Found the perfect broadhead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Found the perfect broadhead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by wabi »

I see a lot of threads appearing now on broadhead performance.

Does brand A shoot well? Is it better than brand B?

I've tried a lot of broadheads over the years. Brand A was really good, but brand B seemed to do good, too. I did have a problem with brand C - they weren't accurate from my setup, so I never hunted with them.

Well, this year I tried brand D! They beat everything I've tried in the past! Flat out great performance. Two shots, two deer down and out very quickly!

Then it hit me - it wasn't the brand of broadhead I was using - it was the fact they shoot very accurately with my setup, they are scary sharp, and I put them right where they should go!

The only way to find brand D is to buy a pack and try them in your crossbow. If they are sharp and they shoot accurately it's up to you from there. Put them where they need to go and you will have plenty of meat.

Not trying to be a smart a&&, but the brand and type have little to do with the effectiveness. If it's legal size (cutting width), super sharp, and you put it in the right place (for me that's through BOTH lungs), it will do the job.
:wink:

I've also noticed different results for different people here when it comes to accuracy. I figured out quite a while back that it is the complete package that gives the accuracy results. By that I mean just because brand D is very accurate from MY bow with MY arrows doesn't mean you will get the same results. I may have a different weight head, a different arrow shaft, of different fletching and get completely different results. Any change in any component CAN make a huge change in results. The only way to know is try them in YOUR bow with YOUR arrows. Picking a brand a lot of people have had good results with will narrow down the search, but you still need to test carefully for accuracy.
wabi
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Re: Found the perfect broadhead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: If it's legal size (cutting width), super sharp, and you put it in the right place (for me that's through BOTH lungs), it will do the job.

The only way to know is try them in YOUR bow with YOUR arrows.
Exactly, Mike. :D
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

BH D is named the one's that work the best for you! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Great post.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I always thouht shot placement was the key.The more arteries cut the the quicker the kill regardless the broadhead used.cutting diameter would also play a big part in this.the most important part is knowing where your broadhead is hitting.
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Very sensible and correct explanation wabi. It also applies to bolt type and bolt wt., just as it does to ammo components which require personal testing in your individual firearms to find what combination load performs best in each of them. However, it does help when we share what does work best in our weapons so other members only need to test a few of the better options to save time and expense. It would be useful to others when we mention our best performing hunting head to also mention the bolt material, fletching size, the total bolt weight, and the draw wt. of our Excalibur model.(fps is nice to add too but many of us don't have a chrono, though some shops with shooting ranges do that would tell us velocity.) Thanks to all who share their testings on this forum. :) :)
Timothy
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Shot placement and confidence in your equipment works wonders! That’s half the battle won!
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Ok I think I understand. If I use Broadhead D on the end of Bolt C and shoot it out crossbow E using string B looking through Scope L and connect with a double lung shot on big game animal M then it all works. That is of course if I have hung treestand T in the right spot....
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Normous

Post by Normous »

Canabow wrote:Ok I think I understand. If I use Broadhead D on the end of Bolt C and shoot it out crossbow E using string B looking through Scope L and connect with a double lung shot on big game animal M then it all works. That is of course if I have hung treestand T in the right spot....
Yes, you got it right :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

In general the message is correct. However, there are difinite differences in broadheads.

All else remaining the same . . .the wider they are and the more blades they have, the quicker the animal will bleed out. If you are hunting in very thick brush, then an extra 10 yards is a real pain in the arse. Take a look at the broadhead data supplied by the forum. . .the difference in recovery is obvious between the small head Wasp and the large head Hammerheads/Stricknines.

The more surface they have, the larger the chance for planing and less likely they are to "fly just like field tips".

Anyway, there are differences . . .but, when it comes right down to pulling the trigger . . .wabi is absolutely correct, you better have confidence. You will have confidence if your set up flies right for you. Practice, practice, practice and make any changes now . . .don't wait until October.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

sumner4991 wrote:In general the message is correct. However, there are difinite differences in broadheads.

All else remaining the same . . .the wider they are and the more blades they have, the quicker the animal will bleed out. If you are hunting in very thick brush, then an extra 10 yards is a real pain in the arse. Take a look at the broadhead data supplied by the forum. . .the difference in recovery is obvious between the small head Wasp and the large head Hammerheads/Stricknines.

The more surface they have, the larger the chance for planing and less likely they are to "fly just like field tips".

Anyway, there are differences . . .but, when it comes right down to pulling the trigger . . .wabi is absolutely correct, you better have confidence. You will have confidence if your set up flies right for you. Practice, practice, practice and make any changes now . . .don't wait until October.
Starting with Wabi's first post and the above statement, there is alot of truth in them. Wind can really effect the larger cutting diameter fixed heads. I have witnessed a bow (shooting 1.5" fixed heads) that was very accurate go crazy with only strong winds as a difference. The wider the cutting diameter, the better chance you have to cut a main artery to have a bleed out faster, but if your accuracy is lessened because of wind, that is not good. Brand D head with your bow with the best accuracy is most important. Wabi's post goes with what I say about your choice of a head for turkey hunting, use your normal hunting set up if your happy and have confidence in that setup.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like the brand X----- when it marks the spot...Ü.....yes I know Im a smart a$$...

good read Wabi....right to the point..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
mikej

Post by mikej »

good post wabi
huntman

Post by huntman »

very well said!