How to make it quieter.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Very well said Bill, after gun season and black powder twice deer are on edge now. Idea is to scout now for next year before gun season. My goal now is to get good enought calling to get yotes with my xbow.
HW

Post by HW »

Just remember 99.9% of all of our shots are placed in a foam target. If a quieter bow gets you practicing more, then that is a good thing. I love the fact that my bow shoots with a lot less vibration and noise with a Boo string. It just keeps the practice sessions lasting a lot longer.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

i have to wait till end of jan to even apply for my boo string :cry: but it will be worth the wait :P
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
Normous

Post by Normous »

stoop14 wrote:i have to wait till end of jan to even apply for my boo string :cry: but it will be worth the wait :P
In the meantime shoot the crap out of the one that comes with your Equinox.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
frydaddy

Thanks everyone.

Post by frydaddy »

:D Thanks guys for all the great advice, you to Bill. Your invite
is still waiting you and kat. Excalibur is a great company because
Bill had a great idea. Thanks , Gary
Well i didn't wake up on the Coolen board.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I don't worry too much about trying to quiet the bow. The reason is I grew up with recurve bows and we fought to quiet those down! Now think about how quiet those can be. Do you think we could approach that with a crossbow?

Another point. Just think about how little noise will put a deer to flight. Is this possible to be that quiet with a crossbow to not put a deer to flight? I think not; therefore, I do not worry about the noise at the shot but do worry about any noise preparing for the shot.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Quieting a crossbow has little to do with deer hunting, for me it is just another reason to tinker with a toy I am constantly looking for reasons to pick up. The other is that I shoot a lot, a whole lot.
Dampening the noise and vibration of the bow makes continuous shooting a bit more pleasurable, in a hunting situation it makes little difference.
For every 2000 shots I take, one of them is in a hunting environment.
Tinkerers tinker, it is just in our blood. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

smokepolehall wrote:well you can be like my friend awshucks and myself be half deaf noise doesn't bother us

Add me to that list as well.

Classic hearing loss due to gun fire. Hearing protection was not recommended while in jungles.
Mike P wrote: Give me 300 ft. and it can sound like a cherry bomb going off for all I care. The deer will hear it, but it will be too late. He is dead; he just doesn't know it yet.
I said the above in another thread regarding the "wish lists" for new models. That being said I have a Boo string on order with cat whiskers. I want one of Boo's strings for the serving and thought "when in Rome" and ordered the whiskers as well.

I hardly ever shoot my crossbows any time but during the deer season. And then it is only to check to see if the scope is still on and if the arrows with broadheads fly true.

No amount of additional shooting be it gun or crossbow is going to have any affect on my performance with either.

I only have so many shots left in me.

And I am conserving them! :lol:
saxman

Post by saxman »

Mike P wrote:
smokepolehall wrote:well you can be like my friend awshucks and myself be half deaf noise doesn't bother us

Add me to that list as well.

Classic hearing loss due to gun fire. Hearing protection was not recommended while in jungles.
Mike P wrote: Give me 300 ft. and it can sound like a cherry bomb going off for all I care. The deer will hear it, but it will be too late. He is dead; he just doesn't know it yet.
I said the above in another thread regarding the "wish lists" for new models. That being said I have a Boo string on order with cat whiskers. I want one of Boo's strings for the serving and thought "when in Rome" and ordered the whiskers as well.

I hardly ever shoot my crossbows any time but during the deer season. And then it is only to check to see if the scope is still on and if the arrows with broadheads fly true.

No amount of additional shooting be it gun or crossbow is going to have any affect on my performance with either.

I only have so many shots left in me.

And I am conserving them! :lol:
I can relate Mike
The more I pratice the worse I get.
Bad habits get worse
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Yhis subject comes up so often one of the threads ought to be made a sticky!!!

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... m&start=15
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
frydaddy

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Post by frydaddy »

Hi5 wrote:Yhis subject comes up so often one of the threads ought to be made a sticky!!!

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... m&start=15

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well i didn't wake up on the Coolen board.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

tape a 6" piece of copper pipe insulation on top of the stock where you rest your cheek. BAM! the bow is "quieter" for about 5 cents :lol:

also makes it warm on your cheek and makes it more comfortable if using a scope :wink:
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

ch312 wrote:tape a 6" piece of copper pipe insulation on top of the stock where you rest your cheek. BAM! the bow is "quieter" for about 5 cents :lol:

also makes it warm on your cheek and makes it more comfortable if using a scope :wink:
post a pic of this please.
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
Normous

Post by Normous »

stoop14 wrote:
ch312 wrote:tape a 6" piece of copper pipe insulation on top of the stock where you rest your cheek. BAM! the bow is "quieter" for about 5 cents :lol:

post a pic of this please.
Look at Digger's photo:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... cheekpiece
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Belt&Suspenders

Post by Belt&Suspenders »

Frydaddy, I have the Exomax also and yes, it's loud and I fell into the trap of filling the stock with expanding foam (the kind like you buy at Home Depot in a can. I think this brand was Dow I used.) I forgot to plug up the area around my trigger assembly and Good Lord, what a mess I had. My bride of 28 years took pity on me and picked all that stuff out one night around the trigger (good woman!) Bottom line, yes I think it helped quieten it down a bit but if I had done it to yours and not told you, I'm not sure you could tell. Maybe it's a 5% reduction or so but I'm guessing. Whatever it was it sure wasn't a drastic reduction.

I notice you're in Screven, GA. I used to rent hunting land there in Screven, GA from a old fellow named Mr. Burns on highway 21. Don't know if you know him but he was a nice old x-farmer. Have moved to Nashville, TN from Rincon, GA about a year ago for my job but sure know where you are!

Hope you get a big one. And you know what I say "dumb deer should be killed before they breed and have more dumb deer!" :D