Scope Review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bayou Stalker

Scope Review

Post by Bayou Stalker »

Not knowing exactly what I would want with my first crossbow, I purchased my ExoMax bare. I then added some firebolts, cocking aid, and Rage broadheads. I later added a groundpounder mount, STS, stringing aid, FFF string and cheap quiver. I was content using the stock sight. 2" high at 20, dead on at 35.

Recently while on Ebay I searched for crossbow scope to see what was out there. I found one made by Hammers, 4X32CB , and ended up getting it for $34 shipped. I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised. It has a good weight to it, it's very clear, and comes with 3/8" rings and caps. I replaced the rings with some $10 Weaver mediums, and bought the scope mount at BPS.

I got everything installed and mounted up on my ExoMax. I sighted it in at 20 steps (I use steps instead of yards because that is what I use in the field) and got a nice tight group. This scope is calibrated for a much slower crossbow than my 355 fps ExoMax. The top line at 20 steps, but I was able to take the second line out to 50 steps. 30 steps is 1/3 between the first and second lines. 40 steps is 1/2 way between the first and second line. And as mentioned the second line was on at 50 steps.

The reticle is kinda thick, and the it is calibrated for slower crossbows. But overall I am pleased with what I got for $34. I will likely upgrade to a Varizone next year, but this one will do for the remainder of this season.
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
8up

Post by 8up »

Glad you figured out. I love my lumizone even though I never turn the illumination part on I like the amount of light it lets in and have a mark that hits dead on foe 10,20,30,40,50. Well worth the money in my opinion.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

As long as you know what it's doing,that's all that matters. How are those cowlawacums doing,got them sighted in you're good to go :)

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've owned a couple Hammers brand red-dot sights and the quality was very good for the price.
wabi