food plots - any helpful hints.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vic

food plots - any helpful hints.

Post by Vic »

I firmly believe in having knowledge before adventuring into something new is always crucial in being succesfull. that is why i am here asking questions once again.

I am just finishing up plans for a food plot of my property on the eastern shores of lake huron. i am hoping you guys/gals that have successfull plots might lend some knowledge out there to me.

It is things too look out for while dealing with food plots. I understand the importance of proper care while planting food plots, but i was curious as to unforseen problems that occur once in awhile. just something to get the brain moving around untill turkey season.

Any help is greatly appreciated, since the snow is almost all gone here and i can get into the fields to flag and tag now.

P.S. were might someone attain a PH level reading of there soil in ontario. can this be done at a township office?

Thanks,

Vic
terrym

Post by terrym »

Food plot setups are getting more and more popular. Check out the QDMA sites, lots of good info but make sure youread up on Northern climate info.
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

Don`t know how it works in Canada.Find out if you have county Ag. agents,or University Ext. thats tests soil samples.If you live in a area with a lot of Conifer,plan on about 2 Ton of Lime per acre.19-19-19 seems to be a good all around fertilizer.I like to plant Winter Rye in August.I use white Clover on my trails.Turkey ,Deer and Grouse love it.Alfalfa is a good year round attractant.Mow it a couple times a year to make it green up.Food plotting is not cheap,but sure keeps the Game around!!!! :D
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanx for the info quys. I have reviewed some of qdma's practices and found it very helpful. currently i am trying a product from evolved food plots. they make a great lakes forage that is rated for temps and winter condiotions for my area. the require if a soild test cant be done to use 150lbs of 13-13-13 fertilizer per 1/2 acre. what would be the case of over fertilizing

On a side note, I have already started to use this wonderful goooooo called buck jam that has a 4' x 4' square hole about .5' deep, that i have spread apprx 4 gallon over.

P.S. the property that i have acess too is a 50 acre property, that had a f2 tornado rip through it about 6-8 years ago. Untill these past 2 winters the slag and rotting debris is really starting to get "Knocked back". however it has made amazing grouse populations, tracking deer is plan hell. this food plot i already made is dead centre of this "swamp" and has a 10 acre lake to the north of it.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

check with your local ofah group for equipment rentals ...in some areas they have plows discs seeds advice etc .....drop them an email .....
huntman

Post by huntman »

good thread i too will be planting this spring!@ From what i haver read and been told, it is a hit and miss the first year, you may not have anything come up at all. Perhaps CrazyFarmer and contribute to this, you may not have planted biological but you have an abundance of experience with other crops?
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Without a test, you can almost surely bet the ph is low and it needs lime. If you can't get a test, try putting it on at the rate of 2 tons per acre.

When you spread lime it is a very good idea to cover both the mouth and eyes. This stuff is pretty dusty. Spread it when the wind is not blowing or only a light wind. I like the light wind to keep the dust going away from me.

btw, we don't plant for turkeys (I hate those birds!) but do plant for deer. We have very sandy ground and usually have to add lime at least once every 3 years.

Summer time, usually early to mid June we like to plant buckwheat. Not only is this a deer magnet but it helps to build up the soil.

Anywhere from mid-August to early September we plant a 50/50 mix of rye and buck forage oats. We've been doing this for many years with excellent results.

Yes, we have tried regular field oats and also planting the rye and oats seperately. But there is a huge difference in how the deer come to it. They definitely prefer the BFO/Rye combination the best.

A small patch of clover or alfalfa (can be difficult to grow) is just icing on the cake.

Good luck.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Vic

Post by Vic »

Yes, i have had little sucess using other crops, however its a naturdal run for the deer to use so we had been using a few mineral deposits with great sucess. its just a matter of keeping them constent between, bedding are, watering hole and soon to be feeding area.
maple

Post by maple »

Vic,

Ther's an article in this month's Ontario Out of Doors about some guy and his food plots.

Maple
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Vic, you can purchase a hand-held Ph meter to test your own fields at some ag. stores or easily on-line for under $25. For small size plots you will likely need fertilizer such as 13-13-13 at least 200 to 300 lbs. per acre mixed with a similar amount of pelletized lime to get Ph level to near 7.0 and provide proper nutrition for successful plots of clover, chicory, alfalfa, buck forage oats, treefoil, turnip/brassica mixes etc. (Use 19-19-19 when planting field corn.)I use a pull-behind ATV spreader in my 15 separate small plots.For total plots over a couple acres in size it is more practical and cheaper to rent bulk tonage spreaders of powdered lime to pull with a farm tractor or pickup truck every 3 yrs. Two weeks before cultivating and planting a plot, mow existing plant growth down to several inches, then spray it with a "round-up" type herbicide to eliminate competition with your new plantings. If you have room for a few 1/4 acre plots, try to provide a variety of year-round food sources for the deer, especially their favorite annual-type crops for hunting season. To help provide additional food and cover attraction I have planted over 500 pines, apple, persimmon and various nut trees on my hunting property as well. Farming has become as addicting as hunting to me over the past ten years. :)
Timothy
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanx for the procedure guys, i will definetly be putting those factors to work for me. There is good numbers of deer in the area, so i cant wait to find out the results.

P.S. were might i acquire a ph meter ? would a TSC store have them?

Vic N.
maple

Post by maple »

Vic,

You should be able to find pH indicator strips in your local pharmacy. Mix about equal parts soil and water, let sit until it starts to clear a bit, then take a reading from the water on top. This'll get you to within +- 0.2

Maple