Good starter package for making my own servings?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

Boo wrote:First off the material is NFG, the serving tool has much to be desired (strips material off at the tension needed for a crossbow) and that U shaped red thing is for compound bows. Other than that it's ok!
I like the Cavalier Pro which is surpassed by the Spigarelli at the moment. I have done several hundred servings (an understatement) on crossbow strings and the afore mentioned serving tools are not expensive and will last you a long time.
out of the cavalier pro and the spigarelli what would you recomend? archers nook has the cavalier pro, dont see the spigarelli anywhere though, also where would i buy that good .030 halo serving?
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
Boo

Post by Boo »

killshot wrote:Sorry for the stupid question but this is how we learn. If I understand correctly the string itself will last alot longer than the serving. Correct? So you take off the old serving when it is worn out and reserve it?
You are correct.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Re: serving

Post by Boo »

Leonard Hawkins wrote:was going to get brownell from BH warehouse, it is .036. is this good or too thick. ? hawk
No it isn't too thick. I assume you are mentioning their crossbow serving? I like Halo much better than the crossbow serving.
Boo

Post by Boo »

stoop14 wrote:
Boo wrote:First off the material is NFG, the serving tool has much to be desired (strips material off at the tension needed for a crossbow) and that U shaped red thing is for compound bows. Other than that it's ok!
I like the Cavalier Pro which is surpassed by the Spigarelli at the moment. I have done several hundred servings (an understatement) on crossbow strings and the afore mentioned serving tools are not expensive and will last you a long time.
out of the cavalier pro and the spigarelli what would you recomend? archers nook has the cavalier pro, dont see the spigarelli anywhere though, also where would i buy that good .030 halo serving?
The Cavalier Pro is just fine. If Archer's Nook won't get it for you then go to some one who will, The Bow Shop, they probably stock it or they used to before I started buying direct.
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

Boo wrote:
stoop14 wrote:
The Cavalier Pro is just fine. If Archer's Nook won't get it for you then go to some one who will, The Bow Shop, they probably stock it or they used to before I started buying direct.
but for a beginner like me, would the cavalier be easier to use then the spigarelli or vise versa?
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Boo

Post by Boo »

It won't make any difference. I may replace all of my Cavalier tools with Spigsrellis. Fogducker is helping me out on making the Cavaliers better. Neither are sophistcated or difficult to use.
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

Then there is the Mercedes-Benz of serving tools, the "Beiter Winder PROFI Heavy":
http://www.wernerbeiter.com/en/products ... /index.php

The following link shows a bunch of various brands of serving tools:
http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Bowsp ... s_126.html
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have 2 Beiters. They are very good at laying down a thin serving onto a small diameter string but the do well on crossbow strings. You also cannot put enough tension on the serving.
The problem with the plastic serving tool is that the serving is dragged across a metal ring rather than run over a roller. With the tension required to serve a crossbow the ring rips up the serving. I found a continuous flow of serving material coming off the serving tool that seemed to be ripped off at the rings where the serving was threaded through.
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

Here's more info on the Beiter brand serving tool plus a few other Beiter tools or aids for the string maker:

http://www.wernerbeiter.com/en/informat ... der_GB.pdf

Remember just about any tool can be modified by the user to suit them selves or the type serving thread to be used.
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I give up!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo wrote:I give up!
DAMM, was gonna get you one for Xmas! :lol:
"Eze 18:21"
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

That's discouraging :cry: I thought this was a valid question, I looked the stuff up online, but thought I would also come here to get some first hand knowledge.
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Boo

Post by Boo »

stoop14 wrote:
That's discouraging :cry: I thought this was a valid question, I looked the stuff up online, but thought I would also come here to get some first hand knowledge.
I think I answered your question. The "I give up" was about the hijacker.
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

Boo wrote:
stoop14 wrote:
I think I answered your question. The "I give up" was about the hijacker.
oh thanks, yes you did. Is the cavalier one rollers so i don't strip material off?
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Boo

Post by Boo »

Not really but the serving goes over rods at an angle that is not nearly as acute as in those plastic serving tools. The plastic tools cause the serving to take a 180 degree bend around the grommets the serving goes through.