well it happened. a dry fire!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

blackjack

well it happened. a dry fire!

Post by blackjack »

thanks to all for your replies to my last mail about limbs. well l got to take my very first shot l said to my wife darlene come on & check it out babe well l set up a safe target in the back yard with the rope cocker l loaded my crossbow or should l say cocked it & aimed the taget up & fired she said where did your arrow go l replied in the target l no forsure were it was aimed it should have hit the target but no l then worried that it went elsewhere but no my first shot was a dry fire l could not believe it, l've been a rifle shooter for years & have never forgot to put a bullet in my rifle breach. well the second shot went great l have not had alot to do with crossbows & cant believe how much power it has there seems to be no splinters or damage. l read of another member who had the same thing happen & one member said he was lucky that he had sts on it what is sts & does my y25 have it as well? or is it the rubber mount at the front of the crossbow limbs & do they protect it from a mistake like a dryfire. best regards blackjack
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It happens, Blackjack! 8)

The "rubber mount at the front of the crossbow limbs" you refer to is the dissipator pad assembly. I'm sure they don't hurt anything in the case of a dry-fire, and they may help.

STS is a string-stop dampening system that is purchased and installed aftermarket. Your Y25 wouldn't have it from the factory. Lots of info on the forum about the STS. Do a search.

Glad your bow wasn't hurt! :D
Grizz
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Grizzly Adam wrote:It happens, Blackjack! 8)

The "rubber mount at the front of the crossbow limbs" you refer to is the dissipator pad assembly. I'm sure they don't hurt anything in the case of a dry-fire, and they may help.

STS is a string-stop dampening system that is purchased and installed aftermarket. Your Y25 wouldn't have it from the factory. Lots of info on the forum about the STS. Do a search.

Glad your bow wasn't hurt! :D
thanks & yes l just read abit about them then. best regards
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It is common for the dissapator bars to bend slightly in a dry fire, you may want to have a closer look.
Glad you didn't get hurt.i
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pydpiper wrote:It is common for the dissapator bars to bend slightly in a dry fire, you may want to have a closer look.
Glad you didn't get hurt.i
and that is coming from a past president of the dry-fire club! Don't feel bad doing the deed is dumb but more common than most will admit. Keep using the string that came with the bow, it helps in this situation.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Oh, yeah.. My bow is no stranger to a dry fire. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper wrote:Oh, yeah.. My bow is no stranger to a dry fire. :D
Even with the rope cocking aid still on it :roll:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

enormous wrote:
LOL!!! Well I am glad you are ok after that but I could barely contain myself when you told me that on the phone! Could have been worse! Do me a favor David, when something like that happens again, can you buy me one lottery ticket?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

I hearby induct blackjack into the pretigus Dry Fire Club.

E plurabus unum (all others pay cash) Dominos nabisco shlackum lickum
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

enormous wrote:
In all fairness I had an arrow in place. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

saxman wrote:I hearby induct blackjack into the pretigus Dry Fire Club.

E plurabus unum (all others pay cash) Dominos nabisco shlackum lickum
I second that nomination Sax..

Im in it as well..but its been along time since I learned my lesson..
Im also in the club ( please remove arrow before uncocking club with foot in stirup)

But ive yet to become a member of keep thumb outa the way when firing club..I dont want to join that club at all..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Have not joined the club yet!!but I will post when it happens atleast I will know what to look for as far as damage goes!!
The best things in life are not things!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Dryfire, Schmyfire! Quit yer belly achin! I've had a few, but here's the pick of the litter. I'm finally gonna fess up on this one.

I was at Rio Bonito on the ACF hunt. Think it was 02/06. Fairly salty trip. Had my .223 but was determined to take an animal w/ xbow. Had a ground blind w/ me and finally started using it late in the trip, Thurs. Hadn't got near a shot prior to that. You get 8 hunts, 2 per day, starting on Monday am.

Got the blind set up at lunch and climbed in it about 3:30. Got all situated, cocked the bow, took quiver off, mounted range finder and was waiting on a piggy. Reading a paper back when about 15 ran into the feeder. Thought Hot Damm, meat on the hoof. Picked a fat porker out at 20 yds and cut loose. They all ran off and I couldn't see the hit. Cocked the bow and reached down for an arrow. There were still 4 in the 4 arrow quiver.

That was all she wrote. Got home and saw I blew a limb. Perfect ending. :oops:
"Eze 18:21"