scope rings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

blackjack

scope rings

Post by blackjack »

hi to all. l just brought a new equinox 2008 model old stock from a dealer down under l have a y25 but l've not fitted a scope to it l brought a lumi zone scope today with scope rings in a medium size the gap between the excalibur scope mounting bracket & the scope is 1/2 an inch it seems abit high can anyone tell me what the correct distance should be. best regards blackjack
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

5/8" (or medium) is the standard height. If that's too tall you can either try the 3/8" high rings to lower the scope, or install the cheek pad that Excalibur just came out with in 2009. That might get your cheek up for better eye alignment.
blackjack

thanks mate

Post by blackjack »

bstout wrote:I like my scope to be mounted as low as possible. It's more natural for me when aiming.

I've had other scope ring issues in the past that I won't go into detail, but these are my all time favorites. These rings are Leupold 54144 steel rings.

They're indestructible. You'd have a hard time destroying these on purpose much less by accident from over tightening and other abuse.

They're a little pricey but worth every penny.

blackjack

thanks its was the sight ajustment l was concerned about.

Post by blackjack »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:5/8" (or medium) is the standard height. If that's too tall you can either try the 3/8" high rings to lower the scope, or install the cheek pad that Excalibur just came out with in 2009. That might get your cheek up for better eye alignment.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Blackjack ...

Make sure to write your replies in the box provided, not the subject line.

When done in the subject line, the font is so tiny that no one will read it (though I did! :lol: ) and everyone will probably wonder why you didn't say anything in quoting another post!

Hope this helps! :D

How's everything down under?
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Burris Z rings work great, low. If windage adjustment is necessary to alighn barrel with baser, then Millet rings are great..
mikej

Post by mikej »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Hey, Blackjack ...

Make sure to write your replies in the box provided, not the subject line.

When done in the subject line, the font is so tiny that no one will read it (though I did! :lol: ) and everyone will probably wonder why you didn't say anything in quoting another post!

Hope this helps! :D

How's everything down under?
i couldn't figure out why he posted a blank reply. good eye grzz :lol: :lol:
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

I agree with the above advice concerning scope ring options. I have used the three brands/models mentioned above to mount scopes on rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders and was completely satisfied with all. As, Pheonix_Tom suggested, adding Excalibur's new cheekpiece or your own add-on idea would improve eye/scope alignment.
Since bstout posted a picture which I never tried yet, let me ask a ques. that his scope mount photo can be used perfectly as a visual reference to. Notice that the plastic-flech vanes on a cocked and loaded Excalibur are contacting the tapered bottom of the scope base enough to be bent downward. Has anyone else been concerned about this causing a change in bolt flight during colder weather hunting? Feather fletching would likely not be affected by the cold even in a cocked position for several hours. But most of us use plastic fletch and when cold they are not as flexible as normal and being held aside for hours most likely would not immediately regain original shape when fired. Couldn't this affect the hunting accuracy in freezing weather for those of us who hunt in such climates? Because I feared it could, I removed and modified the shape of my base using a air compressor-powered cutter/grinder. It only took me 20 min. to reshape both sides an redarken with "aluminum black" gunsmithing chemical. Now the vanes have total clearance.
Timothy
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm wondering if 2" Blazers contact as much ... if any. Will need to try em for fit tomorrow. Been thinking about trying the 1.8" Duravanes used for 3D. They are even shorter in height. An acquaintance from another forum indicates good accuracy with them.