Small Game advice(thanks to all- blunts it is)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Small Game advice(thanks to all- blunts it is)

Post by wheelie »

whats one use for small game, like rabbit, squrels, fox ect, Little expensive using broadheads for deer or u just get cheaper broadheads of the same grain, Can one use field tips? Info would be appreciated.
Last edited by wheelie on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A couple different options..
Yes, you can absolutely use field points, but they zip through small game quickly and can let it get away to die elsewhere, arrow is usually hard to find too. A fix for that is to use a grappler like a Zwicky, guys use these with their broadheads too for turkey, it is a spring-like contraption that goes over the arrow shaft prior to screwing on the head to slow the arrow on penetration, I use them for turkey too, also sometimes on small game
Another option is to get a head dedicated to small game, G5 makes a mean one! There are also some available at Wall Mart that work great, a blunt head that has the same spring configuration as the Zwicky, but contains it's own blunt head.
One more.. A rubber boot that slides over your field point, looks like a mini boxing glove, those too work great!
It is all about switching from bleeding the animal out to using blunt force trauma instead, although broadheads do work just fine.
I like the Zwicky idea, easy to use and tiny. They are all equally effective.
*Note* I believe fox are worthy of a broadhead.

Here are some:
Left to right, first one is the dedicate small game head, this is like the one Wall Mart sells under the Easton name. Second is a tip that slides over the shaft, third is the Zwicky (new package above), cheap and easy! Can be used with any tip too. Last is a thread on blunt tip I prefer these when using blunts.

Last edited by Pydpiper on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I use field points for what you're talking about, though there are different heads you can buy

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

remington mod. 552 weaver 4x scope and 22 long rifle. stinger or like on foxes. my 0.02
thanks philip
wabi

Post by wabi »

I prefer the slip-on blunts. I have found them to be accurate. They weigh 110 or 120 grains depending on brand and just slip on the shaft with no point installed.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=H511
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wabi wrote:I prefer the slip-on blunts. I have found them to be accurate. They weigh 110 or 120 grains depending on brand and just slip on the shaft with no point installed.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=H511
That is the blue one in my picture, my son loves the things, calls them "punching tips".
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

thanks for the responsesm much appreciated. If you use a grappler does it not change the weight and flight of the bolt? Or is it to little to worry about or retarget the bow for them? Thanks for the picture that helps alot
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wheelie wrote:thanks for the responsesm much appreciated. If you use a grappler does it not change the weight and flight of the bolt? Or is it to little to worry about or retarget the bow for them?
I am very picky about accuracy and small shifts in weight, but I am happy to say they have no noticeable affect on the arrow out to 40 yards, even past that the drop is not worth worrying about.
They are noisy in flight though.
Keep in mind the arrow will still likely pass through a small animal, but the grappler will let the arrow stand up in the grass/snow instead of burying it. The arrow shaft needs to be clean and the grappler needs to be snug or it can travel up the shaft as it leaves the bow.

I shot a squirrel off a fencepost with one of the black heads in my picture, it too passed clean through. I swear I could see light through that squirrel before it fell. When I found my arrow it had 2 layers of skin on it, one going in the other going out, all the goodies in between fell out in flight.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Those Zwickey Grapplers for behind a bhead weigh 20 gr and like Pyp said don't affedt accuracy. I had a problem w/ them sliding up the shaft on some GT LII's in flight [on to fletch] so I now use a rubber "O" ring behind them.

I have some of those black screwin blunts in lower right corner of the pic and prefer them to all else I've tried.

The ground here locally is very rocky and hard on any arrow shot at small game from a stand. Kinda lost my taste for $8 squirrel, but the shots are priceless, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

LOL awshucks, I just happen to have a visa card for some priceless shots :) :)
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

cool, just ordered 8 100 grain blunts same weight as my broadheads. Trying to keep everything the same grain. Don't want a a squirel running up a tree with my arrow, that would just p*** me off and make me climb up to get it LOL
Rhubarbe

Small game

Post by Rhubarbe »

Personally I prefer to use a target point to hunt small game.

My excal is a vixen and I use it only for small game hunting here in Quebec.

I've tried the easton shocker once on a ruffled grouse and it ruined the meat... Instead of doing a small hole like a target point, it grabbed everything it could and teared the poor thing passing trough like it was nothing.

Keep in mind that a bolt can pass trough large game, it goes trough small game too and if you use a bigger tip on your bolt, it will only make a bigger hole in your meat.

Long story short, any target tip will do the job. Broadheads are ok if you're rich but target points are great for small game and it's the only thing I use.

Accurate, indestructible, cheap and deadly, give it a try.

Mark
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

good point thank you
munch

Post by munch »

iv'e seen guys drill a hole in a penny and just screw the field point threw the hole and into the shaft i have not tryed this but they say they work great .i did shot a snowshoe rabbit with my hoyt well moose hunting one year with a field point and it did not die as fast as you might like
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Rhubarbe

Post by Rhubarbe »

Yup munch is right tought.

Make sure you bring a good knife dans a pair of gloves with you. Just make sure to end their pain quickly.