Virginia Deer Season Over

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NativeHunter

Virginia Deer Season Over

Post by NativeHunter »

Saturday was the last day of deer season here in Virginia, a longer season than usual as my first year crossbow hunting. Illness and other issues kept me from hunting as much as I wanted during bow and muzzleloader season, but still successful. One deer with crossbow, one with muzzleloader, and two with shotgun. Looking forward to more time with my Exomax next season.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Still about a month to go here in Ohio, but I'm not out much after gun season. I often think they run our season too late in the year.
wabi
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

wabi wrote:I often think they run our season too late in the year.
I hear you. Actually the Virginia Deer season is not over. In Loudoun County I can continue to shoot doe with a rifle until the end of March. Yes, March. The season started with a doe only archery season beginning in September. Thats almost 7 months of deer hunting.

As usual, I burned myself out by Thanksgiving. The archery and black powder seasons are the best time to be in the woods anyway. I only went out in VA on two quick hunts between Thanksgiving and New Years and didn't see a thing.

I'm not a big fan of shooting a late winter/early spring doe. Now September doe? That was excellent.

DuckHunt
taxman

va

Post by taxman »

ive had a great year. im embarassed to say how many deer ive shot.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Taxman,

What's to be embarrassed about. VA has very generous bag limits, if killed legally then there shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of. Or it could be the other end of the spectrum, a good season could mean only 1 deer (if that one deer was a 160 inch buck, then I would consider it a great season). A seasons outcome is different for each hunter, it is not always measured by the number of deer killed. For me I had a fair season compared to years past as far as the number of deer killed. I killed 10, my legal limit of 3 bucks were all mature bucks (2 20 inch 8 points and an 18 inch 6 point with a busted main beam). The busted beam buck would have went 21-22 inches if not broken. As far as bucks, it was a great season for me.

Rich