot half hr later but the bow wouldnt cockiam new to excal is this a common problem as for the past 5-6 seasons i have used a horton supermag witch is what my fatherinlaw uses and iam familuar with and have not incountered a problem like this any one know what went wrong when i got home after 20 min it worked fine i dont think a tempture of -2 would have this kind of effect?? i dono but iam not a happy excalibur customer as i watched my nice buck walk away at 30 yrds and i could do nothing but stare i almost left my bow in the woods. Any way i would app. some advise if any one could help i called excalibur they will look at it but this is prime time it is working now but i fear if i go out again will this happen twice it was pretty hard to choke it down sitting there for 2 hrs waiting only to have equiptment failure was it my equiptment or sopmthin else
Last edited by deer jamie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I never heard of this before. I have used mine in -20deg C and had it work fine. Did you get it wet or jammed with snow that may have made ice? That's the only thing I can think of.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sound to me like moisture/freezing might be the problem.
If it were mine I would saturate the trigger - latch area with WD-40, then blow it out with compressed air to remove any moisture. I'd follow that with a thorough lubing with Rem-Oil or another quality lubricant, and after a few minutes blow out any excess with compressed air.
wabi
deer jamie

Thanks

Post by deer jamie »

thanks that what i was told to try first by excal and a family member i will deff try it and then leave my bow out side for a bit and see if it happens again all the same iam still not a happy excal owner as its a new bow stored inside and it didNOT end up in the snow or ice befor i went out so unless my house is full of moisture it still dont make sence to me
Normous

Post by Normous »

Now that you can warm it up inside; can you cock it? Sounds like a frozen trigger. It happened to me about 15 years ago. I suggest doing as Wabi said. It can happen to any trigger mechanism regardless of manufacturer. Moisture and below zero temperatures are certainly the cause the way I see it.
Last edited by Normous on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dutchhunter

stifened

Post by dutchhunter »

my vortex got very stiff in the saftey and trigger but a good cleanig and some oil cleared it up no problem DUTCH
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I have 2 possible issues that could be at fault.
1) You hunted in rain recently and didn't dry out the bow, then cocked it at the beginning of the hunt while it still wasn't frozen. When you shot the ice inside gave way enough to release the string, but it was jammed enough with ice that it wouldn't recock. If you hunt in the rain ALWAYS dry your bow out and/or give the trigger a shot of wd40 as this sort of thing will happen!
2) Pilot error can occur in the heat of the moment. Lifting the string off the deck and trying to cock it between the scope mount and hold-down spring, leaving the safety on, not bracing the rope cocker.....lots of things.
Interior trigger problems are as scarce as hens teeth with our crossbows, and when they occur they are almost always caused by abuse or misuse. If your crossbow, at room temperature, is still giving you grief, please call us at 1 800 463 1817 so that we can quickly fix it. Otherwise I am going with #1 and advise you to bring the bow into a warm place and let it dry out a day or two, then give it a shot of WD.
Also, I get blamed for a lot of deer that get away and I'm honestly getting a bit thin skinned about it. We do our best to make every Excalibur owner successful and happy, but we live in a world dominated by Murphy and things do screw up on occasion. That said, an old proverb says that it's a poor tradesman who blames his tools, and there is some real truth in this in most cases.
deer jamie

thanks

Post by deer jamie »

i believe #1 may be the problem and i thank all members for there insite as for your last sentence iam quit offended i am not blaming you for me missing the deer i new when i was shooting that it may go high due to me pulling so hard on the trigger and i tried to companasate for it i feel you now are trying to make a mackery of me when all i was doing was explaning what had happend i will be calling excalibur to resolve this as i feel your coments were not nessary
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

good idea thanks
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have hunted in darn near any hunting condition you can think of and have never had that type of problem .
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

i have aswell i hunted in the rain and sleet a day or 2 befor so iam thinking some moisture was built up and it must have froze NOTE: the trigger was not spring loaded when i was in the woods i could move it back and forth when i brought it in the house and it warmed up it was spring loaded aagain so iam pretty sure there must b a spring inside them that froze closed
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Hey Bill. If it's any consolation, I actually CREDIT Excalibur with my successes!

I had a rough year last season with poor consistency in shot placement, but after the season closed I realized my arrow/broadhead combination was the issue (information which I derived from being a member of this board!). I was a bit discouraged, but soon changed my arrows to have an increased FOC ratio, and this season I am 3 for 3 with my Vortex firing DARTS! Great move in going to a 150 grain broadhead for guys who don't want to have custom bolts made, and switch to brass inserts (which is what I did).

Anyway, my point is for every guy complaining, there are 200 who are completely (or even EXTREMELY) satisfied with your products and your company....you just don't hear it enough.

Thanks.
Korey
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Bill T wrote:Also, I get blamed for a lot of deer that get away and I'm honestly getting a bit thin skinned about it. We do our best to make every Excalibur owner successful and happy, but we live in a world dominated by Murphy and things do screw up on occasion. That said, an old proverb says that it's a poor tradesman who blames his tools, and there is some real truth in this in most cases.
So it was your fault that I missed 2 deer this year (both high). I never thought to blame you. Damn you Bill T and Excalibur!!! :D

Blaming the bow as the LAST thing I would have ever considered.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
maple

Post by maple »

I agree. Moisture.

We all expect perfection in our lives. It's only when we don't get what we expect that we see fit to comment.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Deer jamie,

How is that for an opening? I am one of the least confrontational people who frequent this forum. But I feel I have to take you to task here because I feel you're not being very fair with your comments.

Sure you had an equipment failure and you missed out on a buck, it's a hard pill to swallow. But I think it is pretty evident that you jumped the gun with your blame. First you come out with a reference to a competitive product on the Excalibur forum and let everyone know you are not a happy camper.

deer jamie wrote:h wtf i owned a horton for 7 yrs and never had a problem iam not a happy excalibur customer
Some members offer you some possible reasons for the trigger failure and you reply with the following once again mentioning that your not a happy Excalibur owner.

deer jamie wrote:the same iam still not a happy excal owner as its a new bow stored inside and it didNOT end up in the snow or ice befor i went out so unless my house is full of moisture it still dont make sence to me
Then you bring to light that you did indeed hunt in the rain and sleet and admit the possibility that there could indeed have been moisture present in the trigger assembly.

deer jamie wrote: i hunted in the rain and sleet a day or 2 befor so iam thinking some moisture was built up and it must have froze
You receive a reply from the owner of the company, the very company you have been telling everyone how unhappy they have made you. He offers possible suggestions as to what may have caused your problem and also offers the full resources of his company to take care of the problem. Granted, he gives you a little slap on the hand by offering the craftsman analogy, but it is my feeling you had it coming. You're throwing a lot of blame his way and telling all here how unhappy you are with Excalibur. And once you receive your little slap on the hand, you reply with the following.

deer jamie wrote: feel you now are trying to make a mackery of me when all i was doing was explaning what had happend i will be calling excalibur to resolve this as i feel your coments were not nessary
The fact of the matter jamie is you were not just explaining what happened. You were adding commentary to the scenario with your negative comments regarding Excalibur. And jamie, it was just not fair.

I am willing to bet dollars to dimes there is not a thing wrong with your trigger mechanism. If there is, I owe you an apology.

But if there is not, I think you owe Excalibur an apology.