STS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bojangles

STS

Post by bojangles »

Im niterested in getting the sts.is it worth getting?does it help that much?
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think it is. To what do you refer to in your second question?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bojangles

sts

Post by bojangles »

i mean does it help that much with vibration or quieting it?(i know you cant quiet a crossbow all the way)but des it help that much.enough to notice?
thanks
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yes quite a lot. Noise and vibration are sensory inputs and as such are different from one person to the next. My opinion may be different from another. I think the major consensus will agree with me but you may not think it is worth it. I only know of one person who did not think it was worth it.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

It made a big difference in my Phoenix. The only thing that I can hear when I shoot is the arrow retainer arm vibrating. My friend who's house we were at couldn't get over how much difference there was in the noise his bow made compared to mine. It also may save you a splintered limb if you dry fire the bow as well. I would recommend it to everyone.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

deleted
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

it made my pheonix quieter as well ....i don't think the bow is quiet enough to get another shot off at a critter on a quiet day ... sts also took the vibration out of the bow ....i'm told it will help protect the bow in case of dry fire ... the dry fire club .....a club that i'm not a member of ...yet
liaf

Post by liaf »

First time I shot my phoenix I thought something exploded but found out that the noise is how loud an unsilenced bow shoots. I started practicing using ear muffs since I did not enjoy the noise. I waited several months and bought a Boo string w/ whiskers and a STS. I no longer use the ear protection since the bow is quieter and there is less vibration. Also I can follow the arrow to the target now. I just ordered 2 more Boo strings but this time w/o the whiskers as this is what Don recommends with a STS as a comprimise between speed and noise. First, get the STS cut the rods down the appropriate lenght and after getting use to shooting the phoenix get yourself some custom strings. I found out that this combo makes for a pleasant shooting bow
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
terrym

Post by terrym »

Well so far my Phoenix has the Boo string but by next season I will definitely also have an STS. I have used them on all my last 1/2 dzn compound bows and see no reason on why "not" to use a device like that. Limb protection alone is worth the extra weight.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Where is the best place to buy the STS in Ontario?
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
terrym

Post by terrym »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Where is the best place to buy the STS in Ontario?
The Bowshop in Wateloo carries them and they do mail order.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The combination of an STS and a BOO with whiskers is AMAZING. I will never go back to a setup without either one of these two items. Well worth the $ and the weight added. I do think the Boo string is the biggest killer of noise out of the two items. If I had to pick just one to buy it would be the string.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I tryed the STS and I have a ouestion about it's use.
When I cock my crossbow , I hook the string with the hook against the rail and my finger against the hook to pull the string back to hook the left side of the cocking rope. With the STS against the string, I have trouble with the string sliding sideways when I'm trying to get my hand against
the hook with the STS on the bow.
Does the string right itself when pulled back or is it pulled back off center
since it is hooked off center. I like the STS but I want to be as accurate as I can be. Thanks, TENN. Equinox
Tenn.

Equinox
Boo

Post by Boo »

Tenn. Equinox wrote:I tryed the STS and I have a ouestion about it's use.
When I cock my crossbow , I hook the string with the hook against the rail and my finger against the hook to pull the string back to hook the left side of the cocking rope. With the STS against the string, I have trouble with the string sliding sideways when I'm trying to get my hand against
the hook with the STS on the bow.
Does the string right itself when pulled back or is it pulled back off center
since it is hooked off center. I like the STS but I want to be as accurate as I can be. Thanks, TENN. Equinox
You can do one or all of three things.
Mark the serving on either side of the rail to confirm placement when cocked.
Lengthen the cocking rope so you don't have to disturb the string.
Shoot at the same hole at 30 yards to see what happens!
I have to lift the string quite a few inches like you describe and cannot shoot the same spot at 30 yards without damaging arrows.
Michael Stogre

Value of STS system

Post by Michael Stogre »

I have been using an STS system and a Boo string on my phoenix for
just over a year now. While hunting with my whiskered Boo string I messed
up on my first shot, but was able to reload and drop a a yearling buck on
the second shot. It was a forbidden head-on shot. I attribute my ability to
get a second shot partially to the quietness of the set-up, the inexperience
of the young buck, and my willingness to take a risk having learned that
it had been done before!

As a member of the dry-fire club I appreciate the STS system for that
reason as well.

By the way I am nearly up to 800 shots with my first pair of rubber stoppers. Any one know who holds the record for most shots with the same pair of EDS stoppers?

I know the limbsaver handy man claims two thousand for his home made
set up, but what is the upper limit for the EDS stoppers?
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)