Dog Training

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Dog Training

Post by wheelie »

Want to train a tracking dog, Is it best for me to find someone to hunt with that has dogs already trained and see if they would let mine run with theres, or is it possible to do it on you own. Also reading up on it they have shock collars, Don't know if it is a must but dog will be my little buddy and don't know if I want that, thanks in advance. Buy the way won't get a dog till everything in place and I know exaclly what I want and know forsure I can train him. will also be a house pet. Want a pure bread hound. Will spend up to 1500 for a good blood line so I want to train right from day one. It will be a pup, don;t want someones reject that don't do it well
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

There is some really good info on the net on training your dog to track. Google is your friend! I'd been thinking about doing the same thing but I caved to pressures from my wife and daughter and got a ShihTsu. Just got the pup on Saturday.

They say you can train any dog to track blood but I was kind of hoping for a more "traditional" hunting dog. People will undoubtedly laugh at me but our new pup might actually work out though: He's a real sniffer and he's down close to the ground. And at 2 months old he's already a jumper. He has so far jumped over every barricade I thought he'd find impossible to get over. I don't think I'll have to worry about him getting over deadfalls.

First thing you're going to need is blood. Get everyone you know to save deer blood when they're field dressing. Just bring some double ziplocks or camera film canisters when you're hunting. Freeze the blood until you need it. A film canister of blood can be mixed with a gallon of water - preferably not city water. Start simple with short straight lines of the water/blood dripping from a pinhole in the bucket. Have a reward at the end of the trail. Gradullay, you can work on trails that double back on themselves, have breaks in them then further breaks in them, work on older blood trails, rained on blood trails and so on.

They say not to use deer parts because you're are trying to teach the dog to track blood - not deer themselves. You want the dog to stat focussed on the blood trail and not go crazy in the woods and start following every deer trail it finds.

Anyways, hit Google and good luck!
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

An interesting article in the latest deer and deer hunting mag about dashund weaner dogs being specifically bred for the job of tracking deer. There is a difference between a bloodhound and a deer tracker. They suggested using a leg with the tarsal gland still attached and dragging it through different terrain then progressing into tracking through deer dense areas so that the pup will learn to stay with the deer being tracked when it crosses other fresh trails. I'm seriously considering one of these dogs as a house pet some day as I don't have time and space for a larger dog. anyone know of a breeder here in SW Ont?
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

My dauchhound jumps when a leaf flutters by--he once saw a mouse and turned tail---maybe we just have wimp---he is a good house dog though
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Dogs are trackers by nature, it's getting them to track what you want them to, thats when the works starts, start them young be firm but most of all you got to love them, you'll have a buddy for life

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

These were wire haired daschunds
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Hmm. I may have ASSumed Wheelie was talking about a blood tracking dog. If you're talking about recovery of a shot deer then what I said about blood is pertinent. If you're talking about traing deer to find deer and track their trails then the metatarsal gland and deer legs should be used in the training.
tuckabuck

Post by tuckabuck »

There is alot of good info on blood tracking wounded deer at deer search and Born to track. I just got on a waiting list for a wire haired dachshund myself.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above...