The New Winchester Model 70's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

The New Winchester Model 70's

Post by DropTine »

My dad currently has Tikka T3 Hunter in 300wsm with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Trophy scope on it. He is planning on selling that gun and getting the new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in 300wsm. Does any one have any reviews or any experience with these guns.

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Matt: Although mine is not a new one, my absolute favourite rifle is a Winchester model 70 featherweight ( laminated) in .270 win caliber. I've owned Browning, Berretta and Remington's. All fine rifles, but the rifle I love is my model 70. Flawless operation. smooth trigger pull, and most importantly...it hits where I aim. Can't say anything bad about it.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
Normous

Post by Normous »

That 300 WSM (Winchester Short Mag.) sure packs a fine punch out of a short stiff action.. Nice choice for big game!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have a model 70 dm in 300 win mag with a bushnell scope its a great working gun i really don't care for bolt actions i prefer my remmington 7600 pump in 30-06 but the model 70 is the best bolt action i have found yet smooth bolt opperation amazing accuracy and the synthetic stock is almost indistructable.the reason i bought it was because i wanted a 300 win mag and it was alot cheaper than buy a browning semi wich is the only non bolt action gun that i have seen in 300. i looked at the tika when i bought the winchester and found that i personally like the model 70 better i found the bolt stiff and didn't like the feel of the tika. plus the 300 is a great moose caliber, some may say its a little too much gun for deer but i used it for years on deer until my wife and daughter bought me my 7600 for xmas last year and it worked fine for that too. if you are looking for a bolt action you can't go wrong with a model 70
bj

Re: The New Winchester Model 70's

Post by bj »

DropTine wrote:My dad currently has Tikka T3 Hunter in 300wsm with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Trophy scope on it. He is planning on selling that gun and getting the new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in 300wsm. Does any one have any reviews or any experience with these guns.

Thanks,

Matt
i've shot one of these...you may want to try one before you buy it..as someone mentioned, it packs a whollop, but recoil is a little more than i like hanging on to...
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I have the Sporter in a 300 WSM. A little heavier than the featherweight. By far my favourite gun. Tack driver. Comfortable. Very smooth action. Not as much recoil as a semi auto 12 ga/

F
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

They had a demo out at our shooting range and I got to shoot a 1961 Winchester model 70 and then got to shoot a new model 70. They were not 300 win mags. That old gun was as sweet as fresh honey. But that new one was not far behind it. From what everyone was saying is that the new model 70s have come a long way.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Recoil is not an issue, my dad's pretty good with that. Plus it doesnt get much worse than shooting a Tikka T3 Lite synthetic in 338 win mag, and he shot that no problem.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe Tikka is made by Sako. I haven't shot a Tikka, but if they are anything like Sako they would be the smoothest bolt action I've ever shot.
I thought Remington was good until I used a model 70 (pre '64), and thought it was good until I owned a Sako. :lol:
I'll admit things change drastically with all the changing of owners of the big companies and the attempts to show more "profitibality", but I'd try a model 70 before I sold the Tikka. :wink:
wabi
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

I'd be interested to know why your dad would want to go from a Tikka to another rifle. I have several bolt action rifles and my Tikka T3 Lite in .338 Federal has an action that is as smooth as silk and an extractor that works better than anything I've shot. The trigger is set at about 3-1/2 pounds and there is absolutely no travel. In short it is a joy to shoot (now that I've had the muzzle brake installed to tame the recoil). It will shoot MOA groups with factory Federal Fusion ammo and I can't wait until the Redding Deluxe dies arrive so I can start working up some handloads.
I do like the looks of the Winchester M70 Featherweight although I haven't shot one in quite a while.
Jerry
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I've never held one, but I've read good reviews on them so far out of different publications for what that's worth. The WSM series is not my first choice in cartridge selection, but that's personal, if your dad likes it, then get the same caliber.

Personally, I'd keep the Tikka, get it glass bedded professionally and get some better glass for it. I use Nikon Monarch scopes as well as Leupold VX III series. For scopes, you get what you pay for. Also go with Leupold or Badger Ordnance steel mounts and rings. They're machined and matching pairs.

Glass bedding is about a $200 expense or less and check ebay for scopes. You can find some good deals. A few months back I bought a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42 scope for $280 US with shipping and CAN funds I wasn't over $350.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The gun rag reviews of the new model Winchester 70's are very positive.Some say it's better ( improved gas relief system) than the pre '64 model; fit and finish is outstanding.
A twice-cut shoulder prevents me from shooting a short mag now days but it's about a good all-around caliber as I can think of to hunt everything on this continent and go as medium gun in Africa. Switching from Tikka to Winny? Whatever floats your boat. They won't allow guns at the "home" so try and own as many as you can 'till you get there.

PS Only accurate guns are interesting.
dutchhunter

tika

Post by dutchhunter »

i find the tika a very ugly gun and the rem model 700 or the win model 70 way sexyer i would not own another tika DUTCH
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

The Tikka is very accurate and has a silky smooth action, but way too much plastic. The back of the bolt is plastic and a plastic mag. He like the look and feel of a Model 70 Featherweight.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release