WHERE WE LIVE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

WHERE WE LIVE

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Where do YOU live?

This is a thread where everyone is invited to post information about where they live ... tell us what kind of place you call home ... where it is, what sort of place it is, what the hunting and fishing is like ... whatever you want to share.

Make it as personal as you care to, and remember that you can always edit your post to include more!

So ... let's show and tell! :D :D

And we all thank Mike P. for the idea to make another post like this a community affair! Thanks, Mike! 8)
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

OK ... I'll start the ball rolling:

I live in Tyrrell County, North Carolina ... on the Albemarle/Pamlico peninsula in Northeastern North Carolina. Here is the county website:

http://www.visittyrrellcounty.com/default.asp

I live on a farm adjacent to the eastern boundary of the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge. Here is a video about the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEe3aewODoo

Our year-old house when it was four months old (no, it's not a deer stand :wink:):

April and I live happily in the Gum Neck Township portion of Tyrrell County, on 104 acres, of which 65 acres are working farmland. Corn, wheat, soybeans and potatoes are grown on our farm. We bought the place from my wife's maternal grandmother; her great-great-great grandparents are buried north of the house, under a huge old magnolia tree. Our new house is about where the old homeplace stood, down at the end of a mile-long road in the middle of nowhere ... just the way we like it. 8) No other houses near; just us!

Click here for an aerial view of our farm:

http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx= ... l=-1&drwl=

Our place is located in the least populated county of North Carolina ... a land of big timber swamps, pocosins (shrub bog), pine plantations, vast agricultural fields, winding blackwater streams, and wide rivers ... all surrounded by sounds and ocean. It's a wild place, in many ways ... full of wildlife, rare species, fish and birds of all sorts, and seemingly endless space. Called a "sportsman's paradise" by many, our area is famous for it's hunting and fishing.

Our climate is temperate, as you would expect from it's southern location ... and more "Deep South" in character than most points this far north, because of it's proximity to the Gulf Stream. Hot and humid in the summer ... not too cold in the winter. Lots of tee-shirt days in January and February.

A good place to live. It's home to me! :D

A few pics from the area:

Pics from my house:

Red wolf (very elusive)

Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

I live in Extreme N.E Florida in Nassau county (Amelia Island)

I am 3 or 4 miles from the GA line and 3 or 4 from the Ocean.

I hunt mostly planted pines and Booger swamps.
We have HUGE blocks of woods with no breaks,it's green all year.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I live in Southwestern Pa. It is gentlly rolling hills on the West side of the Appalachian Mountains. On a clear day on a high hill I can see the Mountain tops.

It used to be mostly Agricultural but progress has moved in and Housing developements are springing up and the farms are being bought up by the Coal companies and be abandoned.

I still have access to about a thousand acres to Hunt on 3 different farms but have lost a lot of my prime territory. I still consider myself very lucky believe me.

I hunt Deer and Turkey here at home and drive 150 miles to fish lake Erie. I quit Bear Hunting in 85 when I got one that year.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

like grizz
my drive way is 3/4 mile long
i live on a finger ridge that extends into a swamp and thenends at a tidal marsh
there are deer and ducks around but nowhere near what tyrell county has
i live in new hanover county which is well over 100,00 people in probably the smallest county in the state geographically
unlike grizz
i live 5 miles or less from a comercial multi-airline airport
10 or so miles from beautiful beaches that are relatively near the gulf stream too
i have a lot of neighbors within 1/2 mile and up on my hill i can hear planes, trains, and lotsa sireens sometimes as i am a mile and a half from a fire station
thanks philip
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

well for me its the farthest part of south east ga. about 2 or 3 hours depends on how you drive it from the fla line and about an hour from the atlantic coast. in a city of over 250,000 folks. mostly military due to hunter army and ft steweart army base. and serveal big compaines that have made savannah thier home. i am a additic to turkey huning but i do like to hunt for deer. and i also do a lot of fresh water fishing for bream and crappie. along with some saltwater for trout and redfish. and still looking for mis right if she is out thier.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
fratri

Post by fratri »

Well I live in Brantford S.W. Ontario, one of the highest property tax rates in the province... Formerly of Toronto, Maple, Ontario....
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I live in the hills and hollows of southern Ohio just outside of Cincinnati. The glaciers really did a number here and gave this area some beautiful terrain. The area consists of woodlots and farm fields and is absolutely perfect habitat for big bruiser whitetails. A corn fed mature whitetail buck here can easily push 250 lbs and some go as high as 300 lbs. I am so blessed to live right smack dab in the middle of big buck heaven!

I also live in the woods. Here are some pictures of my house and how it is situated in these woods. This first picture is one taken from my friend Becker's helicopter. The house is on the left. The building you see on the right is my shop. I tinker with vintage sports cars when I am not in a climber.

This is a picture from my deck looking into the woods behind my house. It is a daily occurrence to see whitetails from here.

And here is a picture of the front yard with little furry friends visiting.

Here is one of the house from the front showing that we do indeed get the cold stuff here and do our great white north impersonation every once in a while.

I walk from my house to do all my whitetail hunting the only exception being when I hunt the farm. If I want to hunt the far extremes of "the neighborhood" I take my ATV.
My buddy Doc lives directly across from me and he and I are the only hunters. Our neighbors beg us to come and kill the deer eating their landscaping. I am pretty much retired and usually hunt everyday.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

my old saying i have crossbow and i will travel.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm moving in with Mike! :lol: The shop will do just fine, I'm not fussy.

