European mounts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

European mounts

Post by Farmer »

What is the best way to a european mount ? Can it be boiled too long ?. What have you found to be the best grease cutter to add to the water ? I have read a few articles off the web . what I really need is some real life experience from some of the good members here .
Oliver

Boil Boil Boil

Post by Oliver »

I just did one on very low heat for about 7 hours. Skin it, then slow cook, scraping periodically and until cartlidges in skull are all scraped away (dont be scared to be aggressive). Then when all done pour raw bleach on skull...TADAH!!! will look awesome
killshot

Post by killshot »

Here is a link to do this. There are severial was to do it. I am doing it with beetles. You need to be careful doing it by boiling it. It takes longer with the beetles but I am in no hurry.

http://www.hidetanning.net/SkullCleaning.html
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I boil head in water with one cup of soda ash ( if you dont have soda ash bake some baking soda in oven 1 hour at 300 degrees it will change soda to soda ash safely) remove rinse it will turn nice and white as it dries..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Try a search, there was a good thread on this earlier this fall. Somebody provided excellent step by step instructions for a simple method that has worked well for me.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
dutchhunter

horn mount

Post by dutchhunter »

if you live in the boones with nobody close you can clean as much s posable with a knife then hang it by the horns in the headges or bushes the birds will pick it very clean in the winter then just power wash it and give it a coat of paint
honker

Post by honker »

Hoss wrote:I boil head in water with one cup of soda ash ( if you dont have soda ash bake some baking soda in oven 1 hour at 300 degrees it will change soda to soda ash safely) remove rinse it will turn nice and white as it dries..
For how long would you do this step Hoss?
honker

Re: European mounts

Post by honker »

Farmer wrote:What is the best way to a european mount ? Can it be boiled too long ?. What have you found to be the best grease cutter to add to the water ? I have read a few articles off the web . what I really need is some real life experience from some of the good members here .

Which method have you gone with?

I've got two skulls frozen in my backyard right now. Still trying to figure out what to do with them. I'd love to do what we did in north dakota and just leave them in a wetland for a month or so and return, et voila, but it's -15 C here!!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

sorry honker i didnt see your reply until today..If you dont see this i will send you a pm as well..

as your boiling things will just cook off as you know.. I will pick it up and look at it time to time and when it looks like all meat and flesh and tendons are gone brains included I just take it out and rinse..I keep my water boiling (OH and do this outside ofcourse) and if it needs a little longer then I just put it back in for a little while..good luck
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
NativeHunter

Post by NativeHunter »

Robert Gray
www.pamunkey.net
www.mpra.org
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I am doing one right now as I type this. It is the second Boil. I really dont think you can boil them to long. This is my first one and I am doing it for a friend. A coworker lent me his Propane Turkey base and his 6 or 7 gallon farm market tub. he has done plenty and says he usually cooks for about 5 hours.

He then goes to a Beauty Shop or there Supply House and gets peroxide in Number 40 strength and applies and lets sit and they turn out snow white. I have seen some of his. Real nice.

I have a piece of Cherry coming for the Boards I have to Size to mount it on.

Here it is starting the second boil in clean water.

killshot

Post by killshot »

very nice GE keep us posted with pic's when it is all done.