Xbow noise source?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUS314

agree

Post by BUS314 »

I tapped mine with an ink pen & it had a hammer on anvil sound

x-bowhunr wrote:Lucky strike, the ringing sound may also be from the stirrup. When you flick it with your finger or another solid object its vibration makes such a ringing sound that would be even louder and longer from the shock of firing the x-bow. That's why I attached a set of limbsaver bolt-on, vertical bow stabilizer-end attachments to the stirrup on my Equinox. Now the stirrup doesn"t ring at all when struck. Also, this is one dampener location that won't reduce velocity. Just a possible answer to what you described.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Everything you've heard is right, Lucky!

Crossbows ARE loud, compared to modern compounds.

Used for reasonable shots at unaware animals, it doesn't matter.

A few noise-reducing measures help some, but not much.

And that's about it! :D
Grizz
terrym

Post by terrym »

Has anybody added Sims type limbsavers on thier crossbows? I'm thinking of adding some to mine but wonder if they can take the shock of a 175lb limb compared to a regular compound bow?
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I can tell you from experience that even a relaxed deer can jump the string. Just this last winter I had a doe broadside at 42 yards (lasered) that had its head down and was feeding totally unaware that I existed. I placed the sight just behind the front shoulder at about the middle of the chest and slowly squeezed off a shot. The deer reacted so violently (appeared to drop down and almost fall over) that I was absolutely sure I hit it. She ran off about 15 yards, stopped and looked back and then trotted off. :shock:

I checked the area thoroughly - no blood, hair etc. Then I found the bolt in the bushes behind (the deer was standing out in the open) and there was not a drop of blood or hair on the bolt. It was a clean miss. I would not have believed it if I did not see it for myself. I now keep the shots to within 30 yards and put the scope on the junction of the lower and middle third region to compensate for the drop if they do respond.
BUS314

well

Post by BUS314 »

a very reliable source told me they won't stay long & his word was good enough for me

terrym wrote:Has anybody added Sims type limbsavers on thier crossbows? I'm thinking of adding some to mine but wonder if they can take the shock of a 175lb limb compared to a regular compound bow?
dutchhunter

noise

Post by dutchhunter »

a littel strip of felt or mole skin on the under side of the arrow spring will quiet it down when it slaps the rail DUTCH
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I put a little electrician's tape like a washer to deaden the junction of the stirrup and the bow on my phoenix, and just punched through it with the screws. I also put that adhesive camo covering made for vert bow shelf lining on the stock to quieten the noise of touching things, and to deaden the sound generally from the stock and it kills the shine, too.
the sts installation and two sets of cat whiskers complete the sound dampening so far... I am thinking of dipping the stirrup in that liquid electrician's tape rubberized coating you can dip or paint onto metal items like pliers, etc.
My phoenix just makes a dull thump when shot.
I also placed a soft seat foam cushion segment on the butt stock for a cheek rest and hold it in place with an elastic stretch cartridge holder meant for a rifle stock...cut the stitching between two of the loops and the rope cocker handles slip in there easily and stay quiet and close at hand.. not sure if it deadens the sound any but the rubber and elastic cannot hurt.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
bowtime

Noise

Post by bowtime »

Kucky Strike,I have found that much of the noise comes from trigger.
When I uncock the bow after hunting I hear the loud crack of the trigger.
I have a Phoenix also.