I live in Kitchener/Waterloo. Southern Ontario - my brother calls it "the armpit of Canada." We were raised in Alberta and that spoiled us. I miss the clean air, the big sky, the huge tracts of wild places and I felt claustrophobic here the first years. Thankfully, a friend took me north and introduced me to canoeing - saved me. :D More recently I met my husband and had the opportunity to take up hunting again after 15 years. I've come to terms with living here - most of my family is here, and all of my husband's family is here. I've come to appreciate the community, the quaintness, and have found places where I can pretend I'm thousands of miles away.

Kitchener/Waterloo is located along the Grand River and is known for it's two universities, and Conestoga College, for its technology sector (think RIM- Blackberry), it's wonderful farmers markets, and the surrounding Mennonite farming communities. The K/W area is rich in history - pioneer and pre-settlement. The "twin cities" have grown immensely in the 22 yrs I've lived here, but they still retain much of their smaller town feel. We're close to Toronto (1 hr), not far from the US border - Niagara, Windsor, Sarnia (2-3 hrs). The Great Lakes are within a few hours drive (Ontario, Huron, Erie... with Michigan and Superior just a bit further). The Canadian Shield, that huge rugged stretch of granite, is also just to the north of us. It's much different than the west, but I've come to think of it as just as beautiful in it's own way.

We live in a fairly small house in an older section of Kitchener. 2 bdrm, 1 bath. When our area was built up almost 60 yrs ago, it was the edge of town - now it's considered "centrally located" and just about downtown. We're close to just about everything and it doesn't take us long (20 mins) to get to either of the two farms we are allowed to hunt. Our neighborhood is exceptionally friendly and close. We are blessed!
Last edited by VixChix on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just a small house in a small town in southern Ohio. I'm located about 50-60 miles east of Cincinnati in a still mostly rural area.
A small town I was raised in and have seen grow from a few hundred residents to a few thousand, and a small house my father built before I was born. He got out of the navy after WWII (he was at Pearl Harbor on the day it was attacked), came home, got married, and built his place of business (a blacksmith shop I still own), and then the house which I now own.
Like VixChix, the house was on the edge of town when it was built, and the farms that were our back yard are now subdivisions. I can remember my father sighting in his rifle from the back porch. Today it would be dangerous to throw a rock very hard from the back porch!
It's small (2 BR, 1 bath, spam, living room, & a large utility room), but it fits my family well since we're down to our one son at home with us now.
wabi
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Saginaw County in Michigan. 35 miles from Saginaw; 50 miles from Lansing and 45 miles to Flint. We are 11 miles from the town where we get our mail. Most land around here is farm but we live on the edge of farm/wild, mostly wooded land.

Live on a dead end road (and have a long driveway in the woods) along with two other homes on this road. We do live right in the woods. Our acreage is a little over 40 and we have over 1/4 mile frontage on a good sized creek. The creek is good for sucker fishing in the Spring. We had beavers for some time but they've left now. Still have plenty of muskrats and an occasional weasel or mink. Some ducks and heron in the creek during summer.

Our 40 is mostly wooded but we do have a large vegetable garden (actually 2 of them) and a couple small food plots for deer. We have sandy ground and some is open sand and it is just like beach sand. Yes, many arrowheads have been found on our place.

We usually have lots of deer and way too many turkeys. The deer herd really took a hit this year after a large kill last year so our herd is way down now for sure. We have, or had, several deer that were so used to us that we could get really close to them. Three times we've had fawns born right in our yard. The last one was born about 10 feet from the spam window!

We heat 100% with wood and cut all of our wood on our place. Presently we are cutting white ash because of the emerald ash borer, compliments of our Asian friends. All of the ash is dead or dying. We've made some lumber but most goes into fire wood.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
njxbow

Post by njxbow »

i live in central nj about 1 hour outside of NYC. this is THE land of the highest taxes, highest car insurance, and highest real estate costs in the nation. it the most densely populated state and i can't wait until i can retire and leave. with that said, we do have long deer seasons. bow season starts in september to the end of november. it picks up again in december then runs until mid february. private hunting land is real hard to come by and when it does,be prepared to pay. i'm in a small club that leases 130 acres and we pay $4500 per year for the lease.
liaf

Post by liaf »

njxbow wrote:i live in central nj about 1 hour outside of NYC. this is THE land of the highest taxes, and highest real estate costs in the nation.
I live 25 miles north of NYC on the western side of the Hudson River. I think I have the highest taxes and real estate cost -lets see 2100 square foot home on 2/5 acre- $11,000 a year in property taxes. back when we moved here (1967) there was lots of farmland now theres lots of asphalt. My county is 25% parkland so no hunting is allowed-Getting too old to do the sneak and peak. Couple of large wooded areas owned by the local utility co- Hunting per se is not allowed but if you live along the perimeter you have access to these lands. I take the entire month of november off from work and drive to Central NY where I do my hunting. X-bows are illegal in NYS but NJ should allow them in 2009 so Hopefully I can do some hunting there as they do have some state land where hunting is permitted. Like njxbow I am stuck here till i retire
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's mine. The carpenters among you need to be merciful, lol.

1st house view:
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... /house.jpg[/img][/img]

Guest house:
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... house2.jpg[/img][/img]

Decks and hot tub. Note mntn in background [south], there's another like it equal distance to the north, forming a 25 mile long valley.
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... ubleft.jpg[/img][/img]

The laboratory:
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... garage.jpg[/img][/img]

RV shed: [site of 4whlr arrowing]
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... 040005.jpg[/img][/img]

This is a map of 8400 acre walk in only turkey area. The pink square in upper left corner is private property I have permission to hunt. My place is about at the small letter 'n' in Eagleton, a ghost town.
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... -map72.jpg[/img][/img]

If any of y'all are ever in the area, mi casa su casa.
"Eze 18:21"