What excalibur for small game?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

stoop14

What excalibur for small game?

Post by stoop14 »

I have a equinox currently for the bigger stuff. But i'm itching to get a bow with not as much power too hunt grouse and pheasants, so i'm not fetching arrows 100 yards away. I was thinking vixen or phenoix.
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
mikej

Post by mikej »

i shot lots of grouse this year with my phoenix
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

Did it turn them to mush?
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
wabi

Post by wabi »

You might call or email Excal and see if they still have "light" limbs available. They used to offer them as an option to reduce draw weight.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you can use a rubber blunt hit them in the wing area. or like they said set of light limbs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Love my Vixon for that and target shooting ect. saves alot of wear and tear and serving last a long time. Never plan to get rid of it. Saves wear and tear on big bow.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Unless you can slow it down to about 15 FPS I don't see the point in trying to go slower, any arrow tip is going to pass clean through small game whether it is going 350 FPS or slowed to 200 FPS.
I think it would be more important to concentrate on the type of head, match it to your intention of the small game and practice accuracy to avoid meat damage if that is why you choose to hunt them.
The day before our deer season ended here I shot 2 rabbits @300 FPS, both clean kills, no meat damage and with a slick trick (that is now dedicated to small game :oops: ).
I just don't think that a slower bow will make as much difference as head choice and shot placement.
However, if you need an excuse to buy another bow, then I think a slower one is definitely in order! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
the elf

what exc. for small game

Post by the elf »

I think you guys are looking at things backwards-a slower bow is not needed---make a few small game arrows with a washer behind a field point --but no larger in width than a normal broadhead---at short range they are devastating and usually do not get lost in long grass or weeds. Tinker to find the size of washer that works best.They work quite well on backyard predators. Sorry but I can't do pictures.
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

I basically dont want to be chasing arrows 100 yards.
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Pydpiper wrote:Unless you can slow it down to about 15 FPS I don't see the point in trying to go slower, any arrow tip is going to pass clean through small game whether it is going 350 FPS or slowed to 200 FPS.
I think it would be more important to concentrate on the type of head, match it to your intention of the small game and practice accuracy to avoid meat damage if that is why you choose to hunt them.
The day before our deer season ended here I shot 2 rabbits @300 FPS, both clean kills, no meat damage and with a slick trick (that is now dedicated to small game :oops: ).
I just don't think that a slower bow will make as much difference as head choice and shot placement.
However, if you need an excuse to buy another bow, then I think a slower one is definitely in order! :D

an arrow traveling 200fps will have a lot less energy than one traveling 350fps. why do you think they have flu flu arrows for the vertical bows? to use up that energy quickly so the arrow doesnt hit as hard or travel as far. this is equal to slowing down your bolts quite a bit and that will make a difference.

a 400gr bolt traveling at 350fps has 108ft/lbs of energy at the "muzzle" while one traveling at 200fps has only 35ft/lbs. that is a huge difference.

obviously the much slower bolt will not create as much damage if using a blunt and wont bury into the ground as far as a bolt with 3x more energy.
DMc

Post by DMc »

I agree with Pydpiper on shot placement for small game being important. We are very good at selecting the vital zones in our big game animals but when it comes to small game hunting, I often see people view the animal as the target. I have shot hundreds of rabbits, quail and squirrels at close range with my long bows. Head shots on rabbits are the only thing that will work, cleanly and repeatedly.

I think the point made by ch312 can't be overlooked on the kinetic energy. These bows are so accurate that head shots on small game are really not a problem. Having your arrow survive being shot with its full load of energy is another story.

Dave
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

would the blunt ends being shot with my equinox not go through a grouse?
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
ch312

Post by ch312 »

stoop14 wrote:would the blunt ends being shot with my equinox not go through a grouse?
yes they will which is why im currently working on reducing my exomax to 200fps maybe even lower :wink:'

25ft/lbs is all thats needed to kill a squirrel or rabbit with blunt force or a 400gr bolt only needs to be traveling 170fps when it hits the critter. heck you only need 45ft/lbs of energy to put an arrow through a deer whish is around 225fps when it hits the deer.

yet here we are using these big fast bows and trying to make them faster :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Slower bows also require closer proximity to your target, while I am not against slowing down a bow I personally would be more comfortable shooting what I am used to shooting. A squirrel at 45 yards isn't really a challenge if I have a rangefinder, nor is one at 5 yards.
If I am close enough to shoot something with a 120# crossbow, which I have, I would much rather up the odds from my perspective, as the shooter and use a recurve.
If you are shooting squirrels out of trees a slower bow may be in order, but anything on the ground will have a complete pass through unless you really, really slow down a modern crossbow. One of my rabbits I shot was 10 feet away, with my Exocet at 300 FPS, I simply bent down and picked up my arrow, frozen ground though.
The difference in speed required from a slow bow to a fast bow is huge, its not like a few FPS is going to make a difference.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
the elf

what excal.for small game

Post by the elf »

Stoop14----you have a p.m.