Camo arrows for turkeys?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Camo arrows for turkeys?

Post by Pydpiper »

I made 2 batches of arrows for turkey hunting, one is 4" vanes and the other batch is 2" blazers. I have shot them all during the typical trial stage, but I often wonder if they will ever been seen again after passing through a bird, or anything else for that matter. I put my heart and soul in to my arrows, I consider them disposable but really do not like to lose them.
I have a foolproof way of finding my arrows but it only applies to the typical fluorescent fletching that is on the rest of my arrows.
I think I am going to strip my camo arrows back down and keep them bright.
My wife made me a camo sock last year that covers the quiver, and of course the one in the rail can not be seen. It was originally there to protect my arrows while encased in the case she made me, but it turned out the quiver sock works very well while hunting to keep snow/sleet off my arrows. I have posted this before, but thought it was worthy of another pass, after all, turkey season is getting dangerously close. :D

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

camo arrows

Post by dutchhunter »

try a lumanock on the camo arrows for turkey hunting i want to get a few to DUTCH
mikej

Post by mikej »

does she make cases and socks for sale?
Grizzly Adam

Re: Camo arrows for turkeys?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: I think I am going to strip my camo arrows back down and keep them bright.
I've never had any use for camo arrows or fletching, Pyd ... even when using vertical bows. I like to see the arrow in flight, if I can. I've traditionally used a solid white crown dip and all white fletching.

When I got my Excal and Right Stuff package, the fletching on the arrows was BROWN, ORANGE and BLACK on dark gray shafting! :shock: :shock: :!: :!:

In the fall woods, that's about as good as camo!

When hunting with a crossbow, the crown dip and fletch color doesn't matter ... like the string, it's all hidden by the limbs (most of it, anyway) ... and it lays in such low profile as to be virtually invisible from the front.

As long as your quivered arrows are hidden, I think you're fine with any color.

Nice quiver sock, BTW. :D
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:does she make cases and socks for sale?
The case was a bit of a PIA, but she will be happy to make more of the socks that slip over the quiver for the GP mount.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

Pydpiper wrote:
mikej wrote:does she make cases and socks for sale?
The case was a bit of a PIA, but she will be happy to make more of the socks that slip over the quiver for the GP mount.
would they fit danny millers mount
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It fits over the Excalibur quiver, I don't think it would matter what it is connected to. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

sweet how much
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It would just be the cost of material Mike, there are a few people who want one now so she is going to make some improvements over mine.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

i'm inerested let me know when where and how much :lol: . any suggestions on how to modify my case to fit the quiver and the sock? right now i have to take the quiver off to fit the bow in the case it is a pain in the a$$
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:i'm inerested let me know when where and how much :lol: . any suggestions on how to modify my case to fit the quiver and the sock? right now i have to take the quiver off to fit the bow in the case it is a pain in the a$$
I have to take my quiver off too, but I can put it back on once it is in the case. The case has a small square hole in the top to accommodate the quiver, it also has two in the back so I can use my sling.
When she finished it I brought it to the Aylmer MNR to make sure it would pass a field inspection with the holes in it, as well as the fact the rail stays out of the case. They all loved it! It is thin material so I can scrunch the whole case up in to a pocket when not in use.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

that is exactly what i was thinking. having to remove it to case it up and then put it back on with the sock over it. was that a case that was modified or did she make you the case herself? what do you mean the rail stays out of the case? boy did this thread get hijacked fast :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thats pretty nifty:)

but as you said, thats why I like bright wraps. I want to actaully find my arrow after the shot. The big issue that comes into play with turkeys is their sight. They definitly can see the bright colors

I have yet to see a turkey spot my 11-87 though :lol: :D

im beting you could sell a few of those socks though :lol: :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:that is exactly what i was thinking. having to remove it to case it up and then put it back on with the sock over it. was that a case that was modified or did she make you the case herself? what do you mean the rail stays out of the case? boy did this thread get hijacked fast :lol:
Sorry, I meant the stirrup stays out of the case..
The case was her doing, nothing modified.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Jenn is heading out now to find some material, she is going to look for something a little closer to pattern on our bows.
Also, she had an idea to make a smaller sleeve to just fit over the fletching with elastic cuffs to keep them in place.
I just love when she talks about hunting stuff.. :D
WMU 91
Boo string