What To Buy ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Houndsman

What To Buy ?

Post by Houndsman »

Let me start off by saying I'm new here and will hopefully be buying my first crossbow soon.All indications are we will soon have crossbows made legal for Deer hunting here in N.J.I've decided to buy an Excalibur crossbow,my question is what one to buy.I can't decide between the Vortex or the Equinox.I'll be deer hunting mostly with an occasional bear hunt.I realize there is no wrong answer,I'm just looking for some of your opinions and reasons why one would be a better choice than the other.Also are there any signifigant changes in the 2009 models compared to the 2008 models.There seem to be some good deals right now on the 2008 models on the internet. Thanks for the help.
terrym

Post by terrym »

If deer and bear are all you will hunt, the Phoenix will do it nicely without alot of fuss.
Sopchoppy

bow

Post by Sopchoppy »

I was making the same decision a year ago. Went with the Vortex as it is 1" shorter and makes it easier to shoulder. It's also 25 lbs. less pull to cock than the Equinox. The Phoenix will kill most anything in North America. The Vortex will shoot faster and flatter. The Eqinox will shoot even faster and flatter. Which ever Excalibur you decide on, you will not be disappointed. Welcome to the forum. Ask a lot of questions and you'll get answers from some GREAT crossbow hunters.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Vortex is the best all around

The equinox is the way to go if you want the most from your bow, but its slightly harder to cock of coarse. Both shoot great. I had the exocet 200 which is the redone vortex now and upgraded to the equinox this year. Love the bow, but it does wear strings faster than the slower models.

if your a speed freak, get the EQ :D But the vortex will do all you need to
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D There is really no bad choose in the excalibur lineup . But if all you are going to hunt is bear and deer then the exocet or vortex is the one for you . The only thing to decide is which one . The vortex is one inch shorter length of pull but same power stroke as the exocet .
liaf

Post by liaf »

Go to a store that sells them try out the 175lb thru 225lb model's.Look at which feels more comfortable -a thumbhole stock or standard one. All of us are unique to ourselves what's good for one person may not feel good to another. I own a vortex and a phoenix and they are different when comparing them. Remember, more speed ,more noise, more wear and tear on the body and bow. As someone else said whatever excal you pick you will not be disappointed.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
dutchhunter

bows

Post by dutchhunter »

consider your size .i have had most models and love them all .i am going back to a exocet 200 becoues i like the speed and the size of the bow .my last one was the vortex it was one inch shorter in the stock i like the longer one .the exocet is easyer to cock and easyer on strings then the EQ THAT IS 25 FPS faster then the 200lb bow i can live happily with 200lbs between my buddys and my self we have taken everything from deer elk and moose and bears never had a lack of power with the 175lb or 200lb bows .go to your dealer and try a bunch of different ones and you will fall in love with one DUTCH
frisky

Post by frisky »

First WELCOME. Try to SHOOT the bows to see which one FITS you best.
I have the Phoenix, works for me.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

you can't go wrong with any bows from excal.. you just have to figure you wants and needs .. i'm happy with the phoenix 175 lb bow ....it has more than enough power and speed to take down any animals that i ever would hunt ie moose, deer, bear, turkey
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome to the forum and good luck.either bow is great.
I shoot the Equinox
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011