Population Control Doe for Team NC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Population Control Doe for Team NC

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, as I hadn't done much hunting here yet, and as I might not do much the rest of this week, and as I got throughly skunked on my trip to Indiana, I decided it would be a good evening to do some herd thinning here on the homeplace.

Now, I know some of you might raise your eyebrows to see that I intentionally killed a doe fawn ... but killing every deer seen on the property (within legal limits) is the landowner's preference, and the farmer's request. And, since I'm the landowner and the farmer pays me lease money, I decided to do just that.

I don't usually post every deer I kill, because I know most readers aren't interested in my meat collection, especially when it's a rifle kill ... but I thought I'd put this one up to press a point: Deer hunting is many things to many people.

Some hunt for trophies. Some hunt for numbers. Some hunt for bragging rights. Here on my farm, I usually hunt both for herd reduction and to collect the very best quality meat ... and that dual purpose is best accomplished by shooting young deer, because I don't like eating older ones all that well in comparison.

So when this young doe stepped out as I hunted from a box blind 200 yards from my house, I quickly put one through her lungs. She died right away, right on the spot ... about 40 yards from where I was sitting.

And yes, I'm not one bit ashamed that she's a little ol' deer ... because I like 'em that way. One less deer to rocket into the side of my truck as I drive along our dead-end road at night ... and the very best of venison eating.

She was alive on-the-hoof just near the end of shooting light, and within an hour of the shot she was in the skillet, cooking up with some onions, peppers and mushrooms, waiting for gravy:

Soon after, plated up on a bed of rice and headed for my belly:

Now, I by no means intend to suggest that I won't shoot a big buck if I see him. I have, and I certainly would again. Indeed, sometimes I actually hunt for a certain one. In Indiana, that's what I focused on ... I was out there estrus bleating, grunting and rattling with the best of them. But, by and large, I hunt because we need to kill deer around here and because I like to eat 'em ... so when I go gunning, it's often with a preference for young antlerless deer.

Like this one.

Every deer hunting pursuit is a worthy one, but I say that there is something to be said for picking up a rifle that's like an extension of your arm, stepping out your back door, leaving the truck where it sits, walking down your lane to a blind you built yourself, and waiting for what you know will likely come:

SUPPER! :D :D

Jay, you can count her in on Team NC's score.

We'll let Tyler contribute the big ol' deer. :D 8) :wink:
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Great job Grizz. I applaud you for shooting what you choose to shoot. I only have one question, where's the collard greens and hush puppies :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

I could'nt agree more,nothing better than a nice fat juicy yearling,thats why we call it hunting.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Mmmmmmm. The very best quality meat from the field to dinner table. Nice choice Grizz!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on the doe!
We're headed toward Dec. here and the closer the the end of the year gets the less likely we are to let 'em walk.
Enjoyed the photos..... YOU'RE MAKING ME HUNGRY! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Congrats on a fine doe! Absolutly nothing wrong here with harvesting fawns! Were meat hunters!

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

DropTine wrote: Were meat hunters!
I'm putting a shoulder in the crock pot this morning! :D

At this rate, I might just eat her before she sees a freezer!
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I haven't had a yearling in a while, but I do agree, they are some good eating. When you can flake the steak with a fork, it's tender! :D
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Way to go Grizz,best eatin for sure . We have to do the same to keep the land, how ever I don't shoot to many full grown doe's mostly fawns suitcase deer pick up by four feet carry um out :)

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on taking that tasty critter and looky here if'en you ain't already tasting the goods! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Now you got me in the mood to buy more tags. That picture with the cast iron did it! :lol: I can kill up to 4 more antlerless here, and the eating furnished by one you can drag out with one hand can't be beat. Besides, the local grocery had mushroom soup on sale my last trip, so I stocked up. :roll: (brown the meat, add mushroon soup, let simmer while the biscuits bake - couldn't be easier and it tastes great!)
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

That looks just like a deer
Hey,and thats what we hunt!!!
Well,that worked out just fine.
Nice kill grizz
Yummy in da Tummy :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

they say around here that you don't eat the horns anyway!
thanks philip
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: Besides, the local grocery had mushroom soup on sale my last trip, so I stocked up. :roll: (brown the meat, add mushroon soup, let simmer while the biscuits bake - couldn't be easier and it tastes great!)
LOL, Wabi! :D

That's about how I do it ... I just dumped a can of mushroom soup on top of that tenderloin / backstrap / onion / pepper / mushroom mixture, and simmered it a little more.

Only thing was that I didn't have any soy sauce or worcestershire sauce, of which I usually use a bit to season ... that's why it turned out so white. Good eats anyhow ... hard to hurt a combo like that, IMO. 8) :wink:
Grizz