?removing trigger assembly?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

x-bowhunr

?removing trigger assembly?

Post by x-bowhunr »

I have disassembled my Equinox to add some spray foam to the rail voids as hikerman, enormous, saxman, belt&suspenders and others have talked about on the forum. I know the trigger needs to be removed too, but I never read a step by step how to accomplish that. I see the two allen head bolts that hold the entire trigger, safety and sight mounting base assembly into the rear of the rail unit. Plus, I see the single allenhead bolt just behind the moving trigger itself. Is that the only one that needs to be removed or do it first, then the other two and the whole assembly slid-out of the rail unit? Also, I was unsure whether you others added foam to just the lower or just the upper rail hollows or to both hollows. I'd greatly appreciate responses from you forum family members who have successfully accomplished this procedure. Thanks!! :?:
Timothy
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Thanks bstout. I just removed it as you directed. I see that the whole assembly lifts straight up and out once those two allen bolts are removed. I thought it had to slide-out rearward but since it doesn't, the trigger itself can stay attached to the removable unit. Now, I'll just wait to hear from others concerning whether to sprayfoam both of the side-by-side upper hollows and the single,larger lower hollow too. Thanks again!
Timothy
M&M

Post by M&M »

when you remove the trigger assembly is the part that engages the string when you cock it [looks like a 2 fingered tab] part of it? because I would like to polish it a little, smooth it up a bit so it may be a little gentler on the sting serving. M&M
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

I person personally fill both units. Top and bottom. This procedure does not reduce speed and lessons vibration noise. Contrary to what you hear, if you do this, plus use STS, plus the dissipator pads, and even Whiskers on your string (FFF or Boo) you will not lose any speed and you will notice a distinct difference. The strings that you get with the bow are not as fast as FFF, which you will gain speed, and adding whiskers to the same will only reduce a few feet per second, so you will still have an advantage over stock speed. And your bow will feel beautiful, and lack a lot of vibraton noise. And you will hear the difference. I have tested this many times. With other bow's and chrony's. Anything you can do to elimanate vibration noise or feel and sound, without compromising speed is a bonus. When you start loosing speed for it, then it starts to lose it's appeal.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Yes M&m. The entire trigger assembly connected to the top cocking unit , safety and sight base all lift out the top rear of the rail together. When the whole unit is out you can push back the center piece behind those two fingers and they will drop down into the cocked position to smooth the back of them. Then just pull the trigger to reposition them when you finish. Smoothing their contact area if it isn't already smooth sounds like a good idea, but mine appeared to be OK.
Timothy
mikej

Post by mikej »

does this add much weight to the bow?
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Mikej, the expandable foam is extremely light-weight material. Filling all three hollows inside the rail requires only a very small portion of a 12 oz. can. I didn't weigh the rail unit before and after, but I really couldn't feel any noticeable difference when handling it afterwards.
Timothy
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Thanks John for your response and knowledgable opinions concerning rail dampening and custom string benefits. Like you, I like the dissipator pads and the STS too. I will order two 3-F or Boo strings this summer before testing/sighting-in broadheads.
Timothy