deer processing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

deer processing

Post by one shot scott »

How many of you guys/gals process your own deer? Ive been toying with the idea for a year or two. I think its time to take it on. My butcher does a good job, but I figure if I can kill 'em, than I should process 'em too. I was thinking of buying a video at cabelas Canada. I think its a couple of hours long. have any of you seen this video? any other recomendations?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
buzz

Post by buzz »

ah scott
do you know anyone who has done it before.
thats how i started. got a book and had a freind help.
its kinda neat going into the freezer pulling out a peice of meat that you have proceced from the beginning to the end.
good luck
Normous

Post by Normous »

I started butchering my deer after I found a torn, moldy old 16 page B/W brochure called "Primitive Venison Butchering". The first few pages described how-to make your own knife or primitive cutting tool. The rest contained care,skinning, and cutting steaks and roasts, all in simple print and B/W photos.
With that knowledge I set forth to do my own. Fortunatly for me I had sharp knives and a saws on hand. That made it easy. I didn't entertain the thought of trying to make my own cutting tool.
I was very proud of myself, as the first deer went smooth. Attaching my 1/2 Dewalt drill to the hand grinder made cuttings into fine hamburger.
In the last few years I have added a 3/4 chain hoist, quality knife and a 1/2 hp Cabelas grinder that prepare everything in excellent fashion for the freezer.
I think a 2 hour Cabela processing DVD will certainly prepare you for this a give you alot of personal reward as well. You will probably get more helpfull info from that DVD than that little booklet I had that was printed in the early 70's.
Last edited by Normous on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

if you want to debone it all..have a peek at this

http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_essenti...er_Cutting.wmv
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
wabi

Post by wabi »

I don't process my own, simply because I have a good friend that has a deer processing business. I have done many in the past, and will be going to his place to help with the one I shot yesterday in the morning. I't just nice to be able to hang them in his cooler for a couple of days, and the have the use of his heavy-duty tools for the task. As far as the actual processing it isn't a hard job, it just takes time and effort. I do them by hanging them from the gambrel by the hind legs, then cutting all the meat off the bones. From there it's a matter of seperating the cuts, slicing and grinding what needs it, and packaging them. I don't really follow any meat cutting chart, I've learned from experience what makes the best cuts we prefer - steak, roasts, "backstrap" (ribeye - my favorite cut :wink: ), tenderloin (marked mud vein on the package to keep the wife out of it) and grind most of the rest.
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've never paid one thin dime to have an animal butchered for me! :D I just can't part with the green to do something like that.

I've butchered, processed and packaged well over 100 deer.

I debone mine on the gambrel. Never cut a bone. No need to.

I divide the meat by the muscle definition. I eat tenderloins right away, put backstraps up for fry, cut a few roasts out of the big ham, and grind the rest for sausage, salami, jerky and burger.

Paying for processing is an expensive luxury! Think of how it adds up! :shock:

My advice would be to find someone who does their own, kill a deer and take it to them ... and dive right in!

You can put up any critter alive ... once you've killed it! :D
Grizz
NativeHunter

Post by NativeHunter »

Here in my area most people process their own meat and commercial processors are few and far between. I hunt within walking or ATV distance of my house and don't even bother to field dress. Within 20-30 minutes the deer is hanging in my shed and i immediately debone without gutting. I take out the loins (backstraps) first, then the shoulders, then I cut each hind quarter off in one piece. I just use my standard Buck hunting knife, nothing special. The only meat I miss is the inner loins, or sweet meat as I have heard it called, and the neck. I toss the meat in plastic bags and stow in a refrigerator in my garage for a few days until I get time to cut and package. When I'm ready to process, I first throw it all in plastic buckets with water, vinegar, and salt and let soak for up to an hour. Some people soak it longer to soak the blood out but I don't think it is needed and if the meat is bloodied from the shot, I just cut around it. The soak mixture just helps to clean the exterior and helps separate the film over many of the pieces. I bring the buckets into the spam, pull out one piece at a time, handscrub under running water, then cut away fat and tendon while cutting into roast size using how the meat is naturally separated as my guide. I don't eat venison as steaks, but if I wanted to I could easily just pull out a roast and cut into steaks just befor cooking. I keep a bowl handy and toss in the smaller pieces to package for stews and such. If in the mood, I will run some or all (except loins) through a grinder. I have even made sausage a few times. Everything gets packaged mostly in quart-size freezer zip-loc bags (sometimes gallon-size), marked with the cut and date, and tossed in the freezer. Ground deer meat is usually used as is in spaghetti sauce, chili, or such. For meatloaf it is mixed 50/50 with the cheapest ground beef from the store which provides fat. Been doing this for over 20 years and although I may not get professional-looking cuts and may waste more than a professional butcher, it is a no-fuss, easy way to save money.
Robert Gray
www.pamunkey.net
www.mpra.org
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

NativeHunter wrote: I hunt within walking or ATV distance of my house and don't even bother to field dress.
Me too, Native. I haven't gutted a deer in many a year. No need to. I stretch 'em up, yank that hide, strip the meat and take 'em in.
Grizz
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

if we have time and space will do it ourselves.....if we bring to the butcher not always sure if we get our own meat back and that is frustrating when we and are very carful when field dressing animals...very careful not to contaminate the meat with stomach contents etc .....we picked up a field dressing and meat cutting book from walmart around 10 bucks.....
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We butchered our own last year for the first time from start to finish. Wasn't difficult at all. Takes some time, but well worth the effort. We've agreed that it's been the best quality venison we've ever had.

This site has some instructions with good photos:
http://www.eckrich.org/index.htm
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

hey VixChix thats a great website ..thanks for sharing

[quote=""]We butchered our own last year for the first time from start to finish. Wasn't difficult at all. Takes some time, but well worth the effort. We've agreed that it's been the best quality venison we've ever had.

This site has some instructions with good photos:
http://www.eckrich.org/index.htm[/quote]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the $10 book from Wall Mart too, very detailed.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Hi Scott,
I have shot two deer and butchered two deer. Look around on the web, if I fined the link I will post it.
The scrape meat I take and have sausage and pepperonis made.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
dutchhunter

cut wrap and frozen

Post by dutchhunter »

i live in norwich it is not that far .if you get one and want to learn pm me i will be glad to come out and show you how it is basic .easy to learn é.I have been cutting meat my whole life and to me it is very much a part of the hunt DUTCH
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

thanks everyone for the helpful information! And special thanks to Dutchhunter for offering to come out and give a hand. If Im lucky enough to bag one dutch, i will pm you.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-