Bait, corn etc.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Bait, corn etc.

Post by ninepointer »

I decided to get started on baiting, so I bought a 40kg bag of "beef ration" yesterday at the feed store, cost $18. I'm not sure what's in it, but i can see cracked corn plus all sorts of other fine stuff. I had read someplace that beef ration is better than plain corn.

What do you guys use? Is all corn the same or are there varieties better suited for attracting deer?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
MrBigSticks

Post by MrBigSticks »

we cant even bait deer in illinois :(
Team: heartstoppers
exocet 200, hawke luminated reticle scope,cow whacker bolts and 125gr slick tricks
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

I put out 40kg of whole corn last Wednesday. The deer started eating it about 4 days ago.

I was out in the stand this morning (-10C), most of the corn is gone. I noticed since it started getting colder there eating more.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

we also cant baite here in ga. but erver one does it. the last club i was in was so heavily baited i quit. i wasnt going to loose my stuff or get a ticket because some one else cant follow the hunting regs.if they would go ahead and pass the law on bating it will make the dr rangers job a lot easier. then they cna go after all the poachers that are here in ga.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
whitetailmad

Post by whitetailmad »

hey Ninepointer I see your from Niagara. What feed store do you go to. I am from Ridgeway. I usually give John's general store here in Ridgeway my money. Let us know how the Beef ration work for you.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Fire bolt,bolts
Bolt cutter broadheads
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

When I lived in Illinois it was standard procedure to make peanut butter sandwiches when ever you went out archery hunting.

And somehow every time you got up in your stand you manged to drop one of your sandwiches out of the stand and say ooops.

The local fish and wildlife officer would always remark any time he checked you out and found a dropped Sandwich that archery deer hunters are the clumsiest bunch of sob's he runs into every year.

We used to "butter" the trees with peanut butter but he caught on to that and gave a good friend of mine a ticket for baiting despite the fact that my friend claimed he was tired of the peanut butter sandwiches and just trying to get the peanut butter off the bread by whipping it against the tree.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

whitetailmad wrote:hey Ninepointer I see your from Niagara. What feed store do you go to.
Minor Bros. PM sent.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've tried many different feeds from wild bird mixes to horse feed. Plain old corn has always been the best. Either shelled or cracked will work, but cracked will draw a lot more songbirds - not always a bad thing, as the birds draw the attention of other wildlife to the feeder. :wink: I usually jus buy shelled as it is cheaper.
wabi
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I apologize in advance for these city-boy questions :oops: .

1) "Shelled corn" means just kernels, no cobs or husks, right?
2) What is "whole corn"?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Shelled is the kernels only. Some folks refer to it as whole corn.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

i use beef ration mixed with whole corn i do this because the beef ration is twice as much as the corn so mixing it 50 50 gives you more fro your money and the deer love it
honker

Post by honker »

Where i hunt there's a corn field that is still standing bordering the farm property. Deer have been steadily hitting that location. I filled a recycling box full of cobs and brought them a few fields over to where i've seen rubs and scrapes and tossed them around my apples no where near the corn field.

Where i've left the bait, nothing is left: no apples, corn or tag's :wink:
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

We use whole kernel "Fuel Corn" from TSC. Reg. price $8.99 for 55 pounds but it's usually on sale for $6.99. Deer love it. I tried a bag of the "Deer" corn that had molasses or something similar on it. I thought they would gobble it right up but they didn't. It eventually got eaten but not a quickly as the plain corn.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Lots of talk lately about health issues from feeding straight corn or similar.
I come by my name honestly.
huntman

Post by huntman »

been baiting since early oct. I dont waste my time or money on whole corn I find its the birds that eat it more then the deer. All my money goes to carrots@!! The deer on my property go crazy for carrots.... they must of been rabbits in a previous life! :lol: