Turkey Season is here. Strike one!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Turkey Season is here. Strike one!

Post by theoldarcher »

I thought it was tough hunting with a bow for turkey but hunting with a crossbow is even tougher. Turkey season got underway here in Georgia this past Saturday and I am hunting with my Phoenix trying to take my first crossbow bird. I have successfully taken birds in the past with both my recurve and compound bows and while it wasn’t a chip shot I managed to take several with them.

I absolutely hate hunting out of a blind for the simple reason it restricts my vision and hearing and as old as I’m getting both my hearing and eyes need all the help they can get. I like to find a big old tree, nestle in all small and cozy, and call.

Yelping away on my slate call and holding a bow wasn’t very hard and after a while I never thought about it. However, for the life of me I can’t seem to hold my crossbow and use my slate. I have to lay my crossbow in my lap and call and of course as luck would have it the old gobbler sneaks in all quite and catch’s me off guard. So here I sit, crossbow in lap, old Mr. Gobbler less than 20 yards and no way to get it up to my shoulder to shoot without him turning inside out. Needless to say the Gobbler won that round.
I guess I will have to dig my blind out of mothballs and learn to like it.
Any bowhunter who says that crossbows give the user an unfair advantage over the traditional bow hunter has never tried hunting with a crossbow.
cdup

Post by cdup »

Any bowhunter who says that crossbows give the user an unfair advantage over the traditional bow hunter has never tried hunting with a crossbow.

Only untill they hunt with one, they will never know! Good luck with the turkeys, you're get another chance. :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It sounds like you are on the right track! I have to admit, I am terribly jealous that you are out there.. OK, maybe just a bit envious.

I like slate calls, I have no use for a box call and I can understand how hard of a balance it is to hold that bow and a call and make them both work flawlessly. I have resorted to using two calls, I use my slate for as long as I can, then when the pressure is on I rely on a mouth reed and/or a call that mounts to the bottom of my rail and operates from a string, so far it has been a great system and I have yet to retire a tag that wasn't attached to a bird.

Happy hunting! Good luck out there.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Better luck next time! :D
Grizz
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I seen a crossbow holder made from copper piping it holds the bow at what ever height you need it out in front of you , it is kinda hard to decribe how to make it but im going to try , so with 1/2 inch copper pipe you come up from ground to a T then go both ways about 3 inches to another T at both ends then go out about 1 inch both ways on both ends to a 90 on all four corners then go up the height of your bow stockor so about a couple inches , then you pad the piping to hold your bow snug , then on the ground end you put a pointed rod that fits in the copper pipe and push it in the ground to hold it up sturdy and at what ever height you need it at . hope this helps guys , i hope you can make sence of it .
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

For the holder you can also drill and pin the pipe that comes up from the ground so you can set it at different heights .
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

It's about 7:30 p.m. here now. At 15 till 7 I was sitting on the front porch watching my flock of birds on the hillside feed to thier roosting site. As luck would have it they pass within 20 yards of a blow down on thier way to roost. I found some burlap blind material that I had forgot about having in the shed while looking for my popup this afternoon. Tomorrow well before roost time I am going to set up a make shift blind in the blow down and wait. I like the idea of a crossbow holder and will play with the making of one this weekend. If everything goes as planed (murphys law not withstanding) hopefully Old Tom will be in trouble tomorrow.
cdup

Post by cdup »

xbowking wrote:I seen a crossbow holder made from copper piping it holds the bow at what ever height you need it out in front of you , it is kinda hard to decribe how to make it but im going to try , so with 1/2 inch copper pipe you come up from ground to a T then go both ways about 3 inches to another T at both ends then go out about 1 inch both ways on both ends to a 90 on all four corners then go up the height of your bow stockor so about a couple inches , then you pad the piping to hold your bow snug , then on the ground end you put a pointed rod that fits in the copper pipe and push it in the ground to hold it up sturdy and at what ever height you need it at . hope this helps guys , i hope you can make sence of it .
Sounds easy enough, but I would recommend 3/4" or 7/8" copper tubing. You could save on materials if you do away with the 90's and just bend the soft tubing into a short sweeping 90.JMHO. If you want I could solder something up and see if that is what you are describing. :wink:
Respect everyone, but fear no one
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Im going to solder on up tomorrow night and i will post pics , i cold fitted one tonight and off the 2 "T" 's at each end you just go right to a 90 , the kind of 90's that are only flared on one end put the small end right into the T and that seems to fit the stock just right . i just might take some pics tonight .
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

ImageImageImage
here is the crossbow holder , just add your lenght of pole you need to the ground , I hate dial up it only took me about an hour to get these 3 pics on here , hope they work , GEEEEEEZZZ im ready for bed.
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Looks good thanks for the pics,I will make one for tukey hunting and paint or wrap with camo tape.How are the turkeys doing up your way?I saw quite a few near Minden this winter.
The best things in life are not things!!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Good job xbowking wrap with pipe insulation to make sure no noise looks good for any kind of hunting.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
lscha

Post by lscha »

Could this be done with PVC connections?
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

lscha wrote:Could this be done with PVC connections?

Absolutely. :D

Personally, I prefer just to use an adjustable shooting stick for hand support ... but my hands are big enough that I can grasp the stick well with my bottom two fingers and hold a gun or a bow with my thumb, index and middle finger.

Whatever suits each of us best, I say! 8)
Grizz
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

lscha wrote:Could this be done with PVC connections?
Yes you could use PVC , but the main support pole might have to be more rigid , just put the metal rod that you need to stick in the ground up inside the PVC farther , good idea Ischa. PVC is alot lighter than copper . cooool!! :D
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS