Post by roadrunner »

any one try horse poop for cover scent?
i figure it doesn't sound half as bad as skunk or fox urine :idea:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

wife would make me live in the shed LOL
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Maybe that would only work if you were hunting a place that had a lot of horses.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
subneural

Post by subneural »

When I was taking the ontario hunters ed course, my instructor (an avid bow hunter) shared this bit of wisdom with regards to cover scent for deer: About 1 month before the start of the hunting season, go out an cut some fresh cedar boughs. But the freshcut boughs in a garbage bag, toss in your hunting clothes, and tie the bag shut.

Only take your clothes out to wear when you're hunting. When you're done for the day, put the clothes back in the bag with the boughs and tie it shut again. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will next season.

-Subby
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

subneural wrote:When I was taking the ontario hunters ed course, my instructor (an avid bow hunter) shared this bit of wisdom with regards to cover scent for deer: About 1 month before the start of the hunting season, go out an cut some fresh cedar boughs. But the freshcut boughs in a garbage bag, toss in your hunting clothes, and tie the bag shut.

Only take your clothes out to wear when you're hunting. When you're done for the day, put the clothes back in the bag with the boughs and tie it shut again. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will next season.

-Subby
i think this would be a great idea..but make sure that cedar is is in the area that your hunting.
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
huntfishfam

cover scent

Post by huntfishfam »

I personally use leaves from my hunting area and put them in a tote with my hunting cloths. This way I blend with the same area I hunt.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've found vanilla flavored cigars work well where I hunt. The cherry flavored seem to spook deer, but vanilla attracts them. :wink: :lol:
Seriously - I've shot several deer while I had a cigar lit in my ground blind! I've also had one come up and almost stick his head in the "window" on the blind when I was brewing a cup of coffee on my alcohol stove! I think it all depends on where you're hunting (urban, rural, or wilderness) and the deer itself. Some are curious, some are not, and any of those odors tend to "dilute" the human scent.
Something like the theory of using multiple scents (deer, fox, raccoon, coyote, etc.) mixed & sprayed profusely when coyoute hunting. It puts so many smells in their olfactory senses that their brain kind of "short circuits" and they are totally confused and often ignore the scent.
Last edited by wabi on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Re: cover scent

Post by Grizzly Adam »

roadrunner wrote: Any one try horse poop for cover scent?
No ... but I know a lot of the stuff that many companies claim about "cover scents" fooling a downwind deer's nose is a lot of horse-s**t! :lol: :wink:

Oh, I guess some of that stuff can't hurt, but I'm with Wabi ... there's just no telling about deer.

I really don't think you can fool them, but it doesn't hurt to try. After all, it only takes a second or two delay to provide you a shot. :D

I think a little horse-dabby would be good as anything. :wink:
Grizz
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

deer smell wood smoke this time of year more than anything else, stand in front of a fire and get smoked up, now you probably got the only cover scent that would work, just my opinion

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Road apples will probably work only if the deer are accustomed to smelling horses nearby.
The deer that are easily fooled are the first ones on the meat pole.

Jerry
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: :shock: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm why not as i'm always in $hit at home anyway!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

I have bow hunted on a beef farm years ago, and walked through the barn yard on the way to the bush. Had to walk through cow manure and found that the scent of the manure was something these deer were use to. When I hunted there, I stopped using a store bought cover spray and stopped wiping it off the soles of my boots. I had decent success, just had to wear another pair of boots in the truck on my drive home.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

we boil down cedar and pine boughs and put it in spray bottles. We wash our clothes in wildlife research scentfree and u/v inhibitor soap, then fold with pine boughs.

We only use the spray come the hunt.
Pydpiper

Re: cover scent

Post by Pydpiper »

huntfishfam wrote:I personally use leaves from my hunting area and put them in a tote with my hunting cloths. This way I blend with the same area I hunt.
Sean
I do the same, the dollar store sells a little bag that has lots of holes in it that work good for this, it is made for washing little/delicate items in the machine, keeps that actual debris off the clothes and lets all the scent pass easily through. I have 3 in my hunting clothes box. When I open my clothes container it smells remarkably like where i sit and hunt.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

When I head out I take along any apples that are "past date" - when I get near my spot I'll squish them underfoot making sure I get my soles really wet in them.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